Author Topic: Sliders  (Read 4508 times)

Lloyd E

Sliders
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »
Being an arranger player I do not understand the "knob" functions on my Genos. never had to deal with Synths but would like to know how to use the knobs and control
voice functions. Any answers or instructions would be very helpful.  Lloyd

Offline valimaties

Re: Sliders
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
Being an arranger player I do not understand the "knob" functions on my Genos. never had to deal with Synths but would like to know how to use the knobs and control
voice functions. Any answers or instructions would be very helpful.  Lloyd

Read Genos Reference Manual - page 129

If you press Direct Access and Knob Assign button (or Menu - Live Controls), the screen with assignments will open. You have tree options of assignments, for Knobs.
The assignments are not only for Synth music, but there are some settings you can use on all types of music, like style cutoff or style resonance.
What I don't like on these functions is they change settings for all channels and make them the same. For example, if I have set different values on style's channels resonance, if I rotate the second knob, where I have StyReso, automatically Genos will set the resonance the same on all channels, it does not increase or decrease existing values, which I think is not the normal behavior.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline alans

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Hi Lloyd

I suppose you do know that the sliders are used to control the volumes of style,multipads,Left and R1 ,R2 and R3 as was  on the T5.

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Lloyd E

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
Alan,
Yes I do know about the sliders and use them. I titled my inquiry wrong and it should have said "knobs". Thanks anyway. Lloyd

Lloyd E

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »
Thanks Vali for the info. on the "knobs".  I still need more precise directions as to what exactly they do. i am not really into this kind of adjustment.  Lloyd

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »
You don't have to use them. They are just there to give you more options to adjust things on the fly.

Online demos tend to use them to adjust resonance and cutoff frequency, which may give the impression that they are just for synth sounds, but that's not true. For example, you can have a knob that adjusts the balance between style and panel voices - this makes it really easy to change that as you are playing.

As Vali says, your best option is to use the direct button + knob assign, and browse through the list of settings that you can control with the knobs. You might find something that you think it would  be useful to adjust during a performance - or you might not, the point is that they offer you options.
Genos

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »
You might find something that you think it would  be useful to adjust during a performance

In fact the sliders and knobs are not only useful when performing. If you remix a style or song, if you tweak voices etc, it may be convenient to use theses dedicated controllers.
Regards, Michael

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
Hi --

The EQ knobs are the most useful to me when playing live. Sometimes ya gotta cut the bass or the highs.

Otherwise, both the sliders and knobs are great for editing backing tracks and other recording-related work.

All the best -- pj

Lloyd E

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »
Thanks for all the answers to my question.  i will see what i can do with the knobs to improve sound etc.  Lloyd