Author Topic: Complicated Jargon.  (Read 16569 times)

Offline Pianoman

Complicated Jargon.
« on: January 15, 2018, 01:26:33 AM »
I remember reading in many places that technology is there to serve mankind.

But not for mankind to turn it into an obsession.

If you look at the Forum section of "Songs Played By Forum Members" you will find that there are songs being played and posted almost every hour.

The majority who post their music range from those who own the oldest, to the latest PSRs, Tyroses and a couple of Genos owners.

They play and post music, that's what they do, because these are, after all, musical instruments.

There's music to suit every taste over there.

There's no complicated jargon, analyses, complaints, computer compatibility talk, DAW Software discussions.

Enquiries about Genos drinking and driving, Genos sleepwalking, or whether Genos is Male or Female.

There are questions about what the word Genos means.

Followed by other questions that question the first questioner, and whether the name is from ancient Greek or Hindi. And if the Mayans predicted the coming of Genos.

Bringing in answers from Greek experts, who agree with or dispute the answer given by the second responder.

Who was responding to the First responder, who actually was responding to a question by the second responder.

And not to an emergency that may or may not have taken place in the neighbourhood or nearby suburbs.

While at the same time questioning whether expectations have been met,
and whether Genos is single or a three time divorcee, or maybe a secret drinker.

Pop into the Members song section and post or listen to some good music being posted there.

The Genos has been in people's hands and homes for almost three months now.
It is a musical instrument, where is the music?

We all know that music is a great stress reliever.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:49:53 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Complicated Jargon.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:41:12 AM »
I tried to read your post, but there was too much jargon.

But if you want music posted, shaming people is the worst way to go about it. The lack of music posted is largely due to posts like yours.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:21 AM »
Pianoman,

Here is a link to the guidelines for this forum.  It's more than posting music.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40714.0.html

Here is a link to the Forum Index page... as you can see there are lots of boards (69) with lots of topics,  It's more than posting music.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:20:40 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:35 AM »
Hello Fred.

This was meant as a humorous take on the things I have been reading over the last couple of months.

It has never been, nor will it ever be, an intention on my part, to shame anyone here or elsewhere.

I am writing this almost three months after the first Genoses appeared.

Blaming the lack of music, for this entire period, on a humorous post written today, is a bit incomprehensible.

I am sure that some readers of this post will see the attemped humour in this.
It is perhaps clumsy humour, but that's what it is, just humour.

It is definitely not an attempt to shame anyone here.

Regarding it as such would be doing a great disservice to the amicability and camaraderie that has always existed here.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:43:42 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:11 AM »
Hello Fred.

This was meant as a humorous take on the on the things I have been reading over the last couple of months.

It has never been, nor will it ever be, an intention on my part, to shame anyone here or elsewhere.

I am writing this almost three months after the first Genoses appeared.

Blaming the lack of music, for this entire period, on a humorous post written today, is a bit incomprehensible.

I am sure that some readers of this post will see the attemped humour in this.
It is perhaps clumsy humour, but that's what it is, just humour.

It is definitely not an attempt to shame anyone here.

Regarding it as such would be doing a great disservice to the amicability and camarederie that has always existed here.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Obviously your attempt at humor went way over my head.

But sticking to your preferred topic, the major reason people don’t post music is they fear they’ll get a negative response (to paraphrase "your music sucks", which has happened more than once on this forum). Your post certainly didn’t allay these fears.

The next biggest reason is that it’s a lot of work for most people — record a decent version, upload it somewhere, post the link, etc.

So given these negatives, why wouldn’t people simply sit and play their Genos rather than post music here? Makes eminent sense to me.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 03:09:09 AM »
On the other hand, with posted songs, it might be instructive and informative to hear how the Genos sounds in the hands of sit and play types.  We get plenty of other opportunities to hear/see the videos of Yamaha professionals, who obviously play circles around most of us.

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:43:23 AM »
Why would i want to post my music on the internet?
I feel perfectly fine not doing so.
Does that make me a 2nd rate visitor on this place?

To me, an internet Forum is a place to ask Questions.
And to help other people that do have questions.

If i want to share my music with others, i will do so in church.

I really like your performances Pianoman.
But you also need to accept the fact that everyone is different
With different wants and needs.
Even when it comes to a forum like this.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:07:07 AM »
On the other hand, with posted songs, it might be instructive and informative to hear how the Genos sounds in the hands of sit and play types.  We get plenty of other opportunities to hear/see the videos of Yamaha professionals, who obviously play circles around most of us.

I agree. But to get amateurs to post their music, you have to give them a reason to go to the work of doing so, other than shaming them for not posting.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline alans

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
Well I enjoy listening to the songs posted by members,the thing is ,we get to hear all genres of music,from the simply played to the "arrangements",from the old standards to the more contemporary types of music,after all music is music,for anyone to invest in these marvelous instruments and produce some lovely music this has to be inspirational.

Naturally we dont all have the same tastes in music ,and the same ability to play at a high level , that is the best part,it opens up horizons,gives us ideas  for other types of music to think about.
As for poeple being afraid of criticism and disparaging  comments,I dont see it being given,only helpful and encouraging remarks and useful suggestions.

Everyone will make their own decision whether to make musical posts or not,and that is how it should be, we decide when want to post music.

Just my thoughts

Alan

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »

If you look at the Forum section of "Songs Played By Forum Members" you will find that there are songs being played and posted almost every hour.

The majority who post their music range from those who own the oldest, to the latest PSRs, Tyroses and a couple of Genos owners.

They play and post music, that's what they do, because these are, after all, musical instruments.

Hi Pianoman,,  Dear Abby, 8) ;) :)

This is a sticky wicket so am going ahead to extrapolate and somehow redefine what I think you had to say.
1.  Yes, the genos has taken over most of the topic, threads of this forum with endless debates, reviews,  etc.   Am only a 10 year
     member and am sure there are quite a few other older than me who can remember that each time a machine was released there
      were discussions upon discussions taking over the forum material.  Go back to the various machines, just take a look at the
      s910 1st page,, whatever you like and you will see that these machines were endlessly reviewed,  Pick one , take one go back
      and look.   This is the nature of the "animal" here and perhaps also have been guilty one time or another of participating in
      said discussions.   When the new machines are released, there is a whole new circus.   This board thrives on these discussions.
      Yes it is exhausting but a big part of this forum with many members interested.   
2.   The music board is the !water boy" of the forum and is a feature that I have heard, a favor to us players by the administrators.
      If wrong, will be advised.   It has been a fantastic resource to hear different styles, renditions.   Have picked up scads of ideas,
       tips, etc. from various posters.   If a poster wants a serious critique than one can go all out.   However, it is more for fun
       as the board topic suggests...  "songs played"..  Although like some of your music posts, not only do we get a song, but
        entertainment, and perhaps a showcase or two of a style, of a voice.instument.   There is a like button , if one does not want
       to leave a written reply, or one can listen or not reply at all.   The amount of replies to the amount of actual hits on a song is
       minimal and that is the thing one must overcome on this board.  It is not the negative comment that is discouraging it is
         the number of hits one gets on a song with no replies that messes me up.
3.    Genos owners have been posting music on regular genos threads and not on the music board.   There are quite a few music
        demo posts .  So if they have a "song" that they like and want to demo it, why not on the music board as well.
4.    I personally think you were trying to rev up interest in the music board part of the forum.  Thanks for that.   However,
         music posts goes in bits and spurts.   Messages are kept only 3 months.  Lots of my stuff went bye bye whereby in all
       other boards messages are kept ad infimum.
       Some of us do not have live venues or gigs, so posting music is more of an outlet ; personally for me, to perform what am
        able to do to other music members.  Have had songs that garnered more than expected and some songs that hit the dumpster.
        My advice to those that have songs that they want to post and are a bit wary, to put on your virtual Kevlar, post the song
           and then   "let it go",,, Just have fun.   Really appreciate your advancing the music board,, the more the merrier.

may you all enjoy your machines,, many days of happy playing.    Especially you Abby,,, thanks for all your wonderful contributions
and humor........

cheers
elaine

There's no complicated jargon, analyses, complaints, computer compatibility talk, DAW Software discussions.

Enquiries about Genos drinking and driving, Genos sleepwalking, or whether Genos is Male or Female.

Followed by other questions that question the first questioner, and whether the name is from ancient Greek or Hindi. And if the Mayans predicted the coming of Genos.

