Author Topic: Is Genos safe from a virus  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Oldden

Is Genos safe from a virus
« on: December 30, 2017, 02:06:58 PM »
Hi,
Just wondering, is the operating system on the Genos virus proof. It connects to your network and computer at times so is there any chance of someone, somewhere writing a virus.

Oldden

Offline zionip

Re: Is Genos safe from a virus
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
Hi Oldden,

Good question, and best to be answered by Yamaha customer support.

The following is my speculation based on computer common sense:

The firmware of Genos is variant of Linux operation system, but it is read-only after firmware upgrade process, so it does not get infected by a virus.

However, the 58-GB User storage space is vulnerable to virus attack through WiFi, USB storage mode connection, and USB flash drives if someone deliberately writes viruses to attack this arranger.

Have you found any examples of virus attacks on Tyros or PSR-S arrangers yet?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Oldden

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
Hi Paul,
No I've never seen a virus attack on any keyboard. I might be wrong but is the Genos the first Linux based machine. It would be a disaster if a ransome ware attack took place and locked people out.

I know ransome ware is spelt wrong but me and my spellchecker have different ideas.
Oldden

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Hi Oldden,

The WiFi connection on Genos, through infrastructure mode, or Access Point mode, is currently only for YEM connection to install expansion packs, network time, and Songbook+.

If our computers have up-to-date antivirus and malware protection, and we only use our own USB flash drives with files copied from our protected computers, then the risk of getting ransomeware attack on Genos is very low.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
Hi Oldden and Paul --

Motif XS and later synths in the series are Linux-based. Probably Montage, too.

I think a malicious person would have a difficult time infecting a Genos. Most infection schemes need a way to execute malicious code. The Genos OS is a (relatively) closed system -- no way to execute a script or program from a USB drive, for example. A Wi-fi attack would need to find a backdoor into the OS (i.e., a way to either remotely log in to the OS or to remotely execute code). If there is a debugging backdoor -- and we don't know if such a thing exists! -- hopefully it is protected by something other than a default password.  ;)

Probably the OS and data are most vulnerable during an update.

If someone was a criminal cyber cracker, there are easier ways to extort or steal money, unfortunately. Plenty of personal computers, servers and mobile phones to keep them busy, especially ones "protected" with passwords like "letmein", "password", or "12345678".

My first real job was in OS security. Other things keep me awake at night, not keyboard viruses.

Hope this allays any concerns -- pj
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:50:43 PM by pjd »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
I have never heard of any keyboard getting a virus. Although the operating systems are computer like they are not computers as we know them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:24:39 PM »
My Anti virus sotware scans the USB thoroughly every time I connect it to the Computer, as well as the Computer itself everyday. I use Eset Smart Security and Malwarebyte Anti malware, for both my phone and PC.
So maybe scanning the USB drive now and then might not be a bad idea.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
Hi,
Just wondering, is the operating system on the Genos virus proof. It connects to your network and computer at times so is there any chance of someone, somewhere writing a virus.

Oldden

Nothing is virus proof.   However, IMO probabilities of a Genos virus attack are extremely low.   I would not worry about it.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline digriz67

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
The likelihood of a virus spreading on an arranger keyboard is low because the potential payoff is low: the virus needs to be developed specifically for the device it is intended to run on, because the vulnerabilities of a device are specific to that software implementation. The total number of Genos sold will certainly be less than even IOT devices like lights, controllers, etc., and for sure computers; so there is a good chance that virus writers will target other devices and leave our good Genos alone.

Having said that, any system has vulnerabilities. If someone really wanted to take control of a Genos, it is likely that they could do that with some serious study and a pinch of luck. At times, like for example when the OS is being updated, the memory space is going to be writeable and thus a virus/ransomware/worm/malware could sneak past security.

At any rate, it pays off to keep regular backups of your work and of your USB keys. The norm has become to have at least three copies of your work: one on the machine, a second copy on a separate local drive, and a third one located somewhere else (a friend, relative, the cloud, etc.). I have kept only two and feel satisfied with that strategy. If disaster strikes, we can at least have our work back.

My 2c of course.

Best,
Luigi
PSR 950; Genos