Author Topic: Shadow sound on Genos  (Read 5787 times)

louwe46

Shadow sound on Genos
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »
I own a Genos,

I am looking for a good shadow sound, which is the best sound? or where can I load a shadow sound?

Thank you

louwe46

Offline pjd

Re: Shadow sound on Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »
60sShadowLead and 60sShadowMute under the Electric Guitar category?

Presumably you've found and tried these prset voices. If they aren't what you're looking for, perhaps you can offer a few more details about what you need?

-- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
60sShadowLead and 60sShadowMute under the Electric Guitar category?

Presumably you've found and tried these prset voices. If they aren't what you're looking for, perhaps you can offer a few more details about what you need?

-- pj

Ok, I'll bite. What is a shadow sound?

Offline alans

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:45:04 PM »
Ok, I'll bite. What is a shadow sound?

The Shadow sound is the type of music played by  British guitar band called The Shadows,they mostly used Fender Strats with echo and delay,but sometimes used Burns guitars from the Uk
Their hayday was mostly 60s and early 70s but were still performing together until fairly recently I believe,they mainly played instrumentals

Alan
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:50:03 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Oldden

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
Hi,
An American version of the Shadows was the Ventures. They had a similar type of sound and sometimes the same record was recorded by both groups. I think IMHO " walk don't run", by the Ventures was better than the Shadows, but it all boils down to personal choice.
Oldden

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »
If I remember ;): Cliff Richard and the Shadows (UK), Hank Marvin, (if you whish pls. search the internet on these names) is the lead guitarist and lives in Australia and is still performing. Under the (older) guitarist there is almost a scientific approach to get as close to 'The Shadows' sound ;) I too have played Shadowsongs with my electric guitar with several effect pedals to become as close as... That's a minor reason to go for the T5 too. You can plugin a guitar and use the effects of the keyboard. But I don't think it can compete with a standalone effect generator, but once I will try that. It is one of my former favourites, I must admit  ;) 8)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Oldden

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »
Hi,
Showing my age now, I think Hank Marvin used a tape loop device called if I remember a Vox Tom Long or Tom Short plus other tape loop devices to give his echo sound. It was really just  a tape recorder with an endless loop tape the design of which was never seemed to be copied electronically, at least in the early days. There is a good chance that I am totally wrong in this, so oops, sorry, there must be a delete message button somewhere.
Oldden

Offline alans

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
Hi Oldden

Hank used a Meazzi Echomatic unit most of the time,a Watkins Copycat does a similar job,as you say ,an endless tape going round the record and replay heads  a really simple device

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »
No reason to delete your post Oldden, unless you regret showing your age ;D ;D When I was with the Final Tour of the Shadows (a few years ago) I was sitting on the 20th row or something. Almost all the man in front of me, looking at the back of their head, had a bold spot and/or had gray hairs. Ooops, now I'v berayed my age too. ;) ;D
But about the Vox, almost right on spot acc. to the technique! 8)

Sorry Louwe46, is was not my purpose to hijack your post. Memories etc. Maybe another Genos-Shadow-fan can help you further. Maybe a little tweaking with the EQ (more mid hights), a little more compression and echo (3 or 4 echo intervals/some reverb could be satisfiing?? Regards
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:22:42 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton