Author Topic: Extremely Disappointed with Genos  (Read 95173 times)

Offline markstyles

Re: Extremely Disappointed with Genos
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2018, 10:56:06 PM »
Having been working with the Genos a good amount more; I am discovering aspects I like and things I question..

I think a big issue is,  is the Genos trying to be too many things to different people?  Personally I  hate all the EDM stuff.  Now a musician 30 years younger than me, will love it.. Problem, for most EDM kids, the keyboards and workstations, are cheaper..  And if some one who would be into hiphop, EDM music will have little to absolutely no use to the older polkas, marches, and other old world, old school, sounds and patches. To me, the Tyros contained 90% styles, instruments, I could find some use for. The Genos comes in at 65% for me..

Of course Technology always marches forward, so some musicians can't afford to get left upstream.. So there is a pressure to keep up..  I did not appreciate the Genos teaser ads, which looked more like they were a perfume ad, than actually show exactly what it would and would not do to fancy looking with no real 'meat' in the ad. The new designer bragging about how much research he did has to me ADD.  The instrument is just too eclectic with no real depth in any one area. 

I'm not sure if it's something I haven't discovered yet, but when I change a patch, all arpeggio info disappears. perhaps I need to create registrations, so I don't loose continuity (just thought of that)

Several Accordians just too much out of tune to be of use to me.. I thought I would love the TouchScreen, (I have other kids with them, and always liked them), instead I find it aggravating to have to go levels in to get to the command I want, instead of instantly with the Tyros  I have USB sticks, with a substantial amount of styles. If I pick a style, nested two folders in.. Once I exit that folder, If I haven't written down the path, instead of leaving the last open folder highlighted, it becomes blank, making it a tedious task to find that particular style again.

At 69 years of age, maybe I am just losing touch.. In reality, I have been moving away from 'arranger' music..  I am much more in creating independent music lines, with more instruments, so I am becoming less of a 'kbd arranger' kbd.  Although I still find them invaluable as a compositional tool.  Compositional DAW applications for the most part, can't even get near what Tyros, and Genes can do.

So yes, Yamaha is trying to reach a younger fan base, so us oldsters are dying off, or being priced out of the buying market..

I wished I could have done more research on Genes, before I bought it, I might  have not.. Of course because of its price, no store in NYC will put one on sales floor. You have to buy it site/sound unseen.   I was forced to buy Tyros 3 - 5 that way, but each version moved in exactly the the direction I was very interested in.

There is NOTHING WRONG with Genos, it's just on closer examination. it is not exactly the instrument I was hoping it would be..  I also hate they fact they decided that brighter and tinnier sound over soaked in reverb (to sound more like the compettion) is the opposite of what I

Lest people think I am just old, grumpy, and angry, (which I am sometimes) I have sent off a few emails, to the developers.. Of course I am only one user, and probably not the kind of user, Yamaha is particularly anxious to hold on to.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

whataguy

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:34 AM »
Is it safe to assume that you fellas would dump your Genos to get a T5 again? Weeeellllll, I got a T5, stand, speakers and about a million styles (probably some y'alls too) on flash drives. Plus there are very very few bad notes left as I have used them all up. How many $ plus my T5 would it take to make us all happy. I can't play worth a **** and would enjoy not being able to play worth  a **** with a Genos. I'm so much of a music snob I would love to be able to say 'I have the latest and I can't even play, so there'.  Trade ya! Don in MI

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:55 AM »
Don, now there's a challenge for the regretful Genos owners who sold their T5.

Oh, and yes, I love my Genos.

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

whataguy

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:19 AM »
Hi, not only do I envy you having a Genos, WARM weather, and that list of instruments (are they haves or have hads?) you list, you have the AUSTRALIAN OPEN going on. I love playing tennis as much as playing kbds even though I suck at both. Being old is no excuse, I sucked at both when I was 50-60 years younger. Isn't being alive fun? Don in MI

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2018, 03:01:37 AM »
Having been a faithful Tyros owner (3 of them), I have never heard so much negative publicity about a Yamaha successor keyboard! Is it possible Yamaha hired some idiots from Microsoft, and those idiots were turned loose inside Yamaha and soured the milk? Microsoft has a gift for producing the world's worst crapola. Surely, Yamaha isn't following a broken corporate model.

Then again, perhaps Yamaha hired a whole bunch of new blood that have no idea what the **** they're doing. Sure, they can design and build a great keyboard, but have they totally lost their market focus? I can see phasing out the older players for new, but to drop us off the bridge in one instant is corporate suicide. The Tyros and PSR series were 80 percent musical instruments driven by 20 percent computer technology. It sounds to me like Genos is a 80 percent "broken computer" with 20 percent musicality. That’s an exaggeration, but one must wonder, “What went wrong?” This whole Genos thing has been one bumpy road after another since the pathetic release videos and now, huge numbers of software disappointments. Am I generalizing? Perhaps, but try telling that to the increasingly number of disappointed people who just blew thousands of their country's currency.

Wow, this is really mind boggling. All along, I've complained that we Canadians are last to receive this dream machine. Sounds like we're the lucky ones because the Genos, while sounding pretty good, in reality could be a nightmare. Did the value of my used Tyros 5 just increase 30 percent :)? Paint me skeptical about the Genos.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2018, 04:11:13 AM »
Adrian, unfortunately, when wearing a hearing aid, the keyboard will never sound a good as it did when your hearing was not impaired. Hearing aids set up for men tend to amplify high frequency sounds, mainly because that is the sound we, as males, tend to loose with aging and hearing damage from loud noises. Women tend to loose the low frequency sounds for the same reasons. My wife says God intended for this to happen so I can ignore her when she's backseat driving the car and she can ignore me for the same reasons. ;)

Many years ago, I purchased a hearing aid because I could not understand individual voices when I was in a crowd of people, many of whom were talking at the same time. The hearing aid solved that problem, but when I wore it while performing with my keyboard, it amplified the high sounds, and blocked out the mid and low frequency sounds. I stopped using it the following day and never looked back. My best advice: Buy some ear buds, then you can set the volume where it sounds best to you without any outside interference.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: JohnH

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »
Is it possible Yamaha hired some idiots from Microsoft, and those idiots were turned loose inside Yamaha and soured the milk? Microsoft has a gift for producing the world's worst crapola.
Why drag Microsoft in this discussion with unsubstantiated claims and a poor choice of words? Please, we're not 15 anymore...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:31:16 AM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

The following users thanked this post: Afton72

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »
.... Please, we're not 15 anymore...

As you grow older you will find that you may be young at heart ...... ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
Don in MI,
The "have hads" have been removed and the list is what I currently have.

I'm just in the process of purchasing a Cole Clark Fat Lady 3 acoustic guitar which will hopefully be the last purchase for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvBPrvW3b00

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

whataguy

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »
WOW!Up to now, Drake was 'DaMan' but you've passed him. As they say somewhere 'good on ya'. I envy the **** out of you as I struggle through what little I am able to accomplish on the T5. Maybe I should take up, uh, just listening. Don in MI

Offline Will49

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2018, 09:24:52 PM »
I think a big issue is, the Genos trying to be too many things to different people?  Personally I hate all the EDM stuff. 
So yes, Yamaha is trying to reach a younger fan base, so us oldsters are dying off,
At 69 years of age, maybe I am just losing touch..
That’s the exact feeling I got when I had the first ever glimpse of Genos in one of the first video demos - by Martin Harris, I think. When I saw that his left hand was more occupied on the sliders and knobs than it was actually playing the keys, I remember thinking: “Goodbye arrangers… welcome to synth land”! I turned 69 last week, so maybe I’m losing touch as well! :o

And as for this whole thread in general, I'm amazed at how much it's turned into a discussion about piano voices and speakers/PA systems etc., etc., especially as there was much more than that to DavidB's displeasure about the Genos in his opening post. I’m also surprised that I’m the only one to have complimented him on his choice of instrument (the Roland AT-800 organ) when he announcement (Reply #86) that he had just acquired such a magnificent instrument! Makes me think that those who come from an electronic organ background (like myself) are a bit thin on the ground here. Heck, am I THAT old? Hmm, like I said earlier, I was 69 last week so maybe that explains it then!!! ;D ;D

Regards,

Will
To David B: If you still pop in here from time to time, and if you come across this… I hope you are still very happy with the AT-800. And, even more importantly, hope that you are also continuing to respond well to your cancer treatment.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:26:58 PM by Will49 »

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, Will, I'm 65 soon and cut my teeth on a Lowery Holiday organ back in 1962 :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »
Wow! 69 - sue wish I were 69 again. I was in great physical condition then, good ogled by the ladies a lot, my hair was medium brown, and I was playing 7 days a week plus some night jobs to boot. Never thought those days would end, but at age 76, last year, I had to retire because of poor health issues. Yep, right now, 69 seems very young to me. ;)

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

DavidB

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
To David B: If you still pop in here from time to time, and if you come across this… I hope you are still very happy with the AT-800. And, even more importantly, hope that you are also continuing to respond well to your cancer treatment.

Thank you Will. My treatment starts for real tomorrow, so I guess it's the big day but I have to admit to being more than a little bothered by what side effects I might suffer. Still, a little discomfort to attempt to beat and evil disease will be worth it I hope.

As for the Atelier, I absolutely love it. It is totally focused on the kind of music I want to play and the sound quality, particularly of some of the SA voices (Yep, Roland have them too) is wonderful. I was playing it the other evening, and I suddenly realised I wasn't hitting as many bum notes on the Roland, when I remembered an article I read about how Roland stick to the tried, tested and proven 165mm per octave and Yamaha have reduced their keyboards to 160mm. It seems for my fat fingers, that 5mm makes all the difference.

Anyway, I don't want to bash the Yamaha's, if you're happy with yours then I really am delighted for you. Mine Genos is still for sale, and for me I made absolutely the right decision getting the Atelier.

Thanks again for asking after me Will,

David.

Offline pjd

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
My treatment starts for real tomorrow, ...

Good luck, David!

-- pj

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
David, Wishing you the best with your treatments, Godspeed!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Will49

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, Will, I'm 65 soon and cut my teeth on a Lowery Holiday organ back in 1962 :).
Hi Lee, Even though you’re a few years younger than me, having started in 1962, you are many years ahead of me in this game as I didn’t get into it until the early 70s. In those days, live organ music in pubs was quite popular, and the one I used to go to almost every Saturday night had a horseshoe Lowrey spinet… can’t remember which model it was though, but it certainly got me very interested!

Wow! 69 - sue wish I were 69 again. I was in great physical condition then, good ogled by the ladies a lot, my hair was medium brown, and I was playing 7 days a week plus some night jobs to boot. Never thought those days would end, but at age 76, last year, I had to retire because of poor health issues. Yep, right now, 69 seems very young to me. ;)

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Thanks Gary. So far, I also consider myself very fortunate to be in pretty good shape: Height 6ft 1in; Weight: 70.3 kg; BMI: 20.4; Restring HR: 48 (see link to a recent photo below). I walk (briskly) 40 to 45 miles per week, and one of my other hobbies is cycling (road, not MTB). According to one study on fit cyclists, it was found that several in the 55 to 79 age category who cycled regularly were physically and biologically much younger than most people of the same age – up to about 10 years younger in some cases! But unlike you when you were 69, I can’t say I’ve noticed being ogled by the opposite sex, ha-ha!! ;D ;D But those who meet me for the first time are usually quite surprised when I tell them my age… I also have a wife who is almost 12 years my junior! :)

But to steer back to keyboards and music. None of the above will make me appear any younger where my musical tastes are concerned, as it’s very much Ballroom, Country, light/gentle Jazz, Latin and anything of the ‘easy listening’ genre I’m afraid. I daresay, therefore, that I’m still a bit of a dinosaur to the youngsters who want tons of EDM/Techno and the like!
http://will49.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2714937939.jpg

Kind regards,
Will
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:23:01 PM by Will49 »

Offline Will49

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
Thank you Will. My treatment starts for real tomorrow, so I guess it's the big day but I have to admit to being more than a little bothered by what side effects I might suffer. Still, a little discomfort to attempt to beat and evil disease will be worth it I hope. Thanks again for asking after me Will
Hello David. No problem at all; I’ve often been wondering how things are with you. I wish you all the very best with your treatment, and hope that none of the possible side effects will be too troublesome!

I was very pleased to read that you are very happy with the Atelier. It’s a beautiful instrument; I’ve watched several YouTube videos of Hector Olivera on the Atelier organs… amazing stuff! All the best for now; please keep us posted.

Kind regards,
Will

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2018, 11:15:22 PM »
Hi David,

We have communicated by PM concerning the Genos and I did wish you well at that point. But I hope and pray that your treatment will be totally successful and that any side effects will be minimal.

As regards the Atelier, I am so pleased that you are enjoying it. It is my kind of instrument and I have a Yamaha AR100 which is of a similar ilk to your Atelier. I wish you many happy years playing it.

I played at a Bingo Hall (Regal, Darlaston) at weekends from 1973 to 1994 and enjoyed playing a Hammond C3 there. But, unfortunately, the demise of the home organ had begun by 1994.

I play the same genres of music as Will and some light Classical music and still prefer the organ to the keyboard and I really should play my AR100 more but poor health in the form of a mini stroke a couple of years ago. I am 76 and until then was quite active but I find it difficult to play for long periods without some discomfort afterwards.

As others have said, I hope you will drop in on these forums. I don’t think that you have to own a Yamaha or any other make of  instrument to be a member and you can be sure of a welcome from everyone.

Kindest regards

Trevor
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline Will49

« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »
I played at a Bingo Hall (Regal, Darlaston) at weekends from 1973 to 1994 and enjoyed playing a Hammond C3 there. But, unfortunately, the demise of the home organ had begun by 1994.
Hello Trevor, That was indeed a very sad time. I remember drooling over a Yamaha EL90 in a music store in Swindon when they first appeared here in the UK... must have been around 1991. Sadly though, I think its price tag was around £10,000… which was more than double the cost of the most expensive organ I've ever had (a Kawai DX-900) eight years earlier in 1983!

Physically, my current keyboard, the Tyros 5/76, is the largest I’ve ever owned (size and weight is if no consequence to me as a home player) but without an upper and lower manual, a bass pedalboard, and all housed in an elegant cabinet like your Yamaha AR-100 and DavidB’s Roland Atelier AT-800, it’s still a keyboard… NOT an organ! Having said that though, as keyboards go, it’s the best sounding one I’ve had to date - I love the Ensemble feature and, of course, the Organ World! And with its size and tit up screen etc., it’s certainly the most impressive looking one I’ve ever had as well. In fact, I’m not sure now where I might go from here because I’m afraid that the Genos does nothing at all to impress me in terms of looks when compared to a T5/76, so I don’t see me changing it any time soon! I apologise to all of you proud Genos owners out there for having said that… perhaps it’s just my rather old-fashioned way of looking at these things!

Kind regards,

Will
P.S. Sorry to see that you suffered a mini stroke a couple of years ago, Trevor, but it’s good to see that you are still able to play your keyboard and your AR-100... albeit for short periods at a time. I obviously don’t know exactly how the mini stroke has affected you, but perhaps regular intervals at the keyboard and the AT-100 might be beneficial by way of post-stroke physiotherapy? So try to stick at it as much as you can… unless your doctor tells you otherwise obviously!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:36:14 PM by Will49 »

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2018, 07:15:49 AM »

Everytime i read this topic title, it makes me wonder.

How can anyone be dissapointed by the Genos?
I just don't get it, i am having so much fun, and enjoying the sound so much.

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
I think, Yamaha praised Genos too much, so we expected too much.
Is the Genos an organ or not?
Well, the portable D-Deck type Electone organ hasn't a wooden cabinet, it is more like a Tyros/Genos with one more keyboard.
And in the 1970's there were much organs with one keyboard only in a suitcase.
I guess, that much organ users ignored the bass pedalboard, used auto bass and auto accomp instead, had a spinet organ with 2 x 44 keys - for these people a Genos/Tyros wouldn't be a disadvantage and if they dislike the look, they could buy a CVP arranger piano instead.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »

Agree. I've had several other arrangers, sold them all and bought two Genos arrangers, one for home and one for the studio. All around great keyboard.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »

PLUS ONE!  42 years ago I worked in sales for a Hammond Dealer, at the time the top of the line spinet organ was the Aurora........selling price $4500.   Fast forward to today it was in the price class of the Genos, but could not nearly come close to what Genos is capable of sounding like. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Will49

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
How can anyone be dissapointed by the Genos? I just don't get it...
Well, I think that question has already been answered. Some (including DavidB here in this very thread) have already given us their very explicit reasons why they feel Genos is not suited for their needs and/or tastes! I guess it's very much like the old saying goes: 'One man's meat is another man's poison'! I don't think there will ever be one keyboard (not even Genos following future updates) that will be everything to all people! 😉

Regards,
Will
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:48:23 PM by Will49 »

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

agoldstraw

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
I have a Yamaha CP4 stage piano, which has the CFX sample as its 'centrepiece'. I also have a Tyros 5, and have played the Genos extensively in store.

In some respects. one could categorise the CP4 as disappointing. There is no string resonance, pedal noise etc implemented and there is quite audible looping on the decay of each note. However, in live stage situations, these are the little details which often get buried anyway, so one could argue (and I suppose Yamaha would) that the points I raise are not as critical as they might first appear.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get over is that this is a board of some compromises. However, even within these parameters, I can tell you that neither the pianos on my T5 nor those on the Genos get CLOSE to the richness and complexity of the CP4's CFX voice. Sure, not having a lovely, properly weighted action to play them on doesn't help (the CP4's NW-GH keybed is probably the nicest stage piano action on the market right now) but the pianos on the Yamaha arranger series sounds like those on a digital piano from around five years back.

David, for what it's worth, if pianos are a real priority, I would sell the Genos and attempt to track down a recent, lightly used CVP. However, all the above pales into significance regarding your recent health news, and I am very glad there is room for positivity there.

keynote

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2018, 01:08:26 AM »
I'm not sure why some people think the Genos acoustic pianos are lacking in substance. The only reason I can think of is maybe their hearing is impaired - hearing aids do have a tendency to distort what it is you are listening to) or they haven't adjusted the EQ settings to a suitable preference. Listen to these Youtube demos and then tell me again why it is you dislike the CFX Concert Grand or perhaps one of the other acoustic pianos on the Genos??

Genos CFX Concert Grand Piano Demo

Genos C7 Grand Piano Demo

Genos CFX Concert Grand Piano

Genos - All Pianos, note... a few mistakes along the way ;D

Genos acoustic pianos including S.Art CFX Concert Grand Piano plus other Voices

PS: Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion but nobody is entitled to their own facts. No disrespect but the fact is the Genos acoustic pianos are perhaps the best of any arranger currently on the market and that includes the Korg Pa4x as well as the Ketron SD-9. Using a sustain pedal will also add more depth and realism too.  8)

Sincerely,

Mike

Offline StuartR

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:34 AM »
Wonderful playing, Mike.

The following users thanked this post: Dnj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2018, 06:36:21 AM »
That’s the exact feeling I got when I had the first ever glimpse of Genos in one of the first video demos - by Martin Harris, I think. When I saw that his left hand was more occupied on the sliders and knobs than it was actually playing the keys, I remember thinking: “Goodbye arrangers… welcome to synth land”! I turned 69 last week, so maybe I’m losing touch as well! :o

And as for this whole thread in general, I'm amazed at how much it's turned into a discussion about piano voices and speakers/PA systems etc., etc., especially as there was much more than that to DavidB's displeasure about the Genos in his opening post. I’m also surprised that I’m the only one to have complimented him on his choice of instrument (the Roland AT-800 organ) when he announcement (Reply #86) that he had just acquired such a magnificent instrument! Makes me think that those who come from an electronic organ background (like myself) are a bit thin on the ground here. Heck, am I THAT old? Hmm, like I said earlier, I was 69 last week so maybe that explains it then!!! ;D ;D

Regards,

Will

I'm 54, and I originally learned keyboard on home organs, starting in 1978.  This coming March 21 will be 40 years from my first lesson!  My first organ was a small Wurlitzer 375 -- It was a (relatively) low-cost spinet, but had a very neat feature -- a small, synth-like 3rd solo keyboard (it was even called an Orbit Synthesizer).  Then, later in the year, when it was clear I was interested in music and that it wasn't just a passing childhood fad, they got me a Yamaha D-80.  This also had a 3rd synth-type keyboard that even had portamento!

I sold the D-80 in 1985, and since then, I have made an organ-style cabinet and have mounted a variety of keyboards on it.  I currently use a Yamaha PSR-E433 as the main instrument, and have a lower-cost Casio 88-key weighted-key digital piano as the lower keyboard.  For the bass pedals, I bought a cheap set of 1-octave pedals back in 1985 when I originally started this type of set-up, but they kept going out of tune.  When the tuning potentiometer was as far as it could go and I still could not tune it, I gutted it, then hard-wired the bass pedals to the lower octave of a small Casio MT-68 mini keyboard, which I use to this day.  Everything goes through an inexpensive multi-channel mixer, then on to a set of JBL powered speakers and -- when I really want to risk an eviction notice -- a 100 watt Realistic amp hooked to a Cerwin Vega speaker with a 15 inch woofer!

As for Yamaha dropping consideration of their traditional arranger customers all at once, I would certainly hope that is not the case.  If they have people with over four grand laying around to spend on a keyboard, they had best do what they can to keep those customers happy as long as possible!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline gary3917

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
Why not just get an MP11 ? That is one **** of a set up Abby .you are awesome on youtube WOW !!!
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Seagull29

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »
Hi everybody,
As I said when it came out, although there has been some evolution in the sound, Genos is a scam in the sense that we have been told a revolution, whereas it is only an evolution certainly interesting of Tyros 5 of which it takes at least 90% of the characteristics. It is not the touch screen or the so-called live control which is used by a very little part of users , that justify such a price and such hype. Moreover, many have separated to go elsewhere, at least in France, on the side of Pa4X Korg which offers many more opportunities and especially regular updates, while at Yamaha, they are really few and bring nothing very new on the last model, as on the Tyros 5 besides when there was one!

Offline ton37

« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
Mmm, I wonder who you want to convince with your 'statement'? Yamaha…??? The Genos-owners certainly not! So what remains is … yourself??  :)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »
Interesting comment Seagull 29. I had a hard time understanding your post, likely due to poor translation software.

At any rate, your "scam" comment holds very little water because even months after its release, Yamaha still can't keep up with the demands for a Genos. I owned three Tyros keyboards and I can tell you, the Genos is a huge step forward in sound alone. The Tyros is still a legend, but Genos kills it hands down in most ways.

Just my two cents worth  ;).

Offline EileenL

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2018, 10:40:09 AM »
Hi Lee,
  I have to agree that Genos is great and hundreds of us are enjoying it. No scams here.

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline metcam

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »
Hi Lee,
  I have to agree that Genos is great and hundreds of us are enjoying it. No scams here.

Same here, the GENOS is great.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline Chris79

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
I also love my GENOS which is for me an infinite source of inspiration.

the controversy with the Korg PA 4X makes no sense. These are two extraordinary machines.

We may prefer the sound color of one or the other; as we would have a preference for a BMW or a MERCEDES.

Both are beautiful and serve musicians.

vadesriux

Extremely delighted with Genos
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
Just received my brand new Genos yesterday. Have gone through:

- Roland D-20 with floppy disk drive (remember 1990?)
- Yamaha Motif XS6 (Wow...)
- Roland VP-770 (beautiful vocal ensemble + vocoder)
- Roland TR-707
- Korg Kronos 1st gen (great keybed, lightweight, but over complicated menus)
- Korg PA-900 (too plasticky for my taste)
- Yamaha AN1X (****... why I had to sell it?)
- Novation Bass Station 2 (great keybed also + step sequencer delight)
- Korg Volca Sample + Volca Bass
- Roland SH-01a module
- KAWAI ES110
- KAWAI ES8
- KAWAI MP7 SE
- Roland RD-2000
- Yamaha Montage 6
- Native Instruments S61 MKI and MKII

and finally a Yamaha Genos. Uffff.... ;)

All of the above sold. Why? Just because I didnt connect with the instrument. The exception? Yamaha Motif XS6. Then why sell it? The weight... 15kg + bag on your shoulder stairs up and down = disloged shoulder sooner or later!

Why Genos? As soon as I realised the Genos only weighted 13kg and had the FSX keybed I was thrilled.

The Montage 6 was close but it came with a keybed issue (noises), and was over complicated to work with. Besides I realised I didnt want to spend my time tweaking / programming sounds but simply playing along.

There came the Genos auto accompaniment which works.... WOW! + great sounds + super intuitive and simple menus = playing and composing on the fly satisfaction. 8)

So thats it. A trully great instrument that is worth every cent. Mine was 3150€ brand new, which is a great price (the best) in all Europe at this moment.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of keyboards you've been through over the years! I'm glad you're happy with your new Genos. :)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
As you grow older you will find that you may be young at heart ...... ;)

Thank you for that!  I'm pushing 71 years old and I... LOVE... EDM.  Give me more features on the next arranger too.  I would like to get rid of some of my external MIDI hardware if Yamaha add more Live Control capabilities to the arranger.

"Different strokes for different folks"

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:19:54 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline AlBags

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »

Genos is great!
The more you get your head round it, the more capable it becomes, and you will come to absolutely love it.

Al. 👍😁👌
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2018, 02:40:05 AM »
In simple terms.   I LOVE MY GENOS!! :)

P.S. For gigs I use a Bose Compact or a Maui LD5.  When I’m rehearsing at home I use both units in stereo.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:17:55 PM by stephenm52 »

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline AlBags

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »

If you use the Genos only/mainly at home, treat yourself to some active speakers.
Good ones are expensive, but will give a great improvement over the cheap accessory speaker set Yamaha designed for the keyboard.
Good Piano sounds carry a lot of bass, and the standard set wont give the quality.

Al.

😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline gary3917

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
I would say do like Abby and get the best piano in the world .....Kawia MP 11
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »
If you get the Genos make sure you have a decent speaker system and not the tin pot ones that go with it. :o
The Genos speakers are tinny with a sub boom box. All Tin and boom, boom. :P ;D
To me It is like a transister radio with AMSTRAD written on It. Also comes with battery wires and a very messy layout.
Yamaha HS &,HS8 ,or better still Focal Alpha 50's.
No good running a Rolls Royce with a Mini engine.
The Genos on a decent system brings the 3d out more with realism.
Albags has also got It right :)
I cannot recommend the Focal Alpha50's enough,they are class. £187 each. The detail is mind blowing. A no brainer deal.
They have no volume knob, but are controlled by the Genos. These speakers are muted when switched on and when you turn up the Genos about half way they come alive after pressing a couple of keys. if you turn up Genos volume any less they just take more seconds to come alive. After they come alive, just use the volume that suits you
I am running them In at the moment which is 20 hours and I sit there with amazement at what they do. They are flat to pick detail out and when I tried Kraftwerk Autobahn and Music Non Stop It was astonishing. I am running the speakers In with lower frequency music as suggested by the Maker. Not EDM though. Kraftwerk Is where I stop at and Jarre. Just music that uses lower sound In general. On the Genos the Strings are 100% now. The whole lot is sheer clarity. Not if you have a bad hearing aid!! ;D ;D ;D
ATB
John :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:14:40 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
If you use the Genos only/mainly at home, treat yourself to some active speakers.
Good ones are expensive, but will give a great improvement over the cheap accessory speaker set Yamaha designed for the keyboard.
Good Piano sounds carry a lot of bass, and the standard set wont give the quality.

Al.
  I totally agree Al and even a £1000 for speakers would be not over the top for a £4000 machine
If people pay a lot of money for a class keyboard then It is no good hooking It up to a transitor radio!!!or anything made by AMSTRAD!!! made In Timbuktu. ;D ;D ;D
I would say to Alan Sugar  " Your Fired"!! ;D

all the best :)
John :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:23:12 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline DerekA

« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
I am wondering, if you buy a better speaker set, do you need to mount them on stands at ear-height or can they be placed on the floor?

Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Genos

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
That depends on the speaker type. Studio monitors are normally very dependent on the direction and best mounted at ear level, directed at your head position.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
Genos.  Best keyboard I’ve ever owned.

In the past I’ve had Tyros 4, PA4X, still have the S970 and owned PSR models before that.

Guess I’ve bonded with the Genos.

:)
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
I would say do like Abby and get the best piano in the world .....Kawia MP 11

It truly is the best piano in terms of sound and key action. No arranger piano can substitute the feel of real wooden keys plus the synthetic Ivory.

This piano has the same key length and action of a Concert Grand, where the key action is
on a fulcrum, as opposed to springs.

I see that you have the MP7, which also has a very good action.

I find that the MP11, coupled with my T3, fully satisfies my musical needs for the moment.

It pays to take plenty of time to delve into the EQ and Compression of the T3, to make it sound
as rich and full as any other more recent arranger.

In fact it pays to delve into the EQ and Compressor of all arrangers, something that is frequently
overlooked, or underrated, or sometimes applied only as an afterthought.

My amplified mixer also has a compressor for each individual channel. I apply compression to my
microphone, and now and then very slightly apply this compression to the MP11 and the T3 channels.
The sound becomes absolutely phenomenal.

On the subject of speakers and monitors, while there are plenty of very good speakers and monitors on
the market, the perfect speakers or monitors do not exist.

The sound always has to be EQd and compressed to perfection in the instrument and the mixer,
before it actually winds it's way to the speakers.

Best Regards.
Abby.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:16:21 PM by Pianoman »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »
Focal alpha 50s  You will be blown away!! 8)

ATB
JOHN