Author Topic: Bar # on Home screen ? - Genos  (Read 14391 times)

Offline Al Ram

Bar # on Home screen ? - Genos
« on: December 29, 2017, 02:35:36 AM »
Hello Friends.

I have read the Genos user manual entirely and could not find the answer.

Does anyone happen to know or have a suggestion . . . .  .

When loading a registration and playing, i can see tempo, name of style, name of multipad, etc.

I was not able to see 'transpose' but just managed to assign it to home menu and can see it now for every registration. 

However, i do not see bar #.    I noticed that you can see the bar number when selecting 'Lyrics' but i do not use the Lyrics screen on the Genos and would like to see the bar number on the home screen when a registration is loaded.

When searching the PDF Genos user manual for Bar or Measure it comes up only in the midis chapter, but i do not play with midis.

any suggestions . . .  ?

thanks in advance. 

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

Re: Bar # on Home screen ? - Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Al,

Currently at Genos firmware 1.10, there is no bar counter on the main screen.  This is a software bug.

This subject was discussed thoroughly in this forum:
http://www.yamahakeyboardplayers.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=6560&hilit=bar+counter

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
Thanks Paul.

Hopefully, it will be fixed in future firmware releases.   It is a very useful (to me at least) feature.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Genos is a great keyboard.   However, Yamaha totally missed the boat on this one.   !!!!!

Tyros 5 has a Bar and Beat counter.  Genos does not.  It only shows the beats with color lights and does not show the bar counter at all.

The beat counter is not that big of a deal. However, the bar counter is sort of a big deal for people that play for dancers.  If you play Salsa styles for example.

I can see that subject was discussed in other forum(s) (link below provided by Paul) and the complaints are mostly from people that play for dancers . . . 

http://www.yamahakeyboardplayers.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=6560&hilit=bar+counter

Beat counter was also helpful when playing styles other than 4/4.   In fact, someone on this forum took the trouble to convert all 6/8 Tyros styles to correctly display the beat count from 1 to 6 instead of 1 to 4 (for Tyros). 

This is a setback.

Anyway, will have to improvise a solution.

thanks a lot.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
I have found a tested workaround that can display bar counter in Genos when playing from a registration. 

It sounds complicated but it is not.  It is actually very easy.  (well maybe the second time is easier).

1. Create a small and empty midi file and name it the same as your registration.
2. Load the midi file to your Genos registration and save it.
3. Retrieve saved Genos registration load it
4. Switch to Menu/Lyrics tab in Genos
5. Start playing
6. Bar counter will show in the Lyrics tab (bottom left) and count as you play. 

You can bring the Lyrics tab and make it a fixed window in your Home screen.
So, when playing all you have to do is load your registration, press Lyrics and start playing.

Of course the Lyrics tab will be empty unless you pre-loaded the lyrics, but the bar counter will be active and counting. 

This is kind of important for some people playing for certain dancers.   So, if bar counter is a must, this is a tested workaround.

Hope this helps.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline StuartR

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:47:50 AM »
Thanks Paul.

Hopefully, it will be fixed in future firmware releases.   It is a very useful (to me at least) feature.

thanks

How about the display of the current style chord you are playing as the Tyros 5 did? I don't remember seeing that either.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »
Stuart

Afirmative. Genos shows the chord you are playing (it is on the main screen).

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 04:35:22 AM »
How about the display of the current style chord you are playing as the Tyros 5 did? I don't remember seeing that either.

Hi Stuart,

It is there:

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline valimaties

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
Hi Al...

It is a workaround, but is useless, because most of us have to see Voice Panel or other screens, in front of us.

For me, at least, is not an acceptable workaround. I cannot live with it :D

Regards!

Edited: I wrote useful not useless... sorry, my bad english ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:01:45 AM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
Hi Al...

It is a workaround, but is useful, because most of us have to see Voice Panel or other screens, in front of us.

For me, at least, is not an acceptable workaround. I cannot live with it :D

Regards!

Should be a simple software fix. I agree that it needs fixing.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 11:05:17 AM »
Should be a simple software fix. I agree that it needs fixing.

I wrote USEFUL, but I should have wrote USELESS ;D
My bad english ;D ;D I edited my last post ...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
I wrote USEFUL, but I should have wrote USELESS ;D
My bad english ;D ;D I edited my last post ...

Kudos to you and a lot of others on this forum for being able to speak multiple languages! Some of us Americans struggle with just one. 👍😀

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:50:07 AM »
Hi Stuart,

It is there:

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Stuart, this is a little off topic. You seem to know your way with putting photos on posts which I do not (my avatar is horrible) 

The photo you posted shows we have become id..ts confounding what can be done with what needs to be done, what is useful and what is useless. What helps and what does not. Just like the silly documents flying from one folder to the other on - was it VISTA when copying .   I do not need my family as a background on my PC W 7 desktop,  I use my PC for serious work, and I do not need these in MHO silly large  blurry instrument pictures on my keyboard.  But then again I need a lot of icons on my PC and a lot of icons on my keyboard for easy navigation and indication.  Already with Tyros 5 YAMAHA did away with a lot of excellent icons and I had hoped they would be back on Genos.  Unfortunately they are not. Does anyone know a way to get those earlier icons back ?  I presume I am not the only one missing them.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
Hi Stuart, this is a little off topic. You seem to know your way with putting photos on posts which I do not (my avatar is horrible) 

The photo you posted shows we have become id..ts confounding what can be done with what needs to be done, what is useful and what is useless. What helps and what does not. Just like the silly documents flying from one folder to the other on - was it VISTA when copying .   I do not need my family as a background on my PC W 7 desktop,  I use my PC for serious work, and I do not need these in MHO silly large  blurry instrument pictures on my keyboard.  But then again I need a lot of icons on my PC and a lot of icons on my keyboard for easy navigation and indication.  Already with Tyros 5 YAMAHA did away with a lot of excellent icons and I had hoped they would be back on Genos.  Unfortunately they are not. Does anyone know a way to get those earlier icons back ?  I presume I am not the only one missing them.

Cheers

Kaarlo

1. Stuart didn't posts picture, Paul did (zionip) ;)
2. What icons do you talk about?! Be more precise!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 11:37:10 PM »
1. Stuart didn't posts picture, Paul did (zionip) ;)
2. What icons do you talk about?! Be more precise!

Regards,
Vali

Sorry Vali, if i made a mistake. It is by no means  a rare  occurrence :(

As to the icons, I mean the icons you put on registrations, voices  you have tweaked and midi files  you have saved in different versions  f.i. to suit different vocalists you may be working with.  If the transpose is minimal you will not have to alter instruments, but if the transpose is substantial I often change the instruments.  I have transferred a lot of midi files  from earlier models to the Genos and often the original icon that is no more on Genos does show up. I know nothing about software, but that would seem to me the icons are not saved like a scanned picture but as bytes  out of which information Genos then is able to put together the icon which it does not have on the page where you choose icons. And in case that is so it should be easy to memorize that info and have the old icons available.  It seems software developers get fed up with their own creations. There were a lot of icons on earlier Windows versions which are no more on the page where you select icons in W 7. Exactly as with keyboards.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
My dealer updated my Genos to v1.30 for me before handing it over. There does appear to be a bar counter on my  home screen to the left of the tempo indicator although it’s not labelled as such. It automatically returns to zero when you end playing.

Hope I’m right.

Kind regards

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 01:14:32 AM »
Yes.   The OS update added the bar counter. 

There was no bar counter when Genos was first released.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana