Author Topic: Keyboard Suggestion pls  (Read 8722 times)

mick47willis

Keyboard Suggestion pls
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:10:10 AM »
Gday All

Have had a PSR-E433 for a couple of years and like it a lot.
Only problem is i have found i would like a bigger board...88 keys.
Any suggestions...would stick with Yamaha.
Would be happy to go 2nd hand so an older model digital would be fine.
Dont need many voices/styles as i usually just play piano...but would like the option of the yamaha bells and whistles that the E433 has.

cheers mick
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:42:04 AM by mick47 »

SeaGtGruff

Re: Keyboard Suggestion pls
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:54:28 AM »
The closest thing to a PSR-E433 with 88 keys would be a DGX-660 or earlier model. Like the PSR-E433 it is XGlite-compatible, so it has a lot of voices to choose from; and its style controls are very similar to those on the PSR-E433. But it has a better piano sound, better keys, a better screen display, the ability to play SFF2 style files, the ability to play style files directly off of a USB thumb drive, and the ability to use DSP effects. But on the downside, it doesn't have the Live Control knobs or functions for editing certain voice parameters (attack/release times and filter cutoff/resonance), and it also doesn't let you toggle the style tracks on or off using the Track Control buttons.

Yamaha also has the P models, such as P-255 and lower, and I believe they have an even better piano sound than the DGX models, although they have only a very few voices by comparison, and almost no panel controls by comparison-- many of their functions must be selected using different keys on their keyboards!

Another possible alternative that you might consider would be to keep your PSR-E433 but get a MIDI keyboard controller that has 88 keys. I've been very tempted to buy myself a new M-Audio Hammer 88 controller. Since the PSR-E models don't have MIDI ports, you'd either need to use a computer or laptop as a MIDI router between the controller and your PSR-E, or you could also buy a special MIDI USB Host interface from someone like Kenton or Sevilla Soft for connecting without a computer.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:39:33 AM »
If 76 keys is enough, then the EW400 is also an option. It has more or less the same features as the PSR-E433 and the same keybed.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
Yep, good point about the PSR-EW400.  Just realize that, while that keyboard has a nice, synthesizer-type key feel, it does NOT have hammer-style weighted keys.  So, if you're looking for weighted keys, then you'd want to go with one of the other options.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

mick47willis

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Thanks fellas...was looking for more keys to start practicing 'stride' in the left...with 61 keys you tend to clash a bit.
The DGX-660 sounds perfect except a little out of my budget...$1300 roughly  and EW400 about $600 here in Oz.
A 76 key option would be fine aswell .
I guess i can wait a bit unless you anyone can  think of an oldish model that might do the job that was good for its time.
cheers mick

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
Secondhand 88-key digital pianos can be purchased for relatively low prices, here in NL starting at €100. Keep in mind though that weighted keys play totally different than unweighted keys. I don't like them, but if you're a piano guy, you might like them better.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

mick47willis

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:49:11 AM »
Yeah that's what I'm after, a suggestion of on older yammy keyboard ..say 10 years or so that had good reviews at the time
.88 keys..300 or so voices...That way I can search the eBays of this world for a 2nd hand model
Ta

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
It sounds like you're still looking for a DGX model. There were four series of DGX:

DGX-2xx series
DGX-3xx series
DGX-5xx series
DGX-6xx series

If you want 88 keys then you want either the DGX-5xx or DGX-6xx series.

I believe the DGX-6xx series has better weighted keyboards as far as graded hammer scale action, and most DGX-6xx models have better polyphony.

But if those aren't critical issues then consider the DGX-5xx series, too. Oddly enough, in certain respects the DGX-500 looks like it might be better than the other DGX-5xx models as far as its voices, because it has 480 XG voices (as compared to 361 XGlite voices on the other models), plus it has 38 DSP insertion effects that can be applied independently to the Main Voice and/or Dual Voice (the other DGX-5xx models do not). But the DGX-500 has a disk drive rather than a USB port, and MIDI DIN ports rather than USB-MIDI, so you might want to take those facts into consideration.

Note that some of the DGX models are also available as YPG models; they're the same keyboards, just with different names for export purposes:

DGX-500 - 122 panel voices, 12 kits, 480 XG voices, 5 DJ voices - polyphony 32 notes
DGX-505 - 121 panel voices, 12 kits, 361 XGlite voices - polyphony 32 notes
DGX-520/YPG-525 - 127 panel voices, 12 kits, 361 XGlite voices - polyphony 32 notes
DGX-530/YPG-535 - 127 panel voices, 12 kits, 361 XGlite voices - polyphony 32 notes

DGX-620/YPG-625 - 127 panel voices, 12 kits, 361 XGlite voices - polyphony 32 notes
DGX-630/YPG-635 - 130 panel voices, 12 kits, 361 XGlite voices - polyphony 64 notes
DGX-640 - 142 panel voices, 12 kits, 381 XGlite voices - polyphony 64 notes
DGX-650 - 147 panel voices, 15 kits, 381 XGlite voices - polyphony 128 notes
DGX-660 - 151 panel voices, 15 kits, 388 XGlite voices - polyphony 192 notes

mick47willis

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 01:56:31 AM »
As usual great answer Michael.
Will know what to look out for now.  Thank you. ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:57:57 AM by mick47 »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 05:02:47 AM »
You're welcome, Mick! It looks like the DGX-520 and 530 are basically the same as each other. Likewise, the DGX-620 and 520 are basically the same except that the DGX-620 has a graded hammer scale keyboard.

I didn't include the number of DSP insertion effects on the models listed, but the DGX-500 is the only 5xx model with them, whereas all of the 6xx models except for the DGX-620 has them.

Anyway, if you see a good deal on any of the DGX-5xx or DGX-6xx models, you can study their owner's manuals for more information about them. :)

Jean Abdou

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 10:21:48 PM »
Gday All

Have had a PSR-E433 for a couple of years and like it a lot.
Only problem is i have found i would like a bigger board...88 keys.
Any suggestions...would stick with Yamaha.
Would be happy to go 2nd hand so an older model digital would be fine.
Dont need many voices/styles as i usually just play piano...but would like the option of the yamaha bells and whistles that the E433 has.
cheers mick

Check out Casio Privia series. Casio PX-160 has really nice key action: weighted and scaled hammer action. For getting a similar action from Yamaha you have to pay double. DGX series have inferior action compared to Casio's PX series. I own a Casio PX-150.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 01:48:13 AM »
I haven't compared all the different Privia models, but if I remember correctly you need to get one of the higher-numbered and more-expensive models if you want to get a large number of voices, because the lower-numbered and less-expensive models are similar to Yamaha's P-series models as far as having considerably fewer voices to choose from. The P-series do have better keyboards than the DGX models, although I think the DGX-6xx series are supposed to have good key action as well-- but I have no experience with any of these, Casio Privia, Yamaha P-series, or Yamaha DGX, so I can't say which ones have the best key action or the best-sounding voices. Frankly, I would love to have a Casio PX-560, because it's packed with voices and has editing functions comparable to a synth. :)

Jean Abdou

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 06:52:43 AM »
I haven't compared all the different Privia models, but if I remember correctly you need to get one of the higher-numbered and more-expensive models if you want to get a large number of voices, because the lower-numbered and less-expensive models are similar to Yamaha's P-series models as far as having considerably fewer voices to choose from. The P-series do have better keyboards than the DGX models, although I think the DGX-6xx series are supposed to have good key action as well-- but I have no experience with any of these, Casio Privia, Yamaha P-series, or Yamaha DGX, so I can't say which ones have the best key action or the best-sounding voices. Frankly, I would love to have a Casio PX-560, because it's packed with voices and has editing functions comparable to a synth. :)

Casio PX160 is only a digital piano. I have the impression that the OP is fine with owning two keyboards? one DP and one arranger... regarding the keyaction and the keybed, DGX series are not scaled and they have the cheapest keybed amaong Yamaha piano-style keyactions like Yamaha MOXF8. Even Montage8 is not scaled. In the world of Yamaha DPs, ydp-163 is the cheapest model with scaled hammer action keys.

I always use a VST for piano (sforzando and salamander grand piano samples). For me, actions is the most important feature of a digital piano.

*** Here is a link to Yamaha's action types:
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/p-80/330/6575/

Casio has 3 sensors in the Privia models. P-115 is the same as DGX series. YDP-163's action is superior compared to Casio PX160. Casio also has a stiffer action, which is a positive thing for me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 06:59:31 AM by Jean Abdou »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
Thank you for the additional comments, as it sounds like you did some research and in-store comparisons before choosing, and it's good to hear from someone who has actual hands-on experience. :)

I've been considering an 88-note keyboard myself, but have been alternating between wanting an 88-key instrument (possibly the Yamaha MX88, Casio PX-560, or Roland JUNO-DS88), or just getting an 88-key controller (probably the M-Audio Hammer 88).

I'm leaning toward a controller, because I have a large number of virtual instruments and soft synths, so I don't need a new instrument with more sounds.

I've heard some very good word-of-mouth about the Hammer 88, but I really don't want to buy anything-- instrument or controller-- without being able to try it out in a store first, alongside the alternatives.

Jean Abdou

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
Thank you for the additional comments, as it sounds like you did some research and in-store comparisons before choosing, and it's good to hear from someone who has actual hands-on experience. :)

I've been considering an 88-note keyboard myself, but have been alternating between wanting an 88-key instrument (possibly the Yamaha MX88, Casio PX-560, or Roland JUNO-DS88), or just getting an 88-key controller (probably the M-Audio Hammer 88).

I'm leaning toward a controller, because I have a large number of virtual instruments and soft synths, so I don't need a new instrument with more sounds.

I've heard some very good word-of-mouth about the Hammer 88, but I really don't want to buy anything-- instrument or controller-- without being able to try it out in a store first, alongside the alternatives.

No worries. My experience is very limited and personal. Any decision must be made by trying/testing the keyboard as you said. Casio's keys are hallow and the make a bit noise. Some people find it annoying.

I would buy a control surface and avoid any midi controller. Although Behringer is not my favorite, they make good DAW control surfaces:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c726--Behringer--Control_Surfaces

I love Korg's SV1 series and Yamaha's CP series. I've tried both but not side by side. That's what I'm aiming for.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:20:11 PM by Jean Abdou »