Author Topic: did you know ? get bar counter - Genos  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Al Ram

did you know ? get bar counter - Genos
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
Friends
I have seen several posts where people pointed out that Genos does not display transposed value  or bar counter on main screen.

I was somewhat disappointed myself when i discovered this !!.   So, i thought about it and found good workarounds for both.  Transposed value and bar counter. 

Other posts already discussed how to get transposed value on main screen, so i will skip that one.
(if you still wish to get transposed value let me know).

If bar counter is something you need to see on main screen when playing, Below see a step by step way to get it and display on main screen.

One comment . . . .  There is no need to comment anymore the obvious.  We already know bar counter is not displayed on the main screen.  This post is not to complain about it but rather to find an easy and good way to work around it.  There are might be better ways, if so, please share.

So, no need to complain about Yamaha, updates, etc.   Let's focus on how WE can solve it. Let's focus on the solution rather than the problem.

Myself i do not see this as a Yamaha problem, it is now MY problem because i already purchased the keyboard, so, i need a way to work with it as it is. 

I wish that Yamaha would include Bar Counter and Transpose on main screen of Style, so hopefully it will be included in the next OS update(s).     But in the meantime this could help. It is solving my problem for now. 

Here it is.

I have found a tested workaround that can display bar counter in Genos when playing from a registration. 

It sounds complicated but it is not.  It is actually very easy.  (well maybe the second time is easier).

1. Create a small dummy midi file.   You can name it:    “A A BAR COUNTER” (if you want me to I can send you the midi file I am using for this).  You can use the same midi file for multiple songs/registrations. 
2. Load the midi file to your Genos registration and save it.
3. Retrieve the saved registration with midi and load it.
4. Switch to Menu/Lyrics tab in Genos
5. Start playing
6. Bar counter will show in the Lyrics tab and count as you play.    Switch to Lyrics tab at any time before or during play and you will see the bar counter (bottom left side).  You can go in and out of lyrics tab and the counter will continue as you play.

MAKE LYRICS TAB FIXED ON MAIN SCREEN
If desired, you can bring the Lyrics tab and make it a fixed window in your Home screen.
So, when playing all you have to do is load your saved registration(s), press Lyrics and start playing.

Of course the Lyrics tab will have no lyrics (empty unless you pre-loaded the lyrics), but the bar counter will be active and counting ((bottom left side). 

You can use the same midi file for many registrations.

Bar counter is kind of important for some people playing for certain dancers or playing in a band.   So, if bar counter is a must, this is a tested workaround.

If requested, I can provide the midi file via PM.

I realize that this may not work for everyone, specially those who are already loading other midi files associated with their registrations, but for me  it is working, not perfect but rather nice.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day.

Greetings from Tijuana

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline valimaties

Re: did you know ? get bar counter - Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
This was already discussed! The workaround of bar count was found already, but is not convenient workaround, as we wanna see the main screen in front! It is not normal to start all styles I have with intros and with a workaround with lyrics page as a fixed window :(

PS:  WE have NOT TO find workarounds, because is a very expensive keyboard, which most of Yamaha users call it as "the best arranger" in the world. No, it is not, it is a good arranger, with the most beautiful sound in the world (compared to other arrangers), but is not the best. It has a couple of essential functions and features that even older versions of Yamaha has and it does not have it ;)

So WE have to wait for updates of firmware that solve the bugs, because they are shameful bugs for a big brand like Yamaha!

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »
Valimaties

Thanks for your comment.   I do want and need the workaround and cannot wait, that is why i implemented it for myself. 

My goal in sharing is just to help others that may be in the same situation. 

With all due respect, I believe your comments are unneeded at this point.   We already know the issue !!! .  The workaround may not be convenient for you but it is certainly convenient for myself and all the others that already contacted me via PM asking me for a midi file. 

If you do not feel to need or want this workaround that is fine with me.    Let's not get into a useless debate. 

If you feel that strong please contact Yamaha directly and ask them to work on your requests.

Thanks again.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
Ok ok ok ok... :) :)
I understood... you found a workaround which other users want it... I didn't say is not good to others... I say is not good to Yamaha Team...

You see, I learn something from my experience with Yamaha Team... if only I , or some other 100 guys from 100 000 who bought Genos, will tell them about a thing is not good or is missing from OS, they not ecen bother to do something... but if we are a lot of people that send mails to them with a certain problem, be sure they will solve as quick as possible. I send mails to them... Did you?!
Let we see how many users from this forum send the same problem to Yamaha to solve it?! I bet there are not so many we think there are...
So, I think is better to show directly to Yamaha about a problem, when we encounter one...
I will start a new thread with this wish I have...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:11:21 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Online EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
By this time I think Yamaha would be fully aware what updates are required and will be working on them.
  We must be patient and in the mean time enjoy playing the great keyboard that Genos is. I certainly do 

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:34:02 AM »
By this time I think Yamaha would be fully aware what updates are required and will be working on them.
  We must be patient and in the mean time enjoy playing the great keyboard that Genos is. I certainly do

Dear Eileen,
I just want to say thanks for you posts. They are always useful, to the point,  and you avoid aggressiveness that I feel is too widespread on his forum and is neither entertaining nor serves the purpose of helping those like me who have bought the Genos and are  still struggling how to do things  they know how to do on the Tyros 5  also on the new Genos.  We all know the unfortunate trend of manufactures of most all complicated products  to not research the design thoroughly enough before putting it on the market.  That is partly due to the fact that software can be updated. Just think of Microsoft, they keep sending you updates and often even these are not well enough researched. Every second time I have to cancel the update because it destroys the functionality of something else. That has never happened to me with YAMAHA updates. Admittedly 1.10 was not overwhelmingly impressive, but it seems  a substantial one is coming end of February.  The problem with these instruments is that they are computer based, and have you ever heard of a PC user that does not encounter problems. I  long ago bought the Lowrey MX 1  and had it not been for the fact that as a drone manufacturer I was well versed in component-based electronics and soldering I would have despaired.

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland

The following users thanked this post: Joe H, KeyboardByBiggs

Online EileenL

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »
Thank you very much Kaarlo for your very kind post. It is much appreciated. I always try to help if I can in a sensible way because I like to think people are getting as much enjoyment from these new keyboards as I am.
  We all know that updates will be needed after a launch as various things come to light when we start using them in many different ways. Some of us will be happy just sitting down and playing as is shown in all the Demo's. I take my hat of to Yamaha in this respect because they are perfectly honest in what they are doing on the keyboard. Mostly they use OTS but if they have created certain effects they will tell you. It is everything you will find when you get your keyboard home and can do for yourself.
  Some will want to link there keyboard to lots of other equipment to produce music maybe only using the keyboard as a source of sound. Which ever way some glitches will come along and will be corrected in due corse. This is where we must have a little patience because some of these updates will not be as easy as members think and will take time to do.
  Enjoy youe music making.

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 04:18:54 AM »
......The workaround of bar count was found already, but is not convenient ....
So WE have to wait for updates of firmware that solve the bugs, because they are shameful bugs for a big brand like Yamaha!

EXACTLY, very well said !

Kaarlo