Author Topic: Pitch bend to Aftertouch?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Teknoss

Pitch bend to Aftertouch?
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »
Hi guys.
(REPOST, still looking for answers.)

I have a Tyros5 and a Genos and I would like to edit a voice so I can use aftertouch for pitch bend.
I don't want to use the pitch bend weel coz my left hand is busy playing chords (I use midi bass pedals)

I know that is NOT possible to assign pitch bend to aftertouch with Voice Set or Expansion Manager software.
(And using a pedal for pitch or glide is not an option for me because I'm busy playing bass pedals with my feets)

I have a Korg PAx3 and I did some voices (mainly guitars) with pitch bend asiggned to aftertouch so I can play very realistic guitar solos without using my left hand for pitch bend and I want the same on my Tyros5.

I spoke with Martin Harris about this matter on NAMM 2014 and he looked confused and he said:
“I think that is not possible but I will pass your suggestions to the developers." Lol.

But, on the Tyros5 reference manual (also in Genos)  there is some parameters on midi data format that maybe I can use to edit a voice file (we know that each voice is just a midi file with parameters)

What if we can add some parameters on a voice file and make our personalized voices with features that are hidden by yamaha?

There is CAT PITCH CONTROL parameters on the reference manual (and I believe that CAT means Channel After Touch)
I need to assign  1 semitone pitch bend to aftertouch.

But how and where to add those criptic hexadecimal parameters on the midi voice file?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

I apologize for my bad english.
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline Dromeus

Re: Pitch bend to Aftertouch?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »
Hi

The CAT PITCH CONTROL parameter is not what you are looking for, as it controls a pitch range (-24…0…+24 semitones), meaning it has 49 discrete values only.

I'm not sure that it is a good idea to control pitch bend using channel aftertouch. Pitch bend uses two bytes to get the necessary resolution (the ear is quite sensitive to slight pitch changes), where aftertouch uses one byte only. Therefore when trying to control pitch bend with aftertouch you may hear steps instead of a continuous pitch change. Moreover pitch bend is possible in two directions (-/+) which would not be available using AT.

I don't know what you are actually trying to achieve, but did you have a look at Portamento (Voice Edit / Common)? For mono sounds it's a slick way to get a smooth pitch change from the start key to the target key.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:58:48 AM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:14:28 AM »
Hi,
Yes I know what I’m looking for:
CAT PITCH CONTROL.
And yes (again) I’m sure that’s is a good idea.
I wrote on my post about that I’m using pitch bend assigned to aftertouch on a Korg PA3x
It’s common parameters on midi, (but they use different sysex) but the PA3x has the tools onboard to program the voices like that.
Yamahas doesn’t.

"pitch bend is possible in two directions (-/+) which would not be available using AT."
Yes I know. And as I wrote on the post, I need a semitone + CAT pitch control.
(Guitars vibrato and pitch usually are positive values only)

"I don't know what you are actually trying to achieve, but did you have a look at Portamento (Voice Edit / Common)? For mono sounds it's a slick way to get a smooth pitch change from the start key to the target key"
LOL Obviously that is not what I need.
Not even close.
I wrote on my post that’s I need this to play realistic solos (mainly) guitars and it requires pitch bend with one hand only.
Pitch bend on aftertouch it’s very realistic.
Using pitch bend wheel/joystick sound like a joke on guitars sounds.

But thanks for trying.

Hi

The CAT PITCH CONTROL parameter is not what you are looking for, as it controls a pitch range (-24…0…+24 semitones), meaning it has 49 discrete values only.

I'm not sure that it is a good idea to control pitch bend using channel aftertouch. Pitch bend uses two bytes to get the necessary resolution (the ear is quite sensitive to slight pitch changes), where aftertouch uses one byte only. Therefore when trying to control pitch bend with aftertouch you may hear steps instead of a continuous pitch change. Moreover pitch bend is possible in two directions (-/+) which would not be available using AT.

I don't know what you are actually trying to achieve, but did you have a look at Portamento (Voice Edit / Common)? For mono sounds it's a slick way to get a smooth pitch change from the start key to the target key.
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
Glad you found my answer amusing  ::).

You can send the CAT PITCH CONTROL sysex to the Right1-3 and Left Parts (and to the Song parts) as described in the datalist. But you cannot store this as a user voice or in a registration, it is not supported. That's why I would not use it for live performance. In the studio it may be used easily using any software capable to send a sysex event.
Regards, Michael

vanray

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »
Hi
This can definitely be done on the TECHNICS KN7000
in this video he talks you through the settings,
maby these settings are the same as the Genos or T5

https://youtu.be/vzssMW74GvM?t=2m26s

Offline StuartR

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
Hi guys.
(REPOST, still looking for answers.)

I have a Tyros5 and a Genos and I would like to edit a voice so I can use aftertouch for pitch bend.
I don't want to use the pitch bend weel coz my left hand is busy playing chords (I use midi bass pedals)

I know that is NOT possible to assign pitch bend to aftertouch with Voice Set or Expansion Manager software.
(And using a pedal for pitch or glide is not an option for me because I'm busy playing bass pedals with my feets)

I have a Korg PAx3 and I did some voices (mainly guitars) with pitch bend asiggned to aftertouch so I can play very realistic guitar solos without using my left hand for pitch bend and I want the same on my Tyros5.

I spoke with Martin Harris about this matter on NAMM 2014 and he looked confused and he said:
“I think that is not possible but I will pass your suggestions to the developers." Lol.

I agree. This would be very useful to have.