Author Topic: Genos organ system.  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Bob D

Genos organ system.
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
I would like to use the Genos as an organ system with lower keyboard and bass pedals. Not being "midi" minded I wondered if anyone could give me the instructions to do this.

Offline zionip

Re: Genos organ system.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
Hi Bob,

Toplayer2 (Joe) posted his Genos setup as an organ system with a photo.  The keyboard below the Genos is a Yamaha CP4 stage piano and the pedals are Studiologic MP-117.  A Yamaha FC7 volume pedal plugs into Genos to serve as an organ expression controller.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42338.msg334089.html#msg334089

Joe should be able to explain how he connects them together.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Toplayer2

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the mention, Paul. Bob, it is easy to set up Genos for organ.  The most important accessory is a MIDI bass pedalboard.  A Yamaha FC7 volume control pedal is also very useful to emulate the swell shoe (or expression pedal). The FC7 is plugged into the Volume input on the back of the Genos. The MIDI cable from the pedalboard may be plugged into either MIDI In A or B on the Genos.

To set up an organ registration, assign the Accompaniment voice to the Left part, the Great voice to the Right 1 part, and  pedal voice to the Right 3 part. Configure the Genos MIDI Recieve to assign the MIDI channel from your pedalboard to control the Right 3 part. If you have a second MIDI keyboard avaiable you can assign it to the Right 2 part in the same fashion to control a Solo or third manual.

You can use the preset Genos organ voices, or for a better theatre organ experience I offer a set of six Expansion packs free of charge.  These include fifty professionally prepared registrations, twenty one individual theatre organ ranks, and an assortment of Effects WAV files that can be assigned to Multi-pads.

Joe

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha Genos  |  Young Chang G-185 Grand  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline Bob D

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
Thanks Joe, Paul, I have the FC7 pedal,Roland PK5 pedals and a Yamaha NP31 piano as a second keyboard. I will try and set up as you said. I have these connected it is just how to get the pedal bass notes sounding.

Offline gio

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 03:06:23 AM »
Thanks for the mention, Paul. Bob, it is easy to set up Genos for organ.  The most important accessory is a MIDI bass pedalboard.  A Yamaha FC7 volume control pedal is also very useful to emulate the swell shoe (or expression pedal). The FC7 is plugged into the Volume input on the back of the Genos. The MIDI cable from the pedalboard may be plugged into either MIDI In A or B on the Genos.

To set up an organ registration, assign the Accompaniment voice to the Left part, the Great voice to the Right 1 part, and  pedal voice to the Right 3 part. Configure the Genos MIDI Recieve to assign the MIDI channel from your pedalboard to control the Right 3 part. If you have a second MIDI keyboard avaiable you can assign it to the Right 2 part in the same fashion to control a Solo or third manual.

You can use the preset Genos organ voices, or for a better theatre organ experience I offer a set of six Expansion packs free of charge.  These include fifty professionally prepared registrations, twenty one individual theatre organ ranks, and an assortment of Effects WAV files that can be assigned to Multi-pads.

Joe
------------------------------------------

hi  Joe,

what did you use to stack the Genos on top of the yamaha 88 key?

i have a dgx 650 and want to place a tyros 5 on top of it. 

thanks for the info

Togge

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 12:04:45 PM »
Hi!

People happy with Tyros/Genos "Organs"?
Would be interesting to get some more feed back both from the keyboards point of view compared to Organ and operation point of view compared to Organ.

It seems to be a problem to find a lower keyboard that doesn't build a lot of height between the keyboard and you only can choose a keyboard that also use the Yamaha synth key width of 160mm per Octave (compared to standard 165mm) to get the keys in line with each other.
I have seen people who have built "organs" using M-Audio Keystation 61 as lower but I measured the Mk3 version and it has the wider Octave, than Yamaha, width so it can not be used (I guess previous versions had the Yamaha octave width? Question is mk2 that can still be found?).
So we have the Yamaha NP series. They have the 160mm Octave width so they are ok but they build a lot on height, moving the keyboards further away form each other since Yamaha choose not to make it completely flat, just building a couple of mm above keys as would have be the best for every kind of use. Can the box be opened and the plastic that build height be removed? Anyone has opened a NP?
A more important question here is can both the older NP11/31 (as seems to be easy to find 2nd hand) and the currently NP12/32 be used??? Yamaha removed the midi out connector and replaced it with a USB instead. Can this be used as a midi controller in a direct connection? If using it with V-console?