Bringing in answers from Greek experts, who agree with or dispute the answer given by the second responder.

Who was responding to the First responder, who actually was responding to a question by the second responder.

And not to an emergency that may or may not have taken place in the neighbourhood or nearby suburbs.

and whether Genos is single or a three time divorcee, or maybe a secret drinker.

Pop into the Members song section and post or listen to some good music being posted there.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:02:58 AM by motekmusic »
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »

Hi

can someone fix my last post.   I made a quote and thought my text was in regular type.   The quote is broken up.
Really botched it.

thanks

elaine

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »
I guess I am in the minority here but I thought it was a very well written and humorous post.   It was not in any way antagonistic or threatening in it's content. 

Maybe, as somebody wrote, it was too subtle and went right over their heads.

Vic

The following users thanked this post: Pianoman

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
I guess I am in the minority here but I thought it was a very well written and humorous post.   It was not in any way antagonistic or threatening in it's content. 

Maybe, as somebody wrote, it was too subtle and went right over their heads.

Vic

Hi again,
Reread my post and in no way did it mean to disparage any of Abby's thoughts.   Was just trying to unruffled feathers.  Guess am not
a 1st class feather unruffler.  Also agree that the message was cute and timely.  Sticky wicket.

Good post Abby,

cheers
elaine

Pino

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
I always thought that this forum should be divide into two

A    playing at your leisure at home for your own enjoyment

B   playing in front of an audience on a regular basis

Two totally different requirements

Pino

Offline alans

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
I always thought that this forum should be divide into two

A    playing at your leisure at home for your own enjoyment

B   playing in front of an audience on a regular basis

Two totally different requirements

Pino

Hi Pino

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood you,are you saying that there should not be a members songs section ?

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Pino

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »
Ok let’s say the song section, but, there would be a few ‘buts’

I really enjoy listening to good keyboard music when the player works the board to the max with many combinations of voices and good style arrangements,

It does dis-hearten me sometimes when I hear someone playing a piano voice all the way through a 4 minute song on a Tyros 5 when there is 1000+ voices available, even a strings as a second voice on the chorus would be more acceptable,

Just my opinion

Pino.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
Hello Everyone.

As I mentioned above, and will reiterate again, my original post was written with humour in mind.

The insistence on using the word  "Shaming" over and over again in some responses is, in my humble opinion, meant to provoke false outrage and raise people's blood pressure.

We have become too sensitive. It is unhealthy.

Ok, so I will never have a career or future in comedy, but it was a clumsy attempt I made, in the belief that we as adults here still possess a sense of humour.

I once was asked what I loved most about people in general.
My answer was immediate, I said that it was the ability of people to be able to laugh at themselves, and not just at others.

The British in particular, are very good at that.

And going back to the subject of posting music, I have stayed up almost the entire night, scanning music posts, and going back to almost 2 months ago.

I picked posts at random of course.
I have not come across a single post where a poster was told "Your music sucks."

All the comments I have read on the music posts were plaudits, encouragements, and suggestions.

Most of the people who have posted their music also seem to be home or hobby players, who wanted to share a favourite song, a Christmas song etc, or just share their joy.

All music is beautiful, it may not be someone's preferred music, but it is still beautiful.

So I will never be the next Jerry Seinfeld, but at least I tried.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:08:29 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Bill

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
Obviously your attempt at humor went way over my head.

But sticking to your preferred topic, the major reason people don’t post music is they fear they’ll get a negative response (to paraphrase "your music sucks", which has happened more than once on this forum). Your post certainly didn’t allay these fears.

The next biggest reason is that it’s a lot of work for most people — record a decent version, upload it somewhere, post the link, etc.

So given these negatives, why wouldn’t people simply sit and play their Genos rather than post music here? Makes eminent sense to me.

Fred

Hi Abby

I have to agree with what Fred is saying.

Humour can certainly lighten up a serious thread, providing it is done correctly. However you must also remember that Humour is perceived differently by different people.  American humour is totally different to British humour, however since we have the same native language we can normally get by. However it is more often than not translated badly into another language.

That said Humour or Sarcasm does not go down well on Members Performances if they are not very competent musician. ANY form of Humour (Sarcasm) is taken as a big negative.  I'm not saying that everyone should say that every performance is "Absolutely Brilliant" however RESPECT is the number one thing on all forums.

Therefore the Problem is easy, Restrict your Humour to people you know very well.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
Hello Bill.

I think you and I posted almost simultaneously.
Please read the post just above yours, I must have posted just a millisecond before you.
I am re-posting it in case you may have missed it.

Hello Everyone.

As I mentioned above, and will reiterate again, my original post was written with humour in mind.

The insistence on using the word  "Shaming" over and over again in some responses is, in my humble opinion, meant to provoke false outrage and raise people's blood pressure.

We have become too sensitive. It is unhealthy.

Ok, so I will never have a career or future in comedy, but it was a clumsy attempt I made, in the belief that we as adults here still possess a sense of humour.

I once was asked what I loved most about people in general.
My answer was immediate, I said that it was the ability of people to be able to laugh at themselves, and not just at others.

The British in particular, are very good at that.

And going back to the subject of posting music, I have stayed up almost the entire night, scanning music posts, and going back to almost 2 months ago.

I picked posts at random of course.
I have not come across a single post where a poster was told "Your music sucks."

All the comments I have read on the music posts were plaudits, encouragements, and suggestions.

Most of the people who have posted their music also seem to be home or hobby players, who wanted to share a favourite song, a Christmas song etc, or just share their joy.

All music is beautiful, it may not be someone's preferred music, but it is still beautiful.

So I will never be the next Jerry Seinfeld, but at least I tried.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:20:02 PM by Pianoman »

Offline alans

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »

This is interesting,I know there have been some musical posts by Genos owners, but I really thought there would probably be more,I myself have posted a few songs and others have also,but not that many.

Perhaps the thing is that whilst at  present there are lots of professional demo vids still being posted it makes us amateurs sound "amateurish " and that is not intended to belittle anyone.Maybe as the demos fade away more amateurs will start to post.

Hope that this has not offended anyone,just a few thoughts from me.

Alan

Kari V

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »

Hi

can someone fix my last post.   I made a quote and thought my text was in regular type.   The quote is broken up.
Really botched it.

thanks

elaine

Hi Elaine,

Below is the text fixed (I hope the way you intended it to be)

- Kari

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Hi Pianoman,,  Dear Abby, 8) ;) :)

This is a sticky wicket so am going ahead to extrapolate and somehow redefine what I think you had to say.
1.  Yes, the genos has taken over most of the topic, threads of this forum with endless debates, reviews,  etc.   Am only a 10 year
     member and am sure there are quite a few other older than me who can remember that each time a machine was released there
      were discussions upon discussions taking over the forum material.  Go back to the various machines, just take a look at the
      s910 1st page,, whatever you like and you will see that these machines were endlessly reviewed,  Pick one , take one go back
      and look.   This is the nature of the "animal" here and perhaps also have been guilty one time or another of participating in
      said discussions.   When the new machines are released, there is a whole new circus.   This board thrives on these discussions.
      Yes it is exhausting but a big part of this forum with many members interested.   
2.   The music board is the !water boy" of the forum and is a feature that I have heard, a favor to us players by the administrators.
      If wrong, will be advised.   It has been a fantastic resource to hear different styles, renditions.   Have picked up scads of ideas,
       tips, etc. from various posters.   If a poster wants a serious critique than one can go all out.   However, it is more for fun
       as the board topic suggests...  "songs played"..  Although like some of your music posts, not only do we get a song, but
        entertainment, and perhaps a showcase or two of a style, of a voice.instument.   There is a like button , if one does not want
       to leave a written reply, or one can listen or not reply at all.   The amount of replies to the amount of actual hits on a song is
       minimal and that is the thing one must overcome on this board.  It is not the negative comment that is discouraging it is
         the number of hits one gets on a song with no replies that messes me up.
3.    Genos owners have been posting music on regular genos threads and not on the music board.   There are quite a few music
        demo posts .  So if they have a "song" that they like and want to demo it, why not on the music board as well.
4.    I personally think you were trying to rev up interest in the music board part of the forum.  Thanks for that.   However,
         music posts goes in bits and spurts.   Messages are kept only 3 months.  Lots of my stuff went bye bye whereby in all
       other boards messages are kept ad infimum.
       Some of us do not have live venues or gigs, so posting music is more of an outlet ; personally for me, to perform what am
        able to do to other music members.  Have had songs that garnered more than expected and some songs that hit the dumpster.
        My advice to those that have songs that they want to post and are a bit wary, to put on your virtual Kevlar, post the song
           and then   "let it go",,, Just have fun.   Really appreciate your advancing the music board,, the more the merrier.

