Author Topic: Genos 1 Worth a watch  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Graham UK

Genos 1 Worth a watch
« on: December 27, 2023, 10:04:54 AM »
Leigh Wilbraham has recently done an interesting new video for owners wanting to keep their Genos 1.
SCROLL VIDEO TO THE START...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddBiWmEgrY&t=391s

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 10:11:48 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic

Offline BogdanH

Re: Genos 1 Worth a watch
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 10:32:41 AM »
I'm personally not interested on his content -because, although he says the opposite, he's extremely biased.

Just my opinion,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 11:18:15 AM »
Bogdau. I placed this in the forum just for the interest of the many who are staying with the Genos 1

If you are Personally not interested then don't watch it.

My DGX670 is all I require.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 01:13:42 PM »
Thanks for the link, Graham. Switching to G2 is a huge money move for some. Personally, the G1 still satisfies my needs for band and duet work but there's no doubt the G2 would sound better. When the G1 came out, I had to replace my T5 because the Genos sounded that much better. It's nice that Leigh points out the strengths of the G1 and that it isn't dead yet 🤣.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline cyber swine

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 01:15:58 PM »
I was interested to watch it but should have known better.  I gave up after a few minutes because life is too short to wade through all the verbiage.  Would like to see a brief summary though.....
Genos 1     PA5X    Kawai MP7 88

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 06:49:00 PM »
I was interested to watch it but should have known better.  I gave up after a few minutes because life is too short to wade through all the verbiage.  Would like to see a brief summary though.....

Brief summary: "Don't be afraid to buy a Genos1 (new stock or used). Prices are great. Save money."

Done.

As much as I like Leigh's work, twenty minutes to say this, is 19 minutes too much. At age 72, the sand is running out of the hourglass and I don't have time to watch a zillion videos...  :D

Best to everyone -- pj
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 06:50:29 PM by pjd »

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 06:54:00 PM »
Good point, PJ.

Some people will tell you how to build a watch, when all you really want to know is the time 🤣. A lot of YouTube videos are so good, aside from the creator thinking they're an Oscar winning actor. Just the facts please!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 06:57:19 PM »
Good point, PJ.

Also, the written word seems to be dead.  :o  >:(

:D pj

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 09:01:06 AM »
Brief summary: "Don't be afraid to buy a Genos1 (new stock or used). Prices are great. Save money."

Done.

As much as I like Leigh's work, twenty minutes to say this, is 19 minutes too much. At age 72, the sand is running out of the hourglass and I don't have time to watch a zillion videos...  :D

Best to everyone -- pj

" Save  money" is a relative concept.
You see.....
The golden rule of economics when I was growing up was that the most effective way of saving money is not to spend it on a whim in the first place. It has served me well over 77 years!
I enjoy Leighs entertaining videos, but a salesman he is not!

Happy 2024 to you all.
Keith.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 12:14:14 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »
Well, once you have decided to buy a Genos doesn't matter if it’s a 1 or a 2, you are not saving money … you are spending it. Otherwise it starts to sound like my wife’s economic philosophy….I bought this $200 silk scarf for $100 in the sale, so I saved  $100. And I bought a dress with the $100 I saved, ….so it was really all free! ;D ;D
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 02:05:36 PM »
Good one, Mike!

That's like the fellow who cut 15 cm off the top of his blanket and sewed the piece onto the bottom of the blanket and told everyone his blanket was 15 cm longer 🤣!

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 05:41:06 PM »
" Save  money" is a relative concept.

The golden rule of economics when I was growing up was that the most effective way of saving money is not to spend it on a whim in the first place. It has served me well over 77 years!

Alright, alright, gentlemen.  :) That's "Spend less money than buying a Genos2."

I'm with you, Keith. There is "want" and there is "need".  ;)

-- pj

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 06:23:55 PM »
Good one, PJ. Whenever I start eyeballing a new keyboard, the wife says, "You need to get over it."

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 07:56:23 PM »
None of us here will ever get over it😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline cyber swine

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 11:37:11 PM »
Was just kicking tires in my local music store and noted that a new Nord Stage 4 88 key was $700.00 MORE than a new Genos 2.  So if you're in the market for the Genos 2 look how much money you can save by "only" buying that!

