Author Topic: Fragmenting expansion memory - how to force erase?  (Read 7855 times)

Offline svpworld

Fragmenting expansion memory - how to force erase?
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
Hi everyone
I've noticed a small issue recently when dealing with several expansion packs on the Yamaha Genos.  It seems to be more so with a 3rd party one that I am having these issues (Fantasy pack from Phantawalker (by the way I thoroughly recommend this low cost pack, some incredible quality sounds!).
Basically all is well until I try and update the fantasy pack with changes from YEM to the pack.  I notice that YEM doesn't completely erase the expansion memory but just uploads the changes.  The problem is sometimes a few of the voices are missing samples or there are strange sequences of other voice samples on the higher notes. The only way to fix this I've found is to start from fresh by uploading a pack from USB stick (which forces all memory to be wiped) and then reinstall the packs.  I've looked on the Genos for a way of erasing the expansion memory manually, this would eliminate any possible fragmentation issues but I couldn't see anything.  Anyone had a similar experience and if so did you manage to find a workaround?   It could be something to do with the samples in this particular voice pack as I haven't noticed it yet with any other packs.

Simon

Offline EileenL

Re: Fragmenting expansion memory - how to force erase?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
Both Tyros 5 and Genos are designed to format the expansion memory before loading in packs to avoid fragmentation. If this is a third party pack then it may be faulty.

Offline Misu

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
Hi Simon,

I have S970, happens to me also cause of a bad custom voice I think.
In order to have what you want  go to System/Reset/Factory Reset Execute
Check to have ONLY System Setup Mark and push Execute and restart.
For assurance try to make copy to your user area like mid sty pad and your user EQ and Effect even normally must to don't loose anything.

Success!
Mihai
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline svpworld

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:54 PM »
Thanks both.  The Genos only appears to completely reformat the expansion memory when I install a complete pack from the USB stick on the instrument.  Using YEM it attempts to check what wave data is already in the instrument I think and just updates what it needs to. This is noticeable by the speed at which a single pack or change to a pack takes when using YEM.  I'll resist a full reset for now but good to know that's an option!  Hopefully Yamaha will include an option later (YEM or instrument) that gives us the choice to wipe the complete memory or reload all wave data.

Simon

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
... Hopefully Yamaha will include an option later (YEM or instrument) that gives us the choice to wipe the complete memory or reload all wave data.

Simon

I doubt we will ever see that happen.  It is necessary to reformat the Expansion Memory to make maximum full use of the memory.  If you want to combine packs you will need to do this in YEM.  YEM doesn't check the current use of the memory, what it is doing is calculating the total memory of the selected packs you wish to install. 

If you exceed the memory limit, you will see that at the top of the screen in the field located near the center.  Once you have all the packs you wish and see that they will fit in the keyboard memory, then you must create an Installation File and load all the packs at once.  You cannot add packs to the keyboard one at a time.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:05:19 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Misu

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »
Hi,

Using wireless to load it is a facility to can make update so probably for this doesn't erase entire memory. I never use, even I have the USB device.
If you have problems you can load directly from the USB and all the expansion memory will be erased.
If you still have problems (my situation) apply factory reset.

Regards
Mihai
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »
Even if I choose wireless loading it still formats my memory and takes just as long.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
Even if I choose wireless loading it still formats my memory and takes just as long.

No, it does not format every time. Only if you have important updated files (erase a lot of user samples, or add user samples) and not every time when you import or delete user samples. I think all about is on samples addresses in memory...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:35:51 AM »
Well it always formats for me no matter if just part of a pack or more.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 12:47:20 AM »
Well it always formats for me no matter if just part of a pack or more.

You were unlucky :)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 01:22:39 AM »
You were unlucky :)

When use YEM, it always format before install.
If have 5 pacs, and add 1 one without mark the other, only the new pack is in expansionfolder after install.
All have to be marked, and then everything will install in one go.

I've tried all possible ways by use of YEM, same result, it clean up flash memory before install.
Too time consuming procedure...... but as long as I have fresh cofee .......  ::)  8)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 03:07:55 AM »
When use YEM, it always format before install.
If have 5 pacs, and add 1 one without mark the other, only the new pack is in expansionfolder after install.
All have to be marked, and then everything will install in one go.

I've tried all possible ways by use of YEM, same result, it clean up flash memory before install.
Too time consuming procedure...... but as long as I have fresh cofee .......  ::)  8)

I have made almost 4 wirelles installs... only one time it format memory, three times only update. And I have deleted and insert new custom voice every time. ;)
Next time I will make a video, too ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos