Author Topic: A Question for Zionip  (Read 11969 times)

Antonio

A Question for Zionip
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Hi Zionip

I have 2 question to you

1) How can I view the genos display on a larger monitor?

2) Which hard disks Letter are associated with Genos internal hard disk, USB1 and USB2 ???

Regards
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:06:46 PM by Antonio »

Offline zionip

Re: A Question for Zionip
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
Hi Antonio,

Thanks for asking.

1) How can I view the genos display on a larger monitor?
Answer: 

You will need to buy a USB 2.0 display adapter and a 15.6-inch to 27-inch LCD/LED monitor that supports a good scaling of 800x600 resolution.  I tested a 21.5-inch Dell S2240T Touchscreen LED-lit Monitor, and a 24-inch LG 24MP88HV-S 24-Inch IPS Monitor - both work well with Genos' display output of 800x480.  I use 2-inch self-adhesive Velco patches between the bottom edge of the monitor and the Genos built-in music stand for a stable and reliable placement.

BTW, Genos current firmware 1.10 does not support touch functionality for external touchscreen monitors, you still have to touch the Genos built-in 9-inch touchscreen.

You can purchase a USB 2.0 to VGA, or a USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI display adapter based on DisplayLink DL-165 or DL-195 chipset.  You can find my comments on the tested working ones on the published Yamaha list of USB 2.0 display adapters mentioned here:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40970.msg322348.html#msg322348

2) Which hard disks are associated with Genos internal hard disk, USB1 and USB2 ?
Answer:  Internal hard disk:  User - the 58 GB built-in SSD of Genos

The answer for USB1, USB2 etc. is very confusing but basically:
              USB1:  The first USB disk assigned by the Genos Linux OS (firmware)             
              USB2:  The second USB disk assigned by the Genos Linux OS (firmware)

If you power Genos on with no USB sticks, then the first USB stick you plug in is USB1, the second USB stick you plug in is USB2, the third USB stick you plug in is USB3, and so on.  I tested up to 4 USB sticks by using a USB 2.0 hub at the back of Genos.

If you plug in 3 USB sticks to all the USB ports of Genos simultaneously before powering Genos up, my tests indicated that when the Genos is powered up:
USB1:  USB stick connected to the rear USB port of Genos.
USB2:  USB stick connected to the underneath USB port of Genos.
USB3:  USB stick connected to the front USB port of Genos.

I use very inexpensive US$70 PNY Turbo 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drives.

I suffered enough from the USB disk assignment confusion, so I make sure to remove all the USB sticks connected to the USB port underneath and the back of Genos.  I now only use one USB stick that is connected to the front USB port of Genos as a 'guaranteed' USB1 to make the playlists work correctly, the convenience of doing screen captures, backups etc.

I hope the above addressed your need.  If you want more in-depth information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

Antonio

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
I really appreciated your answer, and I confirm that the Usb port is not classifiable, if you have done an operation like the conversion of the Music Finder
if you change the USB stick, the references / links are no longer valid, for now I use a lot the USER and a USV Stick support.

I'm doing experiments and I noticed that on the User some folders are not visible, even if I do not think they have hidden attributes.

Also it happened to me that copying on the HD (user) from a USB for example the Playlist / Registration converted, to my surprise a couple of Playliste files appeared 2 Folders even with the individual registration of the playlist file. (150 registration single)!!!!!!

Having 50 playlists I would like at this point to have 50 folders with singles
registration. Do you find this thing?

Obviously I thank you for your availability and competence.

Regards
Antonio

Antonio

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »
Surprise all the folders have turned into Playlist Filesand 51 folders with approx. 3420 single registration !!!!!

As I did I do not know. But I'm very happy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Note: in pc can all see, but GENOS he does not let me see anything

Yet the folders are not HIDDEN.

THIS OPERATING SYSTEM OF GENOS, IS VERY CAPRICIOUS
AND FOR NOTHING IDIOT FRIENDLY

AUGH

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:16:28 AM by Antonio »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 10:19:15 PM »
this is very useful information.

thanks a lot.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
Hi Antonio,

I am glad you are happy with the Playlist conversion.

Your personal computer is a general purpose computing machine designed for you to access the all data that you created and stored.  You can therefore browse the non-system-protected folders and files using a file manager like Windows Explorer on Windows, or Finder on Mac, and commands through command prompt / terminal.