may you all enjoy your machines,, many days of happy playing.    Especially you Abby,,, thanks for all your wonderful contributions
and humor........

cheers
elaine
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:02:17 PM by Kari V »

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
Kari,,

Hello and thanks for the makeover.
Really appreciate being fixed up.
Yes, that is the way I intended it to be .

all the best for your wonderful help

cheers
elaine

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:25 PM »
Hi

I will continue NOT posting songs! For two reasons:

I am a mediocre musician. I have got advice for decades... No need for nor effect of posting more samples from me...

I am by far much more interesed in exploring the "hardware". Find the hidden features, explore the "corners", doing the "impossible" things etc.

As I said in another thread: Some like cruising the car; some like to fintune the engine and to wash and polish the car...  ;)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »
This is interesting,I know there have been some musical posts by Genos owners, but I really thought there would probably be more,I myself have posted a few songs and others have also,but not that many.

Perhaps the thing is that whilst at  present there are lots of professional demo vids still being posted it makes us amateurs sound "amateurish " and that is not intended to belittle anyone.Maybe as the demos fade away more amateurs will start to post.

Hope that this has not offended anyone,just a few thoughts from me.

Alan

Hello again Alan.

What you say is true. I have also listened to the music you posted and even the drum demo.
I have applauded it and thanked you for it.

There are professional Genos music demos on the Internet, but as someone said above, these have been mastered, EQd, and compressed by top sound engineers, working for or in tandem with manufacturers, with the intent of enticing us mortals to part with our cash.

They are easy to spot, since almost all these demos play the same select styles over and over again.
Whether the demo is made by Yamaha, or played at a dealership by Yamaha representatives.

Apart from my attempted humour above, it would be nice to hear the Genos being played by people in the real world, using a wider variety of styles, not only the same styles and demos from the above mentioned professionals.

I have listened to, and highly appreciated, music posted by you, Deane (Hammer), Keynote, and a few other Genos owners.

My asking if Genos is a three time divorcee, or has a drinking and driving problem is obviously meant as humour.

I too hope that this has not offended anyone.

Indignation and outrage over every dot and comma seems to be gaining popularity in the times that we live in nowadays.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:22:26 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »
Hi

I will continue NOT posting songs! For two reasons:

I am a mediocre musician. I have got advice for decades... No need for nor effect of posting more samples from me...

I am by far much more interesed in exploring the "hardware". Find the hidden features, explore the "corners", doing the "impossible" things etc.

As I said in another thread: Some like cruising the car; some like to fintune the engine and to wash and polish the car...  ;)

Jørgen

Hello Jørgen.

Your contributions my friend are invaluable.
Keep on fine tuning the engine and polishing, washing and waxing.

Every time you succeed, you make a lot people, myself included, very happy.

Your talents are priceless, please keep up the good work.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:59:10 PM by Pianoman »

Pino

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
Well said, Pianoman

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 02:11:16 PM »
Pianoman,

I had submitted to Joe Waters tunes I recorded on my Genos.  If you click on the words below “Steve’s Genos Recordings,” you’ll be taken to a page where I have some tunes posted.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline alans

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
Hi Pianoman (Abby )

Have you seen these Youtube vids  by Keyboardplayer (Joost),I really enjoy these more than the official Yamaha or dealer demos.He's a very good player and just really seems to sit down and play tunes or improvs.
He also does a live Youtube feed regularly for at least an hour,usually more on Sunday nights

He must have an understanding with his local dealer because he has played a Genos 3 times at home,but he usually plays a T4

https://youtu.be/mVX8dNnrMeU

Alan

Offline mikf

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 03:03:03 PM »
As someone said on a previous post,  posting performances is not the core of the forum. There are people who post performances frequently and people who seldom or never post performances.  So the reason there are so few performances on Genos is pure mathematics -  a relatively small percentage of members regularly post performances, and a very small percentage of them have changed to the Genos.
So that means not many Genos performances.
Same is true for other minority owned keyboards such as the CVPs.
No great mystery.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
C'mon guys and gals - lighten up. I immediately responded by laughing when I read Abby's satirical humor in his initial post, though I guess some folks didn't.

