Author Topic: Shortcoming of external midi pedal  (Read 6382 times)

Offline voodoo

Shortcoming of external midi pedal
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:26 PM »
Hi,

I tried to use external midi control pedal MFC10 or FCB1010. However, I found that the options found in the midi menu are incomplete:

* It is not possible to control volume of some keyboard parts, like right1-right2. Only one part or all keyboard parts are selectable.
* It is not possible to control volume of keyboard parts without destroying the balance. All volume sliders are set to the same value when moving the expression pedal.
* it is not possible to control volume of whole keyboard, including keyboard parts, song, style and multipads.
* It is not possible to control sustain of some keyboard parts. Only one are all.
* It is not possible to control wah pedal. (Or is it the option "foot controller CC4"? Have to try this)
* It is not possible to switch rotary speed. (!!)

So all relevant functions I would like to have for an expression pedal do not work via midi.

In contrast, with an expression pedal directly connected to Genos, you can:

* Control the volume of any combination of parts
* Control the volume of parts keeping the balance
* Control the volume of whole keyboard
* Control sustain for any combination of parts
* Control wah pedal for any combination of parts
* Switch rotary speed for any combination of parts

So I will have to use a conventional analog expression pedal to use theses functions.

However, the other way round:

* A midi attached switch can control song position marker and song loop. (At least it should do. I did not get this to work.)
* A directly attached switch cannot control song position and loop.

So Yamaha, why are the assignable options so different?

Uli

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:59:56 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline valimaties

Re: Shortcoming of external midi pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »
Hi,

I tried to use external midi control pedal MFC10 or FCB1010. However, I found that the options found in the midi menu are incomplete:

* It is not possible to control volume of some keyboard parts, like right1-right2. Only one part or all keyboard parts are selectable.
* 1. It is not possible to control volume of keyboard parts without destroying the balance. All volume sliders are set to the same value when moving the expression pedal.
* 2. it is not possible to control volume of whole keyboard, including keyboard parts, song, style and multipads.
* 3. It is not possible to control sustain of some keyboard parts. Only one are all.
* It is not possible to control wah pedal. (Or is it the option "foot controller CC4"? Have to try this)
* It is not possible to switch rotary speed. (!!)

So all relevant functions I would like to have for an expression pedal do not work via midi.

In contrast, with an expression pedal directly connected to Genos, you can:

* Control the volume of any combination of parts
* Control the volume of parts keeping the balance
* Control the volume of whole keyboard
* Control sustain for any combination of parts
* Control wah pedal for any combination of parts
* Switch rotary speed for any combination of parts

So I will have to use a conventional analog expression pedal to use theses functions.

However, the other way round:

* A midi attached switch can control song position marker and song loop. (At least it should do. I did not get this to work.)
* A directly attached switch cannot control song position and loop.

So Yamaha, why are the assignable options so different?

Uli

Bolded font:
1: You have to setup midi pedal for expression not volume ;) I've set up my MFC10 with Expression on pedal and it's working, without destroying individual volumes...
2. Yes you can, you have not set up the parameters correctly.
3. You can control sustain for individual parts (R1, R2, R3) using sustain pedal? I didn't know that. I don't think it is possible

I didn't tried the rest yet...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

Re: Shortcoming of external midi pedal
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:50:26 AM »
Valimaties,

thank you for your excellent comments.

1. Yes you are right. Expression works perfectly without destroying volume balance. Actually, mfc10 setup "expression" is exactly the same function as external pedal "Volume". The naming seems to be inconsistent. I Found out this after writing the above. Thanks for correcting.

2. I did not find the correct setting to control the overall volume. Selectable parts are only Right1 to Right 3, left, Keyboard and style parts.

3. Yes you can. In pedal setup there are check marks for left, right1, right2, right3. You can check any combination.

Uli

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D