Author Topic: Recording Question  (Read 7234 times)

loveride

Recording Question
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
I'm experimenting with a recording. What's the best way to record a chord on the first beat of 4 bars then have the style come in on the 5th bar? I've tried a couple of different things but thought maybe someone might have a better way to do it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:41:42 AM by loveride »

Offline panos

Re: Midi Recording Question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »
I am not sure what you are trying to do.
You want to record something that you are playing with a style as a midi file.
right?
If you want your style to come in at the 5th measure of your recording, you probably have to play an intro with 4 measures first.
After the 4 measure intro the style will begin automatically.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »
How are you playing the chord - with RH or LH?

Could you reprogram one of the style intros to be 4 blank measures?
Genos

loveride

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:45 AM »
I'm playing the chord with the RH. What I want is for the song to start with just a chord and no accompaniment on the first beat of the first bar then another chord on the first beat of the second bar, a third chord on first beat of third bar then the last chord on first beat of fourth bar followed by the style kicking in on first beat of fifth bar.

Offline EileenL

Re: Recording Question
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:29:38 AM »
The best thing is to set up two registration buttons. One with Style parts muted and the Other with the styles
volumes set where you want them. Start the song using button one and then press button two when you want the style to start.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Thanks Eileen for the advice of 2 reg. buttons in order to have a melodic intro without any style playing.
This in my experience would allow a smooth segue into the main song part.
Somehow, this workaround never ever occurred to me.

much appreciated

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
You can also have a 4 measure blank intro as Dereka said using the style creator by muting all parts of the intro.
This way the main will start automatically at the 5th bar without having to press any button,
if both hands are ocuppied at playing chords and melody.
To be able to keep the right tempo at a 4 measure empty intro, you could press the metronome button if you want to record it right.
If you want the parts of the style to play but you just don't want the drums of the part,just  delete(or mute) the drums of the intro.

The keyboard starts to record when one of these 3 happens:

1)You press the start button.

2)Hitting any key(note) of the keyboard.
Playing some music with no style first and when you hit the sync or start button the style begins too.
If you want to play the melodic part at the begining and want to use all the keys and not LH chords(lets say your both hands play a piano piece) ,
then deactivate the Acc button to the left first.
When you finish the melodic part,activate the Acc button again and press sync start or start.

3)Use the synchro start button.   
a...Playing a chord with your left hand and the style begins to play(most common way).
b...Have the synchro start on,play something with your right hand first and when you play a chord with your left hand the style begins(Acc button should be activated) 

loveride

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
I've tried to use the two registrations method and it works fine when I'm just playing but when I try to record in song mode the muted style reverts back to unmuted. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'd like to try making an 8 bar silent intro but don't a screen that allows me to edit an intro.

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
what is the problem with the screen exactly?

To make an 8 bar intro:
1.press Function
2.press F (digital rec menu)
3.press B (style creator)
4.press intro 1 on your keyboard (or 2, or 3,one that you don't need)
5.confirm ok (down to the right on your screen)
6.press B
7.press A
8.Now you see the pattern length menu to the down right.
9.navigate down to choose 8 pattern length
10.press D (Execute)
11.save to user folder or usb folder as a new style.

(The keyboard does not allow you to change any preset style unless you save it first as a new style.
This way Yamaha protects you from deleting or damaging a preset style by mistake)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:22:01 PM by panos »

loveride

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 10:59:45 PM »
Panos, thanks for the detailed instructions. I will try them out tonight. I think I might have left out the "execute" step.

loveride

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 03:49:52 AM »
I tried the detailed instructions Panos listed but steps 6. and 7. don't seem to to apply to my Tyros 5 and after choosing the pattern length "8" in step 9. the "execute" button is not lit. Perhaps someone with a Tryos 5 can shed some light here.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:31:32 AM by loveride »

loveride

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 06:38:04 AM »
Ok update, I found a video on youtube that outlined creating a new style from scratch that worked with the two registrations trick, just need to practice a little more and dial it in some. Thanks to all for the info and ideas, I really like this Forum.

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I am sorry my friend that I couldn't help.
I thought they worked the same.
I have just looked up all 128 pages of Tyros 5 manual but style creator is not even in the index section.
https://www.google.gr/search?q=tyros+5+manual&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=_PpiWovyBOyAX9r1nYgG

I use steps 6 and 7 so I can see the pattern length menu, otherwise it does not show up on the screen.
Maybe someone with a Tyros 5 could help here.

I prefer to find ways in a style to keep my fingers on the keys when I play a style and not have to remember what other buttons have to press, in what timing, with which hand etc.
if that is possible.
Unfortunately we are not all blessed with 10 quick tallanted fingers :'(