Author Topic: Genos better than T5? Points from zero to ten please...  (Read 28710 times)

Offline zionip

Re: Genos better than T5? Points from zero to ten please...
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
It really depends on how the Genos owners perceive the scale of improvement of Genos compared to Tyros5.

0    1     2     3    4   . . .  X       . . .    . . .    . . .   Y  10   <- Relative scale of performance, with X for T5, and Y for Genos?
                                     0   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   <- Relative scale of improvement, with Tyros 5 as base value 0.
                                    T5                                 Genos
                                  Great                               Greater
Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:23:23 PM by zionip »

Offline alans

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
Hi Will

I presume you are adding up the scores for Genos and will arrive at an average score eventually,are you surprised at the answers given or no ?

I think you are asking a very subjective question,given you have had scores from 1 to 10 ! 😀

Members are bound to give a high score if they like and enjoy playing the Genos,even if they think it is not a large improvement over the T5.
How many replies are you aiming for to arrive at an average,if that is your intention?

Alan

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
Well Jorgen,
  Each Yamaha keyboard I have had has had large improvments on it so nothing new there. I will say that Ensemlbe really dose sound a lot better on Genos and also Organ World which is now incorperated in the organ voices.

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
Well Eileen

Yes, I totally agree that all new models have improvements. What I'm looking for is: What do you judge Tyros 5 to today on a scale from 1 to 10?

In November 2013, Tyros 5 was "mind blowing" - your wording -, which must be 10 on the 2013 scale.

Tyros 5 can not be judged to 10 today if Genos is judged to 10 and Genos is considered to be better than Tyros 5.

Now, is Tyros 5 = 8 (Genos is 25% better than Tyros 5)
or is Tyros 5 = 6.66 (Genos is 50% better than Tyros 5)
or is Tyros 5 = 5 (Genos is 100% better than Tyros 5)

I think it's also the comparison that Will calls for.

Jørgen
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:09:06 AM by Jørgen »
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:52 AM »
Genos is all most perfect. So that´s a 9.
Tyros 5 is still a very good instrument. So that´s a 7.

And its expected that there will be a few content patches in the future.
So the Genos will become even more complete.

Almost every little bit of the Tyros 5 got improved with the Genos.

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:58 AM »
Very interesting link Jorgen ... The T4/T5 debates were eerily similar to the T5/Genos ones we're now seeing ...

Indeed, deja vu. And as far as I'm concerned the same goes for the Yamaha demo's... "simply amaaaaaaazing". ;)

regards,
Peter

Mark Z.

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
Tyros 5 is still an superior Arranger but the Genos offers me more ;

New and better Drums and what is the most important here
the better and more easy Drum Edit .

The far more easy Style Assembly and once more important here
the Drum Edit .

The new Drums and Drum Edit makes very much possible for the
MultiPads  , specally for making your own MultiPads .

The new MultiPads .

The Arpeggiator with all the possibilities in Sound changing .
The Arpeggiator in combination with the MultiPads .

The new and better Sounds with new and better Effects .
The Effects are easy to edit .

The 10 Registration buttons ( The Tyros 5 had 8 ) .
The 2 new buttons could be used to create new extra Registrations
with the Arpeggiator .

These are some items which make me a happy Genos user ,
there are more but this should be enough for today .

These improvements make me giving 10 to the Genos .

Offline torben

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
Dear friends

we are going around in circles here ...  :)

I guess the best way you could ask the question, that would satisfy the survey, could be: How many percent better do you think that the Genos is - compared to the Tyros 5?  :-X

For instance:
0% - they are equally good
100% - Genos is double as good as Tyros 5 ...
My personal opinion is 40 to 50%

My 50 cents ...

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2018, 11:43:52 AM »

I think too many people are either on Yamaha's payroll, easily influenced by them or are in denial because of the amount of money they've spent.

I imagine that if you put a T5 (maybe even a T4) and a Genos side by side with a professional musician, the vast majority of people here would be pushed to tell the difference..

Regards,

I said this very same thing over a month ago, and got a verbal smackdown from Bachus, of all people.

We humans are always looking for the latest fad, or Guru, or Messiah to follow, to be part of the "IN" crowd.
Currently it's the Genos.

You may get some honest unbiased comparisons, but many others will just offer a knee jerk reaction, even when you explain over and over, the motive for this comparison test.

I treasure a movie by Monty Python, called "The Life Of Brian."
I recommend this movie to anyone who has never seen it.

And for those who have seen it, a rerun now and then wouldn't hurt.
It shows, in true Monty Python style, our human fallibilities, and the lengths we would go to, to defend our beliefs.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:44:30 PM by Pianoman »

Offline pjd

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »
I treasure a movie by Monty Python, called "The Life Of Brian."

Right on, Pianoman.

