Author Topic: Trouble with Discover Genus playlist  (Read 7924 times)

Offline terryB

Trouble with Discover Genus playlist
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
Hi

I can not get the Discover Genos to function.

I follow Yamaha instructions to the letter, every thing seems to work till I select one of the 5 playlists, press the the playlist button again, select a playlist file, press enter, then a message comes up saying ''file not found or inappropriate''

Anybody got a clue  :-\ :-\

Cheers
Terry

Offline terryB

Re: Trouble with Discover Genus playlist
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »
I will add that I am using only one usb inserted as USB 1 taken from the underneath compartment and now mounted in the front as USB 1

Cheers Terry

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
Hi Terry,

I assume you completely followed the Yamaha instruction, unzipped the "Diiscover_Genos.zip" file directly to "Discover_Genos", not adding another extra folder of "Discover_Genos" because some zip files do not contain a subfolder and thus a lot of people unzip the zip files onto a subfolder with the same name of the zip file.  The "Discover_Genos.zip" file already contains a subfolder "Discover_Genos" and so a direct "Extract here" is appropriate here.  Then you copy the extracted subfolder "Discover_Genos" to the root directory of your USB stick.

The directory structure should be like this (assuming your USB stick is U: drive):
U:\Discover_Genos>tree
Folder PATH listing
Volume serial number is 1E28-C3BF
U:.
└───Assets
    ├───Audio
    │   ├───100_Producers_Kit
    │   │   ├───01_reversed_Kit
    │   │   ├───02_Atonal_Chips
    │   │   ├───03_Tonal_Chips
    │   │   ├───04_Vocal_Smash
    │   │   ├───05_Sexy_Girl
    │   │   └───06_Stereo
    │   ├───109_Eye_Of_The_Tiger
    │   ├───Loops
    │   ├───Sound_FX
    │   └───_Demosongs
    ├───Multi_Pad
    ├───Registrations
    └───TXT

When you press the "Playlist" button, by default, the playlist is the last playlist you accessed:

You touch the on screen playlist name, then the screen will take you to the same storage area that you stored your current playlist, in my case, it is USB1:

You then press USB1, P1 to see the "Discover_Genos" subfolder:

Press the "Discover_Genos" subfolder, you get:

Suppose you want to try the "Singer_Songwriter" playlist, you press it:

Now you have the "Singer_Songwriter" playlist:

You can then either double press the song name, or single press the song name followed by pressing "Load" to load the song, including the text file and registrations.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: terryB, GrantB, ton37

Offline terryB

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
Hi Paul

Thanks for your detailed response, which I will study tomorrow.
But its got worse, the Bonus Playlist which I had installed on the User drive and working OK, is now producing the same message as Discover Genos  in USB1 :-\ :-\
How can that be ??? its on a different drive.

I downloaded the Discover Genos-zip  file to my pc, copied that file directly to the USB. Then I extracted the file within the USB which produced another file called Discover Genos (no zip). This is what I plugged into the the keyboard to get the result I did.

Cheers
Terry

ps Thanks for your learned contributions to to this forum which I am sure are greatly appreciated by all members

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
Hi Terry,

I only put my Bonus and "Discover Genos" playlist related folders on USB1, not USER.  The Bonus and "Discover Genos" playlists have references to I: drive, which is USB1.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline terryB

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »
Hi Paul

You were correct with your guess that a Discover Genus folder was within another folder of the same name. I did as per the readme file, ie. I copied the downloaded zip file to the root directory of the USB1 extracted from Genos, then unzipped it which created the file within a file  ??? ???. This is how I interpreted the instructions. In my PC I cut and pasted the package under a single folder 'Discover_Genos' which worked :) :) Maybe the better way would be to extact the downloaded zip file directly to the USB ??

Thanks for your help with this

Cheers
Terry

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
Hi Terry,

I am glad you finally got what I meant.  In helping other Genos owners like yourself, I have been self trained to do some 'detective' work to rule out any possible wrong assumptions, in order to obtain a true common ground to work with.  In a lot of cases, the claim that the other owner was totally correct in following instructions should not be assumed.

Before you unzip any downloaded zip file, it is always safer to double-click it to invoke WinZip or WinRar program to see if the zip file contains a folder already.  If the zip file already contains a folder that holds all the contents of the zip file, just unzip it without adding another folder.  I think this precaution is a overall better practice than blindly unzipping into an additional folder name with the same name of the zip file.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: terryB

Offline mikey4u100

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »
Might be wrong, I am on a regular basis, according to my wife, but click on the playlist file you want. the clicked file goes white. now just click the X in top right of screen and that list should be displayed!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:39:31 PM »
I have my playlists save to my user drive and they work fine but you must remember to select user at the top of the page first.

8t8KEEZ

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
Zionip - THANK you so much! I tried 2 or 3 different ways ... and your explanation made it clear... THEN, I went back to check the instructions from Yamaha... Ha! A lot of us don't read the instructions, hence ... nice to have gurus such as yourself, available to help us lazy folks... :)