Author Topic: PSR S975  (Read 22615 times)

Offline Jørgen

PSR S975
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
Hi

PSR S975 is just around the corner...

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s975/index.html

Live controllers and half-bar fill in...

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline frankmusik

Re: PSR S975
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:22:42 PM »
Thanks Jørgen
Yamaha Yamaha ...
I heard it had to be published on NAMM Show ... but Webmasters are FASTER than Yamaha :-)

greetings from germany
frank

.. I thought it would be a "990" .. not "975"
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Hmm that's a bit disappointing, not much of a change, and probably means that a big new upgrade to PSR is still a couple of years away ..

Will need to have a closer look to see what the real differences are and if it's worth going from S770 to S975.

Bit more expansion memory compared to sn70, live control settings in registrations, mono legato, half bar fill, more voices / styles, ... anything else?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:45:09 PM by DerekA »
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
I shall wait for the new Model which probably is a couple of years away. Not enough change on this one to make me replace my 970 at the moment.

Offline Misu

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
Hi,

MPO better than S970 but <<LEGO>> model = A3000+S970 (no specific samplers for Arabic = plus user memory) for quick answer to the competitor product.
Probably the real next model (Light Genos) will be delayed at least 1 year.

Regards
Mihai
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »
There's a new 'PLUS' category in the style and voice sections, looks like they've put selected content from various expansion packs in there.

It's a bit odd, it really does seem to be a very small incremental change from S970.
Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
There's a new 'PLUS' category in the style and voice sections, looks like they've put selected content from various expansion packs in there.

It's a bit odd, it really does seem to be a very small incremental change from S970.

Hi Derek --

I think they wanted to respond to the Korg Pa700/Pa1000 release. More opinions at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/psr-s975-announced/

The PLUS category gives Yamaha a way to target regional markets by pre-loading regional-specific styles and sounds. Smart move by a global player.

All the best -- pj

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is mono legato?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Jean Abdou

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:50:44 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is mono legato?

Legato is a method of playing notes on any instrument without any rests. In other words, if you start playing all the notes from C1 to E1 continuously, you have played a legato phrase.

Now in some instruments like trumpet form example or string and pluck instruments, when your playing notes on one string, you can only play one note on that single string at a time. Here, the instrument is being playing played in a monophonic fashion or is monophonic.

When you play a legato phrase in a monophonic fashion, it is called mono legato. You can have polyphonic legato on violin for example (if you can play it...) but it is not a trivial thing to implement it on a keyboard.

The sliding tone from one note to the other note while you're playing monophonic legato is called portamento, and the time it you would perform such articulation is called the portamento time.

Hope it helps.

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:22:07 AM »
I shall wait for the new Model which probably is a couple of years away. Not enough change on this one to make me replace my 970 at the moment.

Would have anticipated that the new model will have some Genos sounds, drums. etc.
The 975 does not seem much different than what I have now.
Actually, not interested in special packs.   Am very happy with the user room on current machine and variety of styles.
Plus, several PSR members (onicimus) do provide lots of other styles.
Looks like a long wait, so will enjoy what I have and make sure follow Dr.s  orders.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
Thank you for the explanation Jean! Elaine, I think the same. Very satisfied with my S970
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bedj

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »

Since Genos came out, and now Psr s975 (and possibly s775), the price of the s770 and s970 are dropping from month to month, which is great for people now on the market for a very good arranger at a very good price.
I am glad i haven't bought mine yet, waiting for the last/best possible deal before pulling the trigger.

Offline gogo

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
In comparison to mz s770, the new 775 has
100 more voices, including 9 S Art, 1 sweet, 10 live voices
110MB more expansion voice memory
27 more styles

Dare I say this is pretty modest, midcycle upgrade. Like Bedj before me said, it’s a fantastic time to get a s770 as it’s price should be plummeting. I am happy with my s770, the most used fonction of which is ... the metronome (I learn to play the viola). It’s a great instrument, though.I upgraded a 10-year-old s900

Offline ikmusic

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »

In my opinion, S775 / 975 is an adapter to S790 / 990 ...
Yamaha had to quickly release a counter to Korga Pa700 / 1000, and we have effects.
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43:01 PM »
I haven't checked all the differences, aside from what members have posted, but I know that several people have been asking for the mono-legato update, so it seems like Yamaha is listening to what people want. Assuming all of the changes could not have been accomplished through a "simple" firmware update, in my opinion it's probably better for Yamaha to create new "revised" models [EDIT: that can be quickly released now] rather than make everyone wait a few more years until the next major models [EDIT: can be readied for release].
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:44:51 PM by SeaGtGruff »

Offline gogo

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:24 AM »
Assuming all of the changes could not have been accomplished through a "simple" firmware update, in my opinion it's probably better for Yamaha to create new "revised" models [EDIT: that can be quickly released now] rather than make everyone wait a few more years until the next major release
... or to milk the customers. From a marketing point of view this is a typical case of upselling.

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 05:17:23 AM »
Well, those who already have a PSR s770 or 970 might not be convinced to upgrade, but I guess there are a lot of people having older/simpler models who may consider the new s775/975 to be a nice upgrade.

I am very curious about how the keys playing feels on the new models. Did they hear this complain too?  :P
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:28 AM »
... or to milk the customers. From a marketing point of view this is a typical case of upselling.

I guess it's a matter of perspective and opinion.

The only Yamaha models I own are from the PSR-E/YPT line, and a particular series (e.g., PSR-E4xx) gets a new release every two years. That's actually a pretty short production cycle as Yamaha keyboards go, perhaps because the PSR-E line is a big seller for Yamaha due to their inexpensive pricing. I'm assuming that a certain number of keyboards are produced, then shipped to stores or warehouses, and another batch of keyboards in that particular series isn't produced until two years later.

In contrast, I believe the PSR-Sx50 models were released in 2012, followed by the PSR-Sx70 models in 2015, in which case the release of the PSR-Sx75 models in 2018 is more or less right on schedule.

Furthermore, an analysis of the changes made in a particular series from one model to the next shows that they generally follow an alternating pattern of small changes from one model to the next, then large changes from that model to the next, then back to small changes, etc. That isn't a strict pattern, as there might be small changes, followed by more small changes, then large changes, then back to small changes, etc. Note that the changes from PSR-Sx50 to PSR-Sx70 were of the "more substantial" variety, with the introduction of the Live Control knobs, so this suggests that the changes from the PSR-Sx70 to the next models would be expected to be of the "less substantial" variety.

Offline marius9

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »
Very poor. Not what we were all expecting.

If Yamaha did this because of the Korg releases last year fro the PA700 and PA1000, it is clear. Korg released two keyboards that have very good specifications (except for the sampling memory). The bad side of Korg was that they made this big release, but without having the keyboards in stores to be bought... But the difference between Korg and Yamaha is that Korg really made an upgrade from their last models. It felt like a big step forward.
On the other side, Yamaha lets the users to feel like in the other industries, where a button is changed from one side to another and a little bit more memory and 2 mega-pixels in plus and: new product. These are not new products, but marketing move (and not very clever).
Why not clever? Because the Korg users will not pass from their keyboards to Yamaha (specifications are less). Only difference is the sampling memory (but Korg can make it more with just Operating System updates).
Also, current Yamaha users will not pass from S770 or S970 to the new models (there is no reason: the sampling memory it's on not such a big difference that you would sell your old keyboard with less and buy almost the same with more).
And somebody said that old keyboard users will think about getting these new S775 and S975. I think not. Why? Because everybody was waiting for a touch screen with a better User Interface than Genos. Korg is with light years in front in this matter. Because everybody was waiting for more memory and better handling of audio files. As long as you have 13 MB of internal memory, and Korg has 0,90 GB = 900 MB what upgrade would you think that old keyboard users will take?
13 MB for internal memory, without having at least two USB ports, is nothing. In 2018 we should not talk in Mega Bytes. But this is an old problem of Yamaha. Yamaha, I don't want to carry everytime a USB stick (that I can lose). What I use, I want to have in the internal memory (and we are living in 2018, when Flash memories are not a fortune). Also, I don't want to use an USB hub.
Mono legato is a must in any normal arranger with sampling. This is not an upgrade. This is software and could be done in previous keyboards.
Half bar fill-in...

I just hope that there will be major improvements in Yamaha Expansion Manager: and we will be able to use the internal voices with our samples to create new voices (which Korg has for years now). I hope that in Yamaha Expansion Manager we will be able to import more types of files and even the protected ones from previous models (because there is no use of a Customs User tone that you cannot change; if you cannot change it at the level of sample, than your YEM is just a marketing tool and it helps only the ones that want to sell).
Add in YEM possibility to copy/paste voices to elements (so that you don't re-do the note-by-note again and again when you what to combine certain tones).
Add a possibility to make and hear the voices in your keyboard (without making them on PC and then going to keyboards and loading; afterwards realizing that you need to change something because it doesn't sound right and go back to PC and modify without hearing again; going on a loop).
Add possibility in YEM to change the tones in the styles directly in YEM (without going to keyboard, in the simple Style Creator, making change and going back to PC to add them in the pack to have them in the internal memory).
I hope that there is plan for a new Style Creator with advanced features and possibility of real making of styles and customizing. The current old one is a little behind (user interface, possibilities etc.).
Also, the software used with the external devices: update your policy and put software for Android users also (and specify the compatibility with certain tablets, phones) and you will have a big success. You don't have a touch screen, yes? OK. Let the players use their tablets to access the internal voices, features,: the same screen you see on the keyboard (not the screen from Genos) and with touch features, all controlled through MIDI-USB or Wireless. This for sure can be done (and you have to invest only in software without making changes to the production line).

Yamaha could put Korg on their knees with just some small moves in hardware and software.
I could write for days here, but nobody listens anyway, so I have to say that I am disappointed in Yamaha. I am an Yamaha user. But I am thinking of getting a Korg for my next keyboard that I buy (and keep also an Yamaha).

Look at below presentation. The new things in these new PSR S keyboards are only on 1 page, on 1/4 of that page and you can number the words on your fingers.

https://youtu.be/BBq_SaXSUCU

We waited for much, much more from you Yamaha...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:54:01 AM by marius9 »

Jean Abdou

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »
Very poor. Not what we were all expecting.

If Yamaha did this because of the Korg releases last year fro the PA700 and PA1000, it is clear. Korg released two keyboards that have very good specifications (except for the sampling memory). The bad side of Korg was that they made this big release, but without having the keyboards in stores to be bought... But the difference between Korg and Yamaha is that Korg really made an upgrade from their last models. It felt like a big step forward.
On the other side, Yamaha lets the users to feel like in the other industries, where a button is changed from one side to another and a little bit more memory and 2 mega-pixels in plus and: new product. These are not new products, but marketing move (and not very clever).
Why not clever? Because the Korg users will not pass from their keyboards to Yamaha (specifications are less). Only difference is the sampling memory (but Korg can make it more with just Operating System updates).
Also, current Yamaha users will not pass from S770 or S970 to the new models (there is no reason: the sampling memory it's on not such a big difference that you would sell your old keyboard with less and buy almost the same with more).
And somebody said that old keyboard users will think about getting these new S775 and S975. I think not. Why? Because everybody was waiting for a touch screen with a better User Interface than Genos. Korg is with light years in front in this matter. Because everybody was waiting for more memory and better handling of audio files. As long as you have 13 MB of internal memory, and Korg has 0,90 GB = 900 MB what upgrade would you think that old keyboard users will take?
13 MB for internal memory, without having at least two USB ports, is nothing. In 2018 we should not talk in Mega Bytes. But this is an old problem of Yamaha. Yamaha, I don't want to carry everytime a USB stick (that I can lose). What I use, I want to have in the internal memory (and we are living in 2018, when Flash memories are not a fortune). Also, I don't want to use an USB hub.
Mono legato is a must in any normal arranger with sampling. This is not an upgrade. This is software and could be done in previous keyboards.
Half bar fill-in...

