Author Topic: Genos Prices Tumbling In Spain.  (Read 9118 times)

Offline Pianoman

Genos Prices Tumbling In Spain.
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Hello Everyone.

I don't know how the prices of the Genos are doing in other EU countries, but here they are dropping.

I'm saying this for informative purposes only, for members who are in the EU and may want to order from Spain.

Most dealerships are now posting an average price of 3998€, meaning that this price can be negotiated down even further.

I had the urge to order from mainland Spain before Christmas already,
but decided to wait a bit until the issues that are plaguing members here are ironed out by Yamaha, maybe with upcoming updates.

In a way, my hurry has dissipated right now, so I will wait, until all the issues that members have pointed out to Yamaha, have been taken care of.

It may turn out to be a long wait, but the advantage is that by then prices might fall even further.
I don't think that I will be needing a Genos before April anyway.

I will need the entire month of April to adjust to it, before starting to use it professionally in May.

I don't know if it is allowed to name dealerships on this forum, so I will refrain from naming any.

Best Regards,
Pianoman
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:13:41 PM by Pianoman »

Offline browzer

Re: Genos Prices Tumbling In Spain.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
Prices in the UK are falling also, today in Promenade Music you can purchase a Genos for £3745 or £3999 with speakers.

Ronnie

Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
Sounds like Yamaha is having to respond to the market place. (people think the initial price was too high(?)... hmm... they just aren't selling like Yamaha thought they would)

Joe  H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Will49

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:26 PM »
Well, now that they've decided to drop the price so soon, I reckon they should (somehow?) recompense the first wave of loyal customers who came and parted with such a big sum of money only a few weeks ago! Of course, that ain't gonna happen! ;D Seriously speaking though, it seems that those who've held back until the price got a bit more sensible have been on the right track all along! ;)

Regards,
Will

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:42:26 PM »
Well Ronnie,
  If you shopped around you got that price anyway. This always seems to happen that people say prices have dropped but it depends if you got a good deal to start with. I don't think anyone paid the advertised price.

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Marcus

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
The 3998€ equals today 6077.32 Canadian Dollars. Canadian advertised price was $5,999, so right in the ballpark. One shouldn't be forced with advertised price, and usually you can negotiate a better price with a willing store manager.

Marcus 

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
Maybe Pianoman doesn't know about MAP (Manufacturers Advertised Price)

Dealers can sell for any price they want, but can't advertise their "discounted" price.  Some choose to go with MAP and offer an extended warranty or "Bundle" or free shipping... or all the above.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline browzer

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
Well Ronnie,
  If you shopped around you got that price anyway. This always seems to happen that people say prices have dropped but it depends if you got a good deal to start with. I don't think anyone paid the advertised price.

Eileen, I think the drop in advertised price is because they are now trying to discourage trade-in's and are trying to make the straight purchase more attractive, IE sell your T5 privately and buy cheap from us. Promenades price on a new T5 (61) is over £600 more than a new Genos at £4354 whereas a T5(76) second hand unit is £1350 less than a New Genos at £2399. 

Ronnie
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:25:22 PM by browzer »
Genos

Kari V

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »
The 3998€ equals today 6077.32 Canadian Dollars. Canadian advertised price was $5,999, so right in the ballpark. One shouldn't be forced with advertised price, and usually you can negotiate a better price with a willing store manager.

Marcus

It's necessary to take into account the different VAT rates when comparing the prices in different countries:

In Spain the VAT is 21%, while by googling I found that in Canada it is (HST or Harmonized Sales Tax) usually around 13%.

So the Canadian equivalent price for the Spanish price of 3998€, HST (VAT) included can be calculated in the following way:

- Spanish price in euros without VAT = 3998€/1.21 = 3304€
- this corresponds to ~1.52*3304 CAD = 5022 CAD
- adding the HST of 13% we get 5675 CAD

BTW at Thomann (Germany) the price is currently 4171€ (inc. VAT of 19%)

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 08:46:55 PM »
I have tracked Yamaha pricing since 2008 and my conclusion is multiply the Yamaha LIST PRICE by .66 and that is the price you can get the keyboard for if you shop around.  ;)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
I seriously doubt that Yamaha has reduced THEIR WHOLESALE PRICE to the dealers. It is more likely that dealers have reduced their prices in order to compete with other dealers and internet sales. Some dealers hope to work on volume, thereby reducing their prices to generate more sales. Some do not do this.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »

Marcus

That seems to be a good price in Canada Marcus.

But the launch price here was 4999€ at the beginning.
This seems to be a price adjustment maybe adjusted to
Spanish incomes.

But it also means that someone from another EU country can order from here.
Transport is included in the price.

It's like cars.
I remember a story about Germans going to buy their cars in Poland or the Czech republic for similar reasons.

Anyway, whatever it turns out to be, it may end up benefiting the consumer.

Man bites dog, that kind of thing.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 12:08:15 AM »
Maybe Pianoman doesn't know about MAP (Manufacturers Advertised Price)

Dealers can sell for any price they want, but can't advertise their "discounted" price.  Some choose to go with MAP and offer an extended warranty or "Bundle" or free shipping... or all the above.

Joe H

Hello Joe.

I have been checking most mainland dealerships online, these past few days.
What I quoted is the average price right now.

I haven't checked with my local dealer yet. I got fed up of being told to come back next week and check again, everytime I went to his store.

I had been having some health issues for the last few weeks, so I  don't even know if he's back from his cursed holiday yet.

If so, I could get him to lower the price even further.

Even so, my instinct tells me that many potential buyers are waiting to see if some issues will be resolved, before taking the plunge.

I was only reporting what I'm seeing.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »
I seriously doubt that Yamaha has reduced THEIR WHOLESALE PRICE to the dealers. It is more likely that dealers have reduced their prices in order to compete with other dealers and internet sales. Some dealers hope to work on volume, thereby reducing their prices to generate more sales. Some do not do this.

Good luck,

Gary 8)

Hello Gary.

I agree with you there, that it's not Yamaha reducing their wholesale price to the dealers.

I think it has mostly to do with dealers frustration, at being unable to move the instruments as fast as they anticipated.

It is also probable that potential buyers are waiting, to see what any upcoming updates will bring to the Genos.
And if those updates would resolve some of the issues that are being reported.

If the consumer gets to win something for a change, that can only be a good thing.

I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

Best Regards,
Abby.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:00:00 AM by Pianoman »

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »
MAP (Manufacturers Advertised Price)

Yamaha have very good MAP discipline among their dealers, probably because no one wants to lose their dealership.

Calling and shopping around is always a good idea with Yamaha gear. (Please don't just click "Add to cart.") I bought a pair of DBR10s for our church yesterday. All the retailers advertised the same price. By calling, I got quotes anywhere from 0% to 12% off MAP, including free shipping. (Until 3/31/2018, there's a rebate on DBR powered speakers, making this a sweet deal.)

Quote from: Kari
It's necessary to take into account the different VAT rates when comparing the prices in different countries.

True that. Another regional factor potentially affecting final asking price is import duty.

All the best -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »
When I bought my PSR S910, I saw a dealer on eBay that had sold 5 units as "Open Box" to get around MAP.  I really wanted to buy from my local dealer and support our local economy.  So I took print-outs of these 5 transactions to my dealer.  He had to call his Yamaha supplier to get a special price in order to match the eBay seller's price.  So I got my new S910 in unopened box for a great price.

That dealer is now out of business after 34 years because of the internet sales and the companies who find a way around the rules.   :(

Joe H

Offline pjd

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »
I really wanted to buy from my local dealer and support our local economy. 

Hi Joe --

I'm glad you that you described your experience.

One practice that I won't engage in -- having a salesperson at a local store help me and then buy on-line. I try to give the sale to the person who helps me out. Just about all of the small (and not so small) music retailers in the Boston area have closed for good, so it's hard to find a single shop which isn't part of a massive chain. Even then I try to pay the salesperson back for helping me.

All the best -- pj