Follow the gourd! Follow the shoe! Pretty much summarizes many discussions on the Web.   ;)

Meanwhile, I'm just playin' this thang...  :D

Stay happy in the new year -- pj

P.S. Well, I just had an epiphany. Playing Junior Walker's "What Does It Take" with the new FunkAltoSax. I rest my case. Pianoman, I can't wait to hear you rock this.  :)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:11:35 PM by pjd »

Offline Will49

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2018, 02:09:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

John (jwyvern in Reply #49) said “Will, I think different people are interpreting your rules differently and some of the rankings being given are apples versus oranges. As it stands it's all very confusing”. Yes, I agree… things have got a bit more complicated than I had expected! My reason for having started such a survey in the first place was the result of the sheer joy I’m currently experiencing with my recently acquired T5/76.. and thinking how could anything (or more to the point, the Genos) possibly be better than it! And if that was, indeed, possible… then by HOW much. Hence the scale of zero to 10 points. And it seemed at the time that I wasn’t alone in my assumption that it was a simple enough method, as Alan (Reply #4) said: “You ask a very interesting question” and “A good post Will”.

However, it seems that not everyone has quite understood what I wanted to know (which has resulted in bit of confusion). The majority, on the other hand, have given me exactly what I was looking for. Some have taken a slightly different angle (but equally as helpful) by giving both T5 and Genos a score (0-10) in terms of excellence. For example, Spirit of the old South (Reply #54) says: “Genos is almost perfect. So that´s a 9. Tyros 5 is still a very good instrument. So that´s a 7”. Another poster who even went ‘over the call of duty’ was Soundphase (Reply #10), who supplied a detailed account of how he had arrived at his total score of 6/10 improvement margin over a T5!

So I’d like to say a big Thank You to all who have participated in this little survey so far (but continue by all means if you feel you have more to add). I’m now beginning to get a little picture of how much of an improvement the Genos (REALLY) is over my T5. But let’s just say for the moment that the way I perceive that ‘picture’ is that my T5/76 is pretty tight on Genos’ heels..... in the areas/features that interests me. I may, therefore, be hanging on to it a while longer than the 18-24 months originally specified!  :)

Regards,
Will
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:14:10 PM by Will49 »

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
Ditto here Will :)

regards,
Peter

Offline metcam

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
+6

+1    touch screen
+2:  1.8 GB sampling
+3:  Internal ram (no extra spending money for external ram)
+4:  Joystick
+5:  10 Register Memory buttons
+6:  Mono-Legato

-1 :  No deep style creator on-board or in YEM
-2 :  No 61-key
-3:   DRUM EDITOR missing external samples importing
-4:   No DRUM EDITOR in song creator.

I am vaiting for OS update but Generally I am very happy with my GENOS

Regards
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:05:01 PM by metcam »
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline ton37

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
Hi Will49, to my opinion you made a fair summary. Certainly there will be some difference amongst the home-players and the gig-players. For me, as a homeplayer, the T5 is a fantastic instrument. Maybe, maybe .. once the Genos 2 is on the market, then it will be early enough to reconsider things. But in the coming 3/4 years I wil enjoy what I have. And the Genos-owners will enjoy their keyboards. And the Tyros 1,2,3,4 will enjoy theirs, as the PSR's do like theirs. So: everybody is a happy keyboardist  ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:23:14 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Rogthedodge

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2018, 11:24:54 PM »
I’ve had a Tyros 2,4,5 & Genos. Tyros 5-10 points, Genos 7 points. Genos gone now back to Tyros 5 it suits me better for a variety of reasons

Nunnus

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
a big 5 (as a neutral point)

Genos is better on sound quality, but I miss many feature from T5, and the OS problems on genos are a big problem....

if the new firmware, solve all the problems it became from 5 to 10...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:50:39 PM by Nunnus »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
Hi
Sound quality and Sys Ex compatibility is 100%

Get a pair of quality speakers £1000 Yamaha DXR 8's and you get concert level quality
A little fan noise from speakers , but as soon as you play that disappears into the sunset.
If you do mixing , get a pair of studio monitors.
I reckon the outlay will save you pounds In the long run of changing those tin pot Genos speakers everytime a new model comes out.
I had a hum issue with these speakers as they are over the top In wattage, but as the amps are quality ,the low volume is unbelievable.Just a matter of fine tuning.
To get rid of that hum a basic Behringer hum destroyer from Amazon got rid of that  completely.
Connecting speakers like these require Instrument cables from Genos to Behringer hum destroyer and speaker cables from there to speakers.
I think computers cause a ground loop with music gear.
Now I have had the experience of this quality and the help of others which I appreciate this is the way to go for massive quality.
So with what I have said ,go for it ,you will not look back.

all the best
John

Ps The worse thing for me Is finding your way around a new keyboard  as a lot of things are in different places and terminology.
At last the SYS EX messages are compatible and all sliders and knobs can be used on soft synths In your daw. It Is just a matter of  pressing midi learn and the sliders and knobs are yours to use as control.
Still learning.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:33:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 11:57:41 PM »
John, you can get rid of the ground loop computer hum very easily by merely purchasing an inexpensive Ground Defeater Plug at any hardware store. Worked perfectly for me.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »
Well I must be in a minority here because I use my Genos speakers for my home use and find them very good. With adjustment to EQ's and Compressor have a sound that suits me very well. Of course when gigging I use a separate mixer and larger speakers but far to much for at home.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
Well I must be in a minority here because I use my Genos speakers for my home use and find them very good. With adjustment to EQ's and Compressor have a sound that suits me very well. Of course when gigging I use a separate mixer and larger speakers but far to much for at home.

I put mine back in their box in the attic. Using a pair of near field studio monitors is the way, albeit expensive, to go. The sound improves drastically.