Author Topic: Audio style storage  (Read 3960 times)

Offline a048352

Audio style storage
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
It has come to my attention that audio styles (the waveform data for the rex drum loops) are stored in the USER drive and not in the expansion memory. This would mean that there is no restriction on storing audio styles and ran out of expansion memory. But unfortunately it is counted along in YEM with sounds. Hope they make it possible with next upgrade to install audio styles without creating a pack which contains all premium sounds. When playing audio styles the first time on genos and then opening a menu, you get a hickup. After 1 measure the audio is back in sync, hope they adress this bug also with the other ones...

Offline StuartR

Re: Audio style storage
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »
It has come to my attention that audio styles (the waveform data for the rex drum loops) are stored in the USER drive and not in the expansion memory. This would mean that there is no restriction on storing audio styles and ran out of expansion memory. But unfortunately it is counted along in YEM with sounds. Hope they make it possible with next upgrade to install audio styles without creating a pack which contains all premium sounds. When playing audio styles the first time on genos and then opening a menu, you get a hickup. After 1 measure the audio is back in sync, hope they adress this bug also with the other ones...

Too much hoping, not enough reporting. Please take a moment and call Yamaha to discuss. This could benefit all of us if they see things your way.😀👍

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
Audio Styles have Audio drums so there fore must be stored with audio samples. It has always worked this way even with the packs you may have bought from Yamaha.

Marcus

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »
On the Tyros 5 the Audio data for the Audio Styles was stored on a specific internal chip, with only a capacity six or seven expansion audio styles at a time. My understanding is, the Yamaha Audio Styles uses their own "Time-Stretch" technology which is not Recycle or the REX format.

You are correct, the new downloadable Audio Style Genos versions use up significant YEM space and presently are stored in the expansion folder. The Genos Reference Manual states, "Editing of Audio Styles is not available on firmware version 1.10 or before. It will be available in a future version upgrade."

On the Tyros 5, edited Audio Styles by means through the Style Creator were saved to the User Drive. My guess is, once Yamaha gives us the updated firmware, the uploaded Audio Styles will be able to be copied directly to the Genos User drive, freeing up the YEM and Expansion memory. If direct copying is however not possible at this point, at the very least I should be able to open each Audio Style in Style Creator and then save to the Genos User Drive and then delete the original copies from the expansion freeing up space.

I did experience the hiccup glitch as well a couple of times. I am wondering if this will be resolved once the Audio Styles are stored on the User Drive or after the firmware upgraded. They worked flawlessly on the Tyros 5,so no reason for glitches on the Genos. I for one will keep on this issue because I used edited Audio Styles extensively on my Tyros 5 and wish to continue the same on my Genos.

I doubt very much that Yamaha intends to keep them stored in the YEM and Expansion memory, by as a temporary means to transfer them and any transferred expansion audio styles to your Genos, which should be available around March/April 2018. Definitely User REX files will use up YEM/Expansion space as well. Mostly likely REX type files will permanently use expansion memory, but perhaps a slim chance any User created REX Style/Multipads might be able to be transfered/saved to the User Drive as well, through the Style/Multipad Creators. I keep you posted when we get to that point.

Marcus