Author Topic: Genos Ensemble voices  (Read 9226 times)

Offline terryB

Genos Ensemble voices
« on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
I am surprised that the Genos does not appear to have an access button to the ensemble feature, as did the T5, nor can you assign one of the 6 assignable buttons to do this. The only way, seems to me, is via the voice selection menu. Unless I am missing something ???
This is, I regard as a major feature of the T5 (which had button) access, now Genos, but seems to have been hidden away on Genos. Just saying !
Cheers
Terry

Online EileenL

Re: Genos Ensemble voices
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Well I suppose the best place to put it was with the voices and makes it easy to find. You soon get used to it.
 Same goes for Organ World. It is now with the organ voices which makes sense in a way as they are all voices.

The following users thanked this post: GrantB

vanray

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
I am surprised that the Genos does not appear to have an access button to the ensemble feature, as did the T5,
nor can you assign one of the 6 assignable buttons to do this. The only way, seems to me, is via the voice selection menu. Unless I am missing something ???
This is, I regard as a major feature of the T5 (which had button) access, now Genos, but seems to have been hidden away on Genos. Just saying !
Cheers
Terry

Yes your right terryb
if enough people request this easy link to the ensemble sections
maby they can add it.
but maby no one uses it anymore.
i dont know of Any other Keyboard that has this unique feature.

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »
I think it is easy enough to find as it is. We must be expected to do some work for ourselves on getting used to the way Genos is now and not what Tyros 5 did. Once you allow yourself to get used to it you will find it easy.

Offline GrantB

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
Hi,
Eileen is absolutely correct in what she says. Genos is a completely different keyboard to Tyros and I for one expected it to be so. Yes, I have had problems in getting used to the new software but I actually expected this as I would with any major upgrade like Windows 8 to 10 for example or changing to an Ipad.  However, I am now getting used to using Genos and yes of course I occasional scratch my head or shout out an expletive and then have a look at both manuals, in particular the Reference Guide to see if I can solve my problem. If not I then look on this forum to get an answer and I usually always do.
Those of us who have purchased Genos are in the process of getting used to a completely new keyboard, which perhaps Yamaha should have delayed selling until some of the issues were sorted. We have already had one firmware update with another to follow soon. Having said that I am still delighted with Genos, the new styles, voices, layout and the touchscreen.

So come on folks consider yourself on a learning curve and report any real issues to Yamaha support who hopefully will take note.

Cheers  :) :)

Grant     

Online EileenL

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
I could not agree more Grant,
  The amount of time that has been spent posting pictures and long posts could have been used getting used to how Genos works.

Marcus

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
  The amount of time that has been spent posting pictures and long posts could have been used getting used to how Genos works.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, Vanray's post above with the photos was a perfect concise response on how to find the Genos Preset Ensemble folder and how to edit the ensemble voices.

It is only to our mutual benefit for forum member to take the time to post such responses.

Marcus
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:37:28 PM by Marcus »

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »
The reason I miss the button access to the ensemble feature is because on T5 I would swap between say an OTS button to ensemble, then back again to the OTS, (say as in last date, verse piano, chorus nice string setting). I know I could set up registrations, but if I am just playing around trying things and don't want to bother with registrations, it was fun.
I am not really moaning, i'll get over it, but I flag it up because if a simple update could be made to include it in assignable buttons, for me it would be an improvement.

Cheers
Terry

vanray

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 05:21:21 PM »
My Point is :
this isnt something to re learn, this is a request.

The "Fade in Fade out " Feature is no longer a button
on the genos, like it is on the tyros 5

BUT you can link it to an assignable button ,like "F" on the genos

so why allow one, but not the other ?
the "organ-world & "ensemble " are not assignable ,
 yet they were both separate buttons on the tyros 5

vanray

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 05:26:24 PM »

I dont understand your point ?

if your referring to the long posts with pictures, that revealed the faulty compressors
are you saying that it should have been ignored ?

Marcus

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
The reason I miss the button access to the ensemble feature is because on T5 I would swap between say an OTS button to ensemble, then back again to the OTS, (say as in last date, verse piano, chorus nice string setting). I know I could set up registrations, but if I am just playing around trying things and don't want to bother with registrations, it was fun.
I am not really moaning, i'll get over it, but I flag it up because if a simple update could be made to include it in assignable buttons, for me it would be an improvement.

Cheers
Terry
With the Ensemble button gone, you will need one extra press. Press one of the black voice select buttons and you will see Ensemble as one of the preset voice folders or press a voice from the Home menu.

You can also save Ensemble voices in the OTS memory buttons themselves. This is one of the strong points of the Tyros 5 or Genos, Ensemble voices saved within the OTS and can play while playing a style or alternate with regular voices. I also made up an entire Ensemble registration voice bank. So best bet would be to use registration or OTS saves. Just pressing the Ensemble folder or Ensemble button on the Tyros 5 would only access the last active ensemble voice selection anyway.

I brought this point up in another post, to allow the option any combination of direct file access memory links to the 6 black assignable buttons from the 6 white button categories, like Style, Voice, Song etc. I am sure Yamaha can add this option with a firmware update. Then as a User you could press the white voice button category and then have the option of assigning a file access link to the Genos Ensemble voice folder, as an example.

Marcus

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 12:32:56 AM »
Eileen is one of the smartest people I have ever "not met." Wish I could spend an afternoon over some nice tea and biscuits, just probing her brilliant mind to learn what I need to know about "whatever." :).

I'm sure I speak for the group - you're the best, Eileen :) !!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: pjd, Roshure

Offline terryB

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
My initial post expressed surprise that Yamaha had removed the button for the ensemble feature, as on the T5 it was put out as major feature and advance in keyboard technology, and it remains so on Genos. I know I can easily work around its removal, but I know the ensemble feature is there, and how effective it is. I would have imagined that Yamaha would have chosen to flag this feature up on the keyboard face to advertise its inclusion, because it is a feature I don't think any other keyboard has.

Cheers
Terry

Online EileenL

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »
Thank you very much Lee for those very kind words and I do appreciate them.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline rattley

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
An afternoon with Eileen.............sounds delightful!!  -charley

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 11:03:10 PM »
You're welcome, Eileen. Guess I'd have to cross the big pond before knocking on your door :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
Hi Eileen
The trouble is that Yamaha have put all the features in different cupboards.
It Is like walking around Marks and Spencer.
Every time you go there all the shelves seem to have moved about when you are looking for something you need. :P

All the best
John ;D!!
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Tankdave

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 12:01:30 AM »
At least us "Never had a Tyros" guys don't have the problem.  ;D

Online EileenL

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 02:30:39 AM »
Well John,
As you know if you walk round M and S a few times you soon get used to where things now are. ;)

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2024, 01:47:20 PM »
Can ensemble voices be saved to the favorites?

Online cyber swine

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2024, 02:01:00 PM »
Please forgive me for saying this on the premium Yamaha forum in response to the "no other keyboards have this....etc."   The PA5x has both fade out and ensemble buttons up front and centre.  I love the Genos but agree with the OP's sentiments.  I frequently use both buttons when I do tear myself away from the G machine.  Just sayin'
Genos 1     PA5X    Kawai MP7 88