Keep in mind that not everyone on this forum has the same musical talents, which is evident when listening to the songs posted during the past decade. A number of individuals have really improved their skills, and I sincerely believe it comes from the information they have garnered from this site.

That said, there are lots of mediocre players on the forum, myself included. This has never stopped them from posting their music, for which they should be applauded. There are individuals that cannot carry a tune in a 5-gallon bucket, but they still post their songs and get accolades from some very nice people. We see and hear this on a daily basis. In contrast, there are some really exceptional players and sings, and I would place Abby in that category. Additionally, he is a very caring individual and has contributed a lot to this forum in the short time he has been with us.

Like Abby, I cannot read a note, and IMO, that's not a bad thing, especially for on stage entertainers, which we both are. We do not have to fumble through books and I-pads in order to play a song. We just hear that song in our head, quickly select a style from memory, then begin playing and singing that song. To folks in this category, it's just a natural phenomenon. Now, we usually play those songs in a chord that suits our vocal range, and often not the same chords that song was originally written. Ironically, because of this, entertainers such as Abby and myself are often looked down upon as inferior because we cannot read the dots. I find that quite humorous, especially considering the fact that we make a good living and support our lifestyles as musician/entertainers/singers.

In this politically correct world, which I tend to abhor, people seem to feel sensitive about each and every subject, regardless of whether or not it REALLY has any impact on them, personally. I try to look at every post here with an open mind, but sometimes, I find it is increasingly difficult. While I instantly took Abby's post as humorous, some seemed to be insulted. I have absolutely no idea why, though.

I implore everyone to sit back, relax, play your keyboards, and post some songs so we can all benefit from them - yes, even you Jorgen. I'm sure you are a much better player than myself, though I'm better looking than you. ;)

Let's put this thread to rest,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Oldden

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
Hi Gary,
I can read the dots but have a big problem keeping a tune in my head. My late Wife just played by ear like you, I would stand, watch her and was just simply jealous.
Oldden

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »
Pianoman,

I had submitted to Joe Waters tunes I recorded on my Genos.  If you click on the words below “Steve’s Genos Recordings,” you’ll be taken to a page where I have some tunes posted.

Great Genos and other recordings Steve.

I loved all of them. Everybody loves Somebody and It's Impossible are two of my favourite tunes.

Especially It's Impossible. It is such a great tune that used to be sung by almost every top artist back then.

These are tunes we don't get to hear so often anymore. Which is a pity.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them and will listen again tonight.

It's more peaceful at night, with the family all gone to sleep.

I put on my headphones and listen to as many tunes as I can, without being distracted.

Great work.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:58:48 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »
Hello Abby. I had a good laugh when I read your post. It is sad that some people here have no humour!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Hi Pianoman (Abby )

Have you seen these Youtube vids  by Keyboardplayer (Joost),I really enjoy these more than the official Yamaha or dealer demos.He's a very good player and just really seems to sit down and play tunes or improvs.
He also does a live Youtube feed regularly for at least an hour,usually more on Sunday nights

He must have an understanding with his local dealer because he has played a Genos 3 times at home,but he usually plays a T4

https://youtu.be/mVX8dNnrMeU

Alan

Yes I have Alan. And he truly is a good player.
I have saved his page in my YouTube favourites, and occasionally take a peek.
In fact I'll take another peek tonight, come to think of it.

Thanks Alan.

Best Regards,
Abby.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »
Oh my, how quickly we have forgotten what happened about 4 years (or so) ago here with the our Song Section of the Forum.

Remember, we had TOO MANY songs being posted and it took over the forum and folks were complaining about it. In fact there was a split off of members and a new site created just for posting songs.

Here is the keyboard site link:

https://www.keyboard-player.org.uk/?

I used to share songs there but I couldn’t keep up with this site and that one with posting comments. They politely ask me to either comment more or leave.

It may be something for Pianoman to check out.