I just hope that there will be major improvements in Yamaha Expansion Manager: and we will be able to use the internal voices with our samples to create new voices (which Korg has for years now). I hope that in Yamaha Expansion Manager we will be able to import more types of files and even the protected ones from previous models (because there is no use of a Customs User tone that you cannot change; if you cannot change it at the level of sample, than your YEM is just a marketing tool and it helps only the ones that want to sell).
Add in YEM possibility to copy/paste voices to elements (so that you don't re-do the note-by-note again and again when you what to combine certain tones).
Add a possibility to make and hear the voices in your keyboard (without making them on PC and then going to keyboards and loading; afterwards realizing that you need to change something because it doesn't sound right and go back to PC and modify without hearing again; going on a loop).
Add possibility in YEM to change the tones in the styles directly in YEM (without going to keyboard, in the simple Style Creator, making change and going back to PC to add them in the pack to have them in the internal memory).
I hope that there is plan for a new Style Creator with advanced features and possibility of real making of styles and customizing. The current old one is a little behind (user interface, possibilities etc.).
Also, the software used with the external devices: update your policy and put software for Android users also (and specify the compatibility with certain tablets, phones) and you will have a big success. You don't have a touch screen, yes? OK. Let the players use their tablets to access the internal voices, features,: the same screen you see on the keyboard (not the screen from Genos) and with touch features, all controlled through MIDI-USB or Wireless. This for sure can be done (and you have to invest only in software without making changes to the production line).

Yamaha could put Korg on their knees with just some small moves in hardware and software.
I could write for days here, but nobody listens anyway, so I have to say that I am disappointed in Yamaha. I am an Yamaha user. But I am thinking of getting a Korg for my next keyboard that I buy (and keep also an Yamaha).

Look at below presentation. The new things in these new PSR S keyboards are only on 1 page, on 1/4 of that page and you can number the words on your fingers.

https://youtu.be/BBq_SaXSUCU

We waited for much, much more from you Yamaha...

Well I did not understand some parts of your post. But here is my 2.5 cents for you:

The major difference between Yamaha and Korg is hardware vs software. Yamaha is more into developing hardware and Korg is more into development of software approaches.

That's why you see little feature upgrades with Yamaha and huge feature upgrades with Korg. The draw back of hardware approach is less flexibility compared to software approach, the advantage though, is speed and reliability. Korg has more software issues than Yamaha. Also Yamaha boots up in ~10 seconds, no sample loading overheads etc. With Korg you should wait minutes for the software to load the samples...

YEM is among the best things Yamaha ever did. I strongly disagree with any edits on the keyboard. It should be banned and considered as a major sin. Do you actually ever edit a voice in a live performance? No! Then why on earth you want to be able to edit the voice on a keyboard? It adds unnecessary complexity. Editing styles, voices, samples etc are much faster in an advanced operating system. Yamaha should not reinvent the wheel.

So if you ask me about my preference, I will say the keyboard should be just a device for executing the programs which are all made in a PC. No one should ever create any content on a keyboard. Even recording should be don in a DAW and the keyboard should be only capable of playing it independently in a live situation.

Yamaha cannot add some of the features due to hardware limitations. For example, Kronos uses a PC motherboard, but Yamaha has an internal FM chip-set. There is a huge difference between these two. It will definitely cost Yamaha more! Integrating a PC and a keyboard doesn't require a factory!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
Don't agree, Jean.

I've had my time working with DAWs and VSTs. Nowadays, I want to be able to play, tweak and record all while sitting at the keyboard - and accept the trade off that the options are more limited.
Genos

Offline hans1966

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
Hola Jean

I do not agree with you. Personally I like to make the sound, style and sequence editions directly on my S970. I do not like the idea of ​​having to use external software (in this case YEM) to edit any voice parameter. As for Korg vs Yamaha, it seems to me that both companies do their best to satisfy the needs and demands of all musicians, even some stubborn ones. I am particularly happy with my S970, I have made many sequences, and I have edited them meticulously on my keyboard without the need for external software or PC, and my friends and clients have been very satisfied. I am considering having a second keyboard arranger and it is the Korg Pa1000 to work in conjunction with my S970, I think it is an excellent combination.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:09:14 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline gogo

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »
Also, You don't have a touch screen, yes? OK. Let the players use their tablets to access the internal voices, features,: the same screen you see on the keyboard (not the screen from Genos) and with touch features, all controlled through MIDI-USB or Wireless. This for sure can be done (and you have to invest only in software without making changes to the production line).
yamaha actually actually done something like this with their brand new CSP pianos where one controls the change of voice/style/variation from their iPad. In my opinion, the implementation of this feature is far from perfect (=read: “poor”). At the first moment I was eager to book a visit to the Frankfurter Musikmesse to have first-hand experience with the piano, but the youtube presentation has dissuaded me from doing that.

The only thing I am sorry about is that the price of the s770 has plumetted to around €700-800 which makes it a fantastic deal. I bought mine at €950 but anyway, I am not going to change/upgrade my keys in the forseeable future, regardless of what they come up with.

The following users thanked this post: marius9

beykock

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »

I am very pleased with my S970 but took the risk and ordered the Yamaha PSRS975 last Friday.
Have to wait approx. 4 to 6 weeks before it will arrive.
The S970 is easy to sell, I guess.

Babette

iwiw

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
How and where may I ask did you purchase a PSR S975? I can't find one for sale in US.

beykock

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
As I said in my previous message I ordered it a few days ago.

My dealer believes it will take at least 4 weeks before it will arrive in Europe. It will be on the boat now, I hope.

I have been promised to get more delivery feedback tomorrow ... I wonder.

Babette

Offline Ingar

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 10:53:24 PM »
Hi

PSR S975 is just around the corner...

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s975/index.html

Live controllers and half-bar fill in...

Jørgen
I do hope for possibility to create a songlist with my personal setting, transpose tempo and so on  :)

biuro74

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »
Hi,

My humble 2p: marketing, marketing, marketing. Personally marketing in Yamaha is to be fired ;-) Releasing new models with COSMETICAL changes only (as said) for higher price at the same time, is completely not reasonable, but from marketing point of view "quite brilliant idea" - as long as customers want to upgrade their 970/770s of course ;-) Have you noticed big rumours regarding to Genos release ? I have just realized, I haven't heard anything about new PSRs until today, lol. It's significant that Yamaha released these models in silence, one might say "with a shame" (shame they are not Genos-based). Small model number increase 970->975 only confirms there's nothing to expect really. It's big pity, like from here to K2 ;-) Virtual competition against Korg shouldn't look like that, sorry Yamaha marketing guys.

I'm wondering, why Yamaha issued these models at all. I expected new PSR models around Q3/Q4 2018, but they should've been be Genos-based. Why Yamaha decided to release something like that quickly - I'd say: prematurely - it's only Yamaha's top secret. Like their paint code for silver casings that I repair from time to time. Such a brand like Yamaha does not have to remind customers they exist, especially releasing some semi-featured models only because they don't want wait more. Maybe this is good question, which creates suspicion new Genos-based PSR models will not be ready this year ? Maybe Genos sales are not so high as expected ? I hope this strategy has been thoroughly considered by Yamaha, otherwise there might be serious questions to arrangers future.

Offline mark fernando

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 12:24:39 AM »
Hi,

I have Yamaha PSR S950 and my local music store announced that due to release of PSR S975 the price of older models will fall lot. This happens to Tyros too. Couple of years ago I bought it for nearly $2000 CAD. last week they informed me that trading value of PSR S950 will be $$700- $800. This is very disappointing for a person who really wants to upgrade. Now Yamaha released S975 with minor upgrades. I had Korg PA900 and when they release a model that model will stay in the market and even after releasing Korg Pa1000 (probably after 4-5 years) it will hard to find a older model below $1300- $1500 CAD range.

Thanks

Mark

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 03:16:51 AM »
I imagine that the store isn't giving you full resale value on a trade-in because once they buy your old PSR-S950 they intend to mark up the selling price to what they consider the actual resale value to be. That way they can make some kind of profit on it. While it might be more of a hassle to sell it yourself, you'll probably be able to get a better price for it.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:06 AM »
Another feature in the 975, pointed out by a friend, is that you can now use MIDI to recall (call up) Registrations on the PSR-S975.  I guess it works as it does on Tyros/Genos.  I use this feature a LOT on my T5 and Genos, so I'm glad Yamaha has added it to the PSR line.  Another friend hopes they'll add it to the CVP line.

It's seen in the Data List, on a page where in small print it says "Regist". or similar, which is how it appears for Tyros/Genos data list.  This means you can send MIDI commands to the 975 to tell it to bring up a specific Registration for you.  Works great for me by tying the MIDI data to each PDF file in the unrealBook app on iPad.  I call up a song on the iPad, and my keyboard is instantly ready (Set up) for me to play that song.

-Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Genos has been the fastest selling keyboard so far. I don't expect the next S series will be out for at least another eighteen months though.