Genos firmware masks file access according to the particular file access paths you choose.  Therefore, you may not be able to see all the files at once.

Examples:

Playlist button:
Shows and allows access of MFD (music finder) and TSV (playlist) files.

Style button:
Shows and allows access of STY, PRS etc. style files.

Registration - and + button pressed simultaneously:
Shows and allows access of RGT, REG (registration) files.

Song button:
Shows and allows access of audio and midi files, typically WAV, MP3, MID files.

On screen Voice button:
Shows and allows access of NLV (default Genos user voice), VCE etc. files.

For more details of all the file extensions implemented on Yamaha arrangers, please refer to Jørgen's Yamaha File Extensions page:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/software_12.htm

By the way, I am just an owner of Genos, I do not work for Yamaha.  :)

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:42:21 PM by zionip »

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »
Hi,

Just a tip that might work for you lot as well. Since my eyesight is almost non-existent and Since I usually have a huge problem with modern monitors, perhaps you coud consider buying a HD-ready tv LCD/LED. Usually they are much cheaper and with a native resoltuion of 1360x768 these scale pretty wel for my T5 and I suppose also for a Genos. They have a nice remote control on top of that making it easy to switch between pc/tv/yamaha keyboard and have quite a lot of connection options unlike some cheaper PC monitors. Since the size is relatively small for a TV the price is "small"as well.

just a thought,
Peter

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »
Hi Peter,

That is an excellent recommendation from you.

As long as the scaling of the 800x480 resolution on the TV is full screen, not just part of the screen, the TV should be fine as a more economical external display option for Genos.  The TV remote is definitely convenient for switching between VGA and HDMI.  However, going this route, we will not be able to enjoy the convenience of the touch functionality of the Windows 10 device on the external touchscreen monitor.

Now I am not satisfied with just an external monitor.  A separate PC is sort of tedious in connections.  I lean toward using an all-in-one Windows 10 touchscreen device with large screen and HDMI input, to handle both the USB 2.0 to VGA output of Genos, and the use of programs like YEM, YRM, StyleFinder, PSR Style Database, Jørgen's various Yamaha keyboard software etc. right on the music stand of Genos, and a gooseneck tablet mount to hold an iPad Pro 12.9 close to my eyes as a music score reader for SongBook+:

I am still waiting for the release of a suitable Windows 10 touchscreen device to complete my Genos external display configuration.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:29:51 PM by zionip »

Offline Oldden

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »
Hi,
Yamaha make a couple of keyboard apps for the touch screen on a iPad at the moment. A digital piano controller, a page turner and I think at least one more. Perhaps it will not be too long before something is developed for the Genos. A large screen iPad to control the keyboard would suit many I think, me included.
Oldden

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »
True Paul,

IF external touchscreens will be supported, but as long as they aren't the TV (it works full screen and is sharp btw) is perhaps the best in-between option due to it's low price. And you get a spare tv on top of that ;) If Yam,aha starts suporting external touch screens (like on the latest CSP piano's) you would at least not have spent that much extra while waiting for them to kick in. ;)

regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:14:39 PM by XeeniX »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 11:20:21 PM »
...  a gooseneck tablet mount to hold an iPad Pro 12.9 close to my eyes as a music score reader for SongBook+:

I am still waiting for the release of a suitable Windows 10 touchscreen device to complete my Genos external display configuration.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul

what is the model of the gooseneck mount for the iPad pro 12.9 that you have ? i see from the picture that you mount that to the keyboard stand . . . ?

FYI
I have an HP Pro X2 W10 two-in-one computer. It is a full computer, but it easily detaches from the keyboard and becomes a full tablet.   The screen is touch and the screen is similar in size to the iPad Pro, maybe even a bit larger.

I was using this one before with the OpenText program connected to my T5 with printer cable to display my PDF's as an alternative to iPad and SongBoook+.  Very handy.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
what is the model of the gooseneck mount for the iPad pro 12.9 that you have ? i see from the picture that you mount that to the keyboard stand . . . ?

This is the Bestek 2-in-1 Upgraded Gooseneck tablet holder mount for iPad Pro 12.9 that is mounted directly on to any keyboard stand or table (up to 40mm thick) - it puts the iPad Pro 12.9 right in front of your face, solving the viewing distance problem, with 4 cable management clips to help fixing the iPad Pro Lightning charging cable to the gooseneck, without the need for any floor space:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9KQSF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,
Paul

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:44:44 AM by zionip »

Offline Oldden

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »
Hi,
Imagine if the Genos and the iPad did not just  mirror each other. Make a selection of voice or style for example on the Genos and the iPad shows all the adjustments instantly, ready to change. No more delving in and out of sub menus. Then imagine doing it in real time when playing, controlling all the things that the sliders and knobs can't do. There must be many more options beyond my imagination, it would be a god unique selling point for Yamaha. All we need is someone to work out how to do the app.
Oldden

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
thanks Paul.

that looks like a good device to hold the ipad.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
This is the Bestek 2-in-1 Upgraded Gooseneck tablet holder mount for iPad Pro 12.9 that is mounted directly on to any keyboard stand or table (up to 40mm thick) - it puts the iPad Pro 12.9 right in front of your face, solving the viewing distance problem, with 4 cable management clips to help fixing the iPad Pro Lightning charging cable to the gooseneck, without the need for any floor space:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9KQSF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul.

There are movements on that holder?
How ample are movements?
I want to know how stable it is!
Can you make a little movie on pressing on the touch of the tablet?!

Thank you!

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
Hi Paul.

How ample are movements?

Thank you!

Hi Vali,

You can browse the following page to see 7 photos of this product with lots of details of measurement:

The mount is clamped on to my Yamaha L7B keyboard stand directly, and I connected the gooseneck to the horizontal connection position of the 2-way mounting clamp to offset a couple of inches blocked by the keyboard.  The length of the gooseneck is about 20 inches, or 50cm, which I think is long enough to put the iPad Pro 12.9 almost next to my face.

The gooseneck is very sturdy and tight, but there is a tiny bit of flex at the rotatable, slightly triangular shaped tablet holder.   The gooseneck can be adjusted left and right, up and down, and the tablet holder can be rotated 360° quite easily but sturdily.  When the iPad Pro 12.9 is touched, there is some slightly perceivable up-and-down bouncing movement, but the movement is so little that it does not cause any viewing problem.  This tablet holder remains very stable when the Genos is being played. 

This product ships with 2 tablet holders.  One of them is specifically designed to hold the iPad Pro 12.9 without any clamp obstruction to the screen, which is the cleanest design I have found to hold the iPad Pro 12.9 securely.  The second one is a expandable clamp for smaller tablets with 7-10.5 inch screens.  Both tablet holders are made of plastic.

I do not have time to make a video yet.  When I do, I will post the link.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline zionip

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 05:17:28 AM »
Hi Paul.

How ample are movements?

Thank you!

Hi Vali,

Here is a short video demonstrating how to put an iPad Pro 12.9 on to the Bestek 2-in-1 Upgraded Gooseneck Tablet Holder Mount clamped to the back of a Yamaha L-7B keyboard stand supporting a Genos:
https://youtu.be/qTGMm_IUMFk

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 06:33:36 AM »
Paul

Nice video, nice setup. 

I was getting ready to order the Bestek 2-in-1 Upgraded Gooseneck Tablet Holder.

But i just realized that my keyboard stand is an X type.   So, not sure how this would attach to it underneath the keyboard.    Will think about it more.

thanks a lot for all you do to assist others.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »
Hi Al,

Which brand name and model number is your X type keyboard stand?

Do you play your Genos only at home?  If so, the following could be a practical solution for you:

You can place a piece of cheap 48-inch x 20-inch x 1-inch plywood board between the X keyboard stand and the Genos and clamp the Bestek 2-in-1 upgraded gooseneck tablet holder on the plywood board.  The length of the plywood board allows multiple clamp mount positions for your future needs too.

Thanks,
Paul

Antonio

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
Hello Zionip

Yes, I only use it at home and it's his L7B stand of yamaha.

But on the ipad with 256 GB of memory how many scores I can upload in pdf format?

Thanks
Antonio

Antonio

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 03:08:25 PM »
Hi to all,

After a month of tests and counter-tests, I have come to the conclusion that the operating system of Genos is not yet reliable.

Too much confusion in correctly recognizing the various connected devices.

Too much confusion about the transfer of data from one device to another and in the correctness of the recognition of the contents.

Many questions about the USER, what is it for? for now almost nothing.

For the moment the best results are obtained with only one USB, and only with that one.
Copying to another USB does not recognize links created on the previous one.

The bailouts are not very safe and it is hard to figure out how to build a structure
reading and writing rescues.

In my opinion, if a robust firmware upgrade does not arrive, we will have to do very little.

Offline zionip

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
Hello Zionip

Yes, I only use it at home and it's his L7B stand of yamaha.

But on the ipad with 256 GB of memory how many scores I can upload in pdf format?

Thanks
Antonio

Hi Antonio,

L-7B keyboard stand is perfect for the mounting of the Bestek 2-in-1 upgraded gooseneck tablet mount.

I downloaded the 6,230-songs Wikifonia By Songnames from Synthzone site and batch converted the MXL files to PDF files:
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/384909/1

The converted 6,230 lead sheet PDFs only occupies about 202 MB, not even 1 GB.  For 200 GB of storage space, you can store probably about 6 million PDFs.

Thanks,
Paul

Reg

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
  Hi Paul:  I am curious to know how long the gooseneck is for the Ipad holder.  Reg

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Paul,
thanks a lot for taking the time.

I have two keyboard stands.   One for home, it is a dual keyboard stand, where i currently have the Genos and a Tyros 5.

The other keyboard stand is an X that i use for gigs not at home.   It is a generic X keyboard stand.   I do not have it in front of me right now but will look it up tonight when i get back home.

I am looking for the gooseneck solution for playing gigs (not at home) using the X stand.  I currently have the iPad attached to a microphone stand but if I could have the gooseneck holder it is smaller to carry.

thanks and have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline zionip

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »
  Hi Paul:  I am curious to know how long the gooseneck is for the Ipad holder.  Reg

Hi Reg,

The length of the gooseneck is about 20 inches, or 50cm.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline zionip

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 11:19:50 PM »
The other keyboard stand is an X that i use for gigs not at home.   It is a generic X keyboard stand.   I do not have it in front of me right now but will look it up tonight when i get back home.

I am looking for the gooseneck solution for playing gigs (not at home) using the X stand.  I currently have the iPad attached to a microphone stand but if I could have the gooseneck holder it is smaller to carry.

Hi Al,

The Gator Frameworks Keyboard and Audio GFW-UTILITY-TBL Utility Table (can be folded totally flat) seems to be the best keyboard stand that makes mounting the tablet holder simple and easy:
https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Frameworks-Keyboard-GFW-UTILITY-TBL-Utility/dp/B00BMUCRRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514589774&sr=8-1&keywords=Gator+Frameworks+GFW-UTILITY-TBL+Heavy-duty+Keyboard+Table

The gooseneck tablet holder is definitely floor space saving and easy to carry, with a suitable/matching keyboard stand.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 12:38:46 AM »
Paul
thanks a lot for your research.

That table looks good.   I think that i could probably use the gooseneck holder on my current X stand.  I have seen the pics of the gooseneck and it looks like the end that attaches to the stand, can be twisted/moved in different positions.   It also seems that the gooseneck is flexible and can curve around . . . ..

I like my X stand because it is not that heavy and folds/unfolds very easily. 

I am also considering this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Device-Holder-and-Screen-Protector-for-yamaha-GENOS-Keyboard/202149225601?hash=item2f11086481:g:qiMAAOSwI8laM-Pb

i can probably attach this one to my current iPad holder. Then it seems to go into 2 of the Genos holes (8) for reading stand or speakers.   

I hope you are having a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Reg

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
Thank you for your reply re the gooseneck length  Paul.  Reg

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
Here’s what I use, it’s a very low cost option. I connect this to a standard mic stand, you can bring the tablet as close to you as you like and as high or as low as you like.  I find this to be a perfect solution for gigs because I can keep the tablet at a low profile yet close enough where it is very visible.  Altough a side view is shown the tablet holder can be rotated so that the mic stand is behind the tablet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-u-mount-clamp-on-bookplate/j20526000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2KmWSh51Xp327WCY7DjuuvcYVRf4YJfb_0dkIke2pI92jYMFjlazcBoCRfoQAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E221966733748-device%5Et-plaid%5E323968430863-sku%5EJ20526000000000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA

GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks