Author Topic: Penny Lane Style recommendation in Genos?  (Read 5603 times)

Del 123

Penny Lane Style recommendation in Genos?
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »

Hi,

I have been settling into my Genos and had this flare for playing Penny Lane (The Beatles)!

Can any of the Genos owners recommend and possibly direct me to a  style for Penny Lane on the Genos please? The timing is 6/8 and the tempo is around 100. I have opened an empty registration bank to load the song into.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Darren

Offline alans

Re: Penny Lane Style recommendation in Genos?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
Hi Darren

I seem to remember playing Penny Lane when I had the Tyros 5,I think I used a shuffle type of style, but can't remember which one.
I have a Genos and enjoy playing Beatles stuff, but haven't got round to this one yet

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
Hi Darren,
I have a PSR 2100 & S950 and use the Charleston style at around 120 on both...
What I like is that the style and the OTS lend themselves to the spirit of piece, however you might want to mimic the Beatles drumming a little more by selecting a different drum set.

I also have a 2 page lead sheet (melody, chords & lyrics) I wrote which includes the trumpet solo, so if you need it let me know.
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Del 123

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »

Hi both thank you for your advice and help.

Alan, I am always interested in Beatles stuff and generally I lean towards just using the piano voices. However, since going to a Beatles Bootleg gig last year I have this thing about the PennyLane song. I recently had a short break in Liverpool and went to the Cabin Club to listen to Beatle tribute band/ singers and visited some of the Beatle sites around the city - Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and the grave of Eleanor Rigby!

Bruce, thank you for your useful information on styles and tempo. I will steer towards your recommendations and give the Genos a bash! Thank you for your kind offer but I already have some sheet music and I will pass on the trumpet solo but will endeavor to create something and put it in the multi pads.

Have a great Christmas
Darren

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »
Hi Darren,

The style suggested by Yamaha or Penny Lane in several of their Music Finder Database files is 'BritPopSwing', Main Variation B at 115 BPM.

The MF records also start the style with Intro 2, but you might want to just start with the Main!

I've checked the Genos Data list and there is a version of this style in the 'Pop' category.

I've tried it on my Tyros4 and the T4 version does work quite well.  It also works for Slade's 'Merry Chistmas Everybody' which might be useful at this time of the year.   ;)

Regards

Ian

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »
Hi Darren,

Here's my T4 version of Penny Lane - maybe it sound good on Genos.

Regards <> Piet

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

The following users thanked this post: carson123mendes, Taffinator, lenzieman, Timonel

Del 123

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »

Cheers Piet,

I will check this out.

Have a great Christmas.
Darren

Offline alans

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »
Hi Darren

I have a book for Beatles songs "Easy Guitar Edition" although it says guitar ,it is easily used for keyboard,it has  205 songs in it written mostly in easy keys.It is still available, the only problem I found with was that it will not stay open very well,so I cut off the spine and adapted it for comb binding,now ,no problem.

Best wishes

Alan

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:31:47 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
Thanks, Alan! That key is a whole lot easier to finger than the original (B).

-- pj

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
Here's my 2 page version in C (much easier than B, that's for sure!), with the trumpet solo.

Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

The following users thanked this post: lenzieman

Del 123

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »

Thank you all again for your help and downloads ...this is brilliant. I now have a bit of work to do to set up this style and start building it into my registration bank. I found a in my old books a piano music score for Penny Lane and currently getting familiar with the song on piano voices.

Merry Christmas to you all.
Darren