My wish is for folks posting songs to please tell us what style they used, if they can.  That would help me the most. ;D

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 06:04:57 PM by DrakeM »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
I agree, Drake. Know the model keyboard, style used, tempo, etc..., and all the other particulars of each song would be very helpful and I have encouraged this in the past, but to no avail. And, if a mid file was used, it would be nice to post that midi file (if not a copyrighted one) so others could work with it as well. This has always been among the best informational sites for arranger keyboard players on the internet, and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »
Hello Drake and Gary.

I think it is sometimes just forgetfulness.

I do post the style and instrument used, when asked. Like on the song Pick Up The Pieces, when someone asked. As well as the style and instruments I used on the song The Lonely Shepherd.

As for the keyboard,  it's always my trusty old T3.
Got to rush off to buy dinner. The fridge looks quite empty.

Best Regards,
Abby.

Offline mikf

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »
Gary is right. Being able to play by ear to at least some extent is a definite advantage in playing popular music over just being able to play from music. It not just the convenience of not having to carry or find the dots, you need it to improvise, arrange an accompaniment behind a singer, change key for a singer, add intros and fills from your head etc etc. I suppose ideally it’s nice to do both -  read and play by ear- but more important than being good at reading music is to develop a half decent understanding of basic music theory, especially harmony and chord progressions. The ear by itself is seldom enough.
Even although many great musicians like Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Paul McCartney did not read music, they had acquired sophisticated musical knowledge. This might come from lessons, or just great exposure over many years to other musicians. Stevie Wonder didn’t produce melodies based on the whole tone scale , or songs with fancy chords just because he heard it in his head. It’s because other musicians showed and explained these things to him, and he incorporated it into his music. Basically listen, learn, play.
Mike

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 01:53:06 AM »

Great Genos and other recordings Steve.

I loved all of them. Everybody loves Somebody and It's Impossible are two of my favourite tunes.

Especially It's Impossible. It is such a great tune that used to be sung by almost every top artist back then.

These are tunes we don't get to hear so often anymore. Which is a pity.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them and will listen again tonight.

It's more peaceful at night, with the family all gone to sleep.

I put on my headphones and listen to as many tunes as I can, without being distracted.

Great work.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Pianoman thank you for your comments. Likewise 2 of my favorites are also Everybody Loves Somebody and It’s Impossible.  I regularly play those at my assisted living and NH gigs.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »
Pianoman thank you for your comments. Likewise 2 of my favorites are also Everybody Loves Somebody and It’s Impossible.  I regularly play those at my assisted living and NH gigs.

I've just been listening to Perry Como, and Elvis, singing It's Impossible.

It's one of the greatest songs ever.

I'll be playing it again this summer, and will post the video on the Songs Played By Forum Members page.

Sadly, there's only one venue, in all the hotels that I play in, where I can play this song.

I got goosebumps just listening to it.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:01:14 AM by Pianoman »

Craven Morehead

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
I got it Pianoman.  ;D  Can't believe how touchy some have become on this forum. This forum does have the reputation of being more technical type topics. I'm also on the other forum Drake mentioned which is all music. No tech. or politics allowed. I posted a song on here a while back and got zero replies. The song before that I think I got 3 or 4.  No big deal really. Also whenever a new keyboard comes out like Genos the forum usually goes crazy with information on the keyboard more so than the actual sounds and songs. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. So let's all be cool.  8)  Here's a little number that should make you feel better. Actually think this would be a good song for Drake.  ;) A stress reliever.

https://youtu.be/tsxVGb2d9dw
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:59:25 PM by Wally Z »

Craven Morehead

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
The name Genos came from a development engineer with Yamaha that worked on the Genos project.  She is very bright and was involved from the ground up on the project.  She new everything there was to know about it. Her name was Gene.  Whenever someone had a question about the project they would be told to ask Gene.  They would say, "Gene knows!"  So when it came time to pick a name for the finished project the question was asked. Someone said, "Gene knows!" So there you have it.   ;D :P   I hope this settles the discussion once and for all. ;)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
I like that name story😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 06:05:37 AM »
Wally - that story would have been so much better if you had said her name was Jean :D

Craven Morehead

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »
Jean wouldn't work. Gene is gender neutral.  ;D

Gene ▼ as a girls' name (also used more regularly as boys' name Gene) is of Greek and Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Gene is "noble aristocrat; God is gracious". Diminutive of Eugenia or variant of Jean.