Offline Keystar

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2023, 01:18:22 AM »
A smart wife would know that there worse hobbies for her man to spend money on. Buying an expensive keyboard will keep him home to say the least 😉

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 03:40:50 AM »
A smart wife would know that there worse hobbies for her man to spend money on. Buying an expensive keyboard will keep him home to say the least 😉
True, but my wife is happy I go out and make money with my Genos 😀!

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2023, 04:56:46 AM »
Be careful Lee, maybe she’s just happy to see you go out!  ;D ;D

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2023, 01:14:17 PM »
Be careful Lee, maybe she’s just happy to see you go out!  ;D ;D
That's likely too 🤣!

Offline Denn

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2023, 06:51:06 AM »
Read all the useful information.

"You need to get over it."

None of us here will ever get over it😀

I can get over almost anything, but I can't get over loosing My T4!
From my T4 "Don't forget to remember me"

I have been in a quandary whether to buy a Genos2. Thanks for putting my right.
Denn.

Love knitting dolls

Offline Bill

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »
I'm personally not interested on his content -because, although he says the opposite, he's extremely biased.

Just my opinion,
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan

I do not think Leigh is Biased at all. He is simply Enthusiastic.  Se his last video which has some very good tips.  https://youtu.be/TunAKdQvQpo?si=RLB3L5Dun_nQTrnZ

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2023, 04:01:06 PM »
That was vey good and gave some good idea's to.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2023, 04:42:31 PM »
There is a local furniture store that advertises that you save $100 for every $1000 you spend... so if you spend $5000 at the store you just "SAVED" $500.

How ridiculous is that!

::)   ;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline cyber swine

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2023, 05:08:49 PM »
Hi Bogdan

I do not think Leigh is Biased at all. He is simply Enthusiastic.  Se his last video which has some very good tips.  https://youtu.be/TunAKdQvQpo?si=RLB3L5Dun_nQTrnZ

Bill

He is enthusiastic because he is apparently promoting his own for profit business under the guise of a "club".  It seems somewhat disingenuous to me.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2024, 02:55:58 PM »

Just my opinion,
Bogdan

I agree Bogdan. I particularly didn't like the video he made regarding what "he" didn't like about the Genos2 and went on and on about the stick, which in my opinion I find the stick absolutely fine and prefer it to the wheels actually (not sure how many people do), but Lord Leigh hates the "toyish" concept!! OK, that's fine, but it's just his arrogant attitude where he was hoping (expecting??) Yamaha were watching his videos and to adopt "his" preference to any future Genos models to try and get them going back to using wheels as if he had a say in the matter!. I really found that arrogant and I hope Yamaha don't change the design back!!! So what if he doesn't like certain things about the Genos1 & 2, a million others may like it. He also does tend to contradict himself a lot as well. I would take all his comments with a pinch of salt. Yes his videos can be useful, his playing is usually great but that's about it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:26:01 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2024, 03:56:38 PM »
hi Danny,
You (and cyber swine) pretty much described what I had in mind. He also has his methods of how to push his opinion, in manipulative sense ".. I don't say this keyboard is bad, but..." -that way he actually marks it as bad. And there's more...
Anyway, at the end, everyone should watch and read what he finds informative and make his own conclusions.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2024, 04:28:57 PM »
Oh, of course he's trying to 'entertain', you either like that or you don't. In any case, he can play well, you can't fault that.

Absolutely, he is very talented and a joy to watch when he plays, there's no doubt about that so don't get me wrong on that, I could watch his playing all day long.

Maybe he makes those comments to invite deliberate feedback. It keeps the interest going anyway.

Offline alans

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2024, 08:57:16 PM »
Leigh's videos are very good,as long as you don't take him too seriously,he can be very contradictive at times.As for the 'wiggle stick',never heard him mention it on Genos 1 videos,now he dislikes it on G2 😒 as for the sliders,he thought they were brilliant when he did his initial review of the G2 ,just what we've been waiting for! now they annoy him ? 😕 Having said all this,I still enjoy his videos,but have to have a lie down after watching them ! 😘

Best Wishes to all

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2024, 03:41:15 PM »
don't take him too seriously,he can be very contradictive at times

Hi Alan,

Yes that's correct, and after watching many of his videos I think he does this deliberately to provoke reaction, to keep the interest going and the comments on his videos to build and grab attention. Otherwise I don't know why else he would make it so blatant and I am sure he knows what he's doing!

I will say though, he's not the only one that does these kinds of videos, there's many more out there if you search for them.