Author Topic: StyleFinder V1.3 Genos 2.0 Superiorpack added! (Windows Dot.Net)  (Read 29170 times)

lacobo

StyleFinder V1.3 Genos 2.0 Superiorpack added! (Windows Dot.Net)
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
2 May 2020: StyleFinder Version 1.3
] Genos 2.0 Superior pack is added
] Comments and Position are now separate fields
] Narrow font when Style-name is to long
Download the software here: http://www.lacobo.com/StyleFinder.zip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 January 2018: Version 1.2 of StyleFinder is Out!
] Resizable up to 4x it's original size
] Measure mode now contains buttons
and more.
Update 20u50 CET : Found a small problem when going full screen on a 1920x1080 monitor.
                              Fixed by removing the 'Maximize' option. Now version 1.2.1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26 December 2017: The first update of the Genos stylefinder is here!
] No database needed anymore (all is done 'internally' and a bit faster too!).
] 8-Beat search is added to the Measure section
* Bug fix: Schlager3-4 was missing in the 3/4 measure-selection
Here's a new piece of software I wrote: Genos StyleFinder. You can search on (a part of) the name, measure or tempo-range.
StyleFinder is written in Visual Studio Dot.Net 2017 and should run on Windows 7, 8 and 10.

Download the zip file and extract the 3 2 files in the same folder (exe-file,  database and pdf manual) and start StyleFinder.exe.

A big 'thank you' to my sponsor "Oostendorp-Muziek". Our joint venture makes it possible to offer this nice tool for free,
while I get something in return for the many hours I've spent writing this tool.

Have fun!

B.R.
  Bert.

Reg

Re: Genos StyleFinder software (Windows Dot.Net)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
  Hi Bert:  Thank you for creating and sharing your Style Finder software.  It should be
a help to many.   Reg

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »
Thanks, Bert!

The UI looks quite nice. I'll give this a spin once I have a Genos to worry about.  :D

All the best -- pj

lacobo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
Thanks Reg and PJ. It was a pleasure to make and it's nice that I can share it with my friends at PSRTutorial.
Found one of the 'hysterical' styles I liked on the Tyros range back using my own StyleFinder (SpanishPaso).

Bert.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:32:58 PM by lacobo »

Offline Patrick

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34:48 PM »
Thanks a lot Bert, have a nice Chrismast day, cheers Patrick
 :)

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »
Hi Bert,

I tested your Genos StyleFinder software and found it very helpful in locating proper styles using different criteria - very convenient for Genos owners.  The user interface mimics the style selection screen of Genos, a good training tool for style selection.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
Bert, Thanks for creating what should prove to be a very helpful piece of software.  Hats off to you.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

John Plumridge

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »
Thanks Bert,
                       Filed in my archive ready for when I get Genos

Regards
                John

Offline maartenb

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
Hi Bert,

Thank you so much for turning my style search idea into reality!!

Very well done and I think the interface is just gorgeous!

Maarten

lacobo

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:28 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words.

And yes Maarten, it was a pleasure to make your style-search dream come alive  :) (as I told you in the first reply on your search ideas).
Its nice to put a load of picture-boxes, labels, data-grids and over 600 lines of code together to create something useful for a lot of people.

B.R.
   Bert.

lacobo

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
Next project will be Yamico for Genos (maybe I'll rename it to GenIcons :-) to change the icon of your styles and voices in an easy and elegant way.
Might take a few months to complete, because my other hobby (filming theater performances and make a movie out of it) still needs some finishing.

Bert.

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 09:04:39 AM »

Thank you Bert.
An incredible usefull idea.
And thank you to the nice people at Oostendorp

This is what makes there forums amazing.
People creating and sharing.

jgriffin

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
Bert.....this will be so helpful to me.  I spend so much wasted time looking for "time signatures"...and I will make use of the other search parameters as well.  You are amazing! Have a blessed day.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
Bert
this is a great idea.  Very well written and easy to use.

Nice user interface.

When looking for time signature, i can see 16Beat as one of the options.  However, i did not see 8Beat . . . . as an option.   

am i missing something . . . ?

thanks again.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

lacobo

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
Hi Al,

You are right! 8beat is missing. When I have some time in the new year I will post an update.
The measure part of StyleFinder may contain more mistakes, I hand-picked the non 4/4 styles.

B.R.
   Bert.

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Hi Bert,

In the past, I only used the external touchscreen monitor as an enlarged duplicate screen of the Genos built-in touchscreen - Genos does not support touch for external display though.

With the release of your Genos StyleFinder program, I found additional usage of the external touchscreen monitor - to switch between the HDMI display of Windows 10 laptop to access StyleFinder, YEM, YRE, and other useful programs written for Yamaha arrangers, with touch support, and the view-only VGA output of Genos:

This led me thinking of replacing the external monitor with an all-in-one touchscreen Windows 10 device with HDMI input and picture in picture capability to serve as a more versatile Genos external display.

Merry Christmas,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:46:14 PM by zionip »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
Paul,

Great looking set up!  Merry Christmas!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline zionip

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you too!

Paul

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »
Hi Paul,

Just out of curiosity while being a visual impaired/legally blind person that tried but couldn't work with the non-tiltable Genos touchscreen. Am I reading this correct? Can you attach an external bigger touchscreen? Since that would be a nice second best. The new csp iPad option therefor speech options (and hopefully next Genos option) being probably the best.

kind regards,
Peter

Offline zionip

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »
Hi Paul,

Just out of curiosity while being a visual impaired/legally blind person that tried but couldn't work with the non-tiltable Genos touchscreen. Am I reading this correct? Can you attach an external bigger touchscreen? Since that would be a nice second best. The new csp iPad option therefor speech options (and hopefully next Genos option) being probably the best.

kind regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

The answer is definitely a "Yes" for external display, but Genos does not support touch functionality on the external display.  You can purchased a USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI display adapter based on the DisplayLink DL-165 or DisplayLink DL-195 chipset, and plug it into the USB port at the back of Genos to connect to external display monitor.  You still have to touch the Genos 9-inch built-in touchscreen, but the much bigger external display helps tremendously.

Here is the same external monitor displaying the Genos screen, the same monitor that I used to show the "Genos StyleFinder" program on this thread earlier, with a few presses of buttons to switch between Genos (VGA) and a Windows 10 touchscreen laptop (HDMI):

I posted the following message that may help you choose which USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI display adapter to buy:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40970.msg322348.html#msg322348

You can even display Genos to more than one external monitor by using a HDMI splitter / matrix switch with multiple HDMI outputs.  Here is a testing setup for 2 external displays for Genos:

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Merry Christmas!
Paul
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:49:53 PM by zionip »

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »
Thank you Paul,

Not all functions from what I tested were accessible by buttons on the exterior on the Genos unlike the T5 where that is the case I think. Although the external bigger screen would be a progress it would still leave you with the touchscreen of the Genos to operate your arranger. Same is the case with the T5 but since that is tiltable it is a little better.

I hope Yamaha will continue the iPad evolution they started with the CSP 150/170 and expand it to arrangers as well. Hoping they will work under speech assistant apps. Those are already there on iPads, smartphones and Android. It would surely make my life and that of other visually impaired people a lot easier :)  Too small of a market to really be cost worthy I know but getting rid of most buttons and doing most of it on an iPad in software should be possible and perhaps even profitable. Seems to me that it would be much easier to implement support, updates etc. on a piece of software rather than on hardware. Hope it's gonna be the future. I know it's a little egoistic but still if one can't have hope(s) .... :)

I appreciated your reply,
Peter

Offline zionip

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 12:06:09 AM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for mentioning the Yamaha CSP 150/170, which I was not familiar with.

I can see the benefits of Yamaha's Smart Piano app for iPad on the Clavinova Smart Piano CSP-150/170:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz24clpQKMo

Let's hope that Yamaha or some 3rd party will release something similar for Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

lacobo

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
Nice to see that my StyleFinder is that inspiring  :)

I have now a small 10 inch monitor behind the music stand for showing lyrics and shords:

And I have bought an Acer Switch3, a 12 inch Windows 10 tablet. Being an Acer-sceptic this was a remarkable step for Lacobo  ;)
But the concept of a tablet with a very sturdy stand, a detachable keyboard and a 12 inch screen was to tempting.

This can go on top op the music stand for finding and displaying shords and using the Yamaha apps and StyleFinder.

B.R.
   Bert.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:27:43 AM by lacobo »

lacobo

Re: StyleFinder software V1.1 Redownload (Windows Dot.Net)
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
Took some time to update StyleFinder to V1.1.
Removing the need of the database was a bit painful (drastic reprogramming of the 'search engine' is no pick nick), but the result is a nice compact exe-only version of the tool.

See the topic opening for the other changes.

B.R.
 Bert.

The following users thanked this post: zionip

Offline zionip

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
Hi Bert,

Thanks for updating your software.

Appreciate a lot,
Paul

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Hi Bert,

I do not own a Genos and therefor the program is probably of no use to me but hats off to you. I do appreciate all the people like you, Jörgen, Michael and Murray to name a few (alphabetically ;) ) making a tremendous effort in trying to make our "keyboard lives" a lot easier. It's part of the reason I chose for Yamaha to be honest.

kind regards,

Peter
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:40:41 PM by XeeniX »

Antonio

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
Hello

I find your application very nice! I can suggest you to extend the Style finder also to the User Styles (a User Style folder, with the respective sub folders alfabetical,order A, B, C. etc)
If you need an example struktur  I send you an email.

Still Merry Christmas and regards
Antono
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:26:16 AM by Antonio »

Offline torben

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
This is really a great application. Thank you so much!

Now, I wonder if there exists an application that - in a similar way - can check all of Genos and its connected USB's for styles? Or - perhaps only - the USB's?

Best greetings

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

lacobo

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
Thank you all for the warm words and compliments  :)

The urge in me to create applications for the Genos is quite intense: When I woke up two nights ago around 4 A.M. and could't sleep anymore I got a bright idea (the 'database-less' version). I stood up and did write the first couple of lines to see if it was possible and as fast. After one hour I went to bed again and slept like a baby   :D

Then the question about the user-collected styles. It is possible, but it's way more complex. Now I just have a fixed list with the 550 styles, their category, tempo, measure, position etc. But there's hope:
Back in 2006 I wrote Yamico for Tyros 2 or 3. It could recognize the different types of styles, read out the tempo of each style (Hello Yamaha, why can't you do this in-keyboard) etc. Voices and other files too. It even had an Icon-changer- and a print function. So I have most of the programming done already (I only have to upgrade it from VB6 to Dot.net, but that shouldn't take long).

All I need is time. Right now I'm busy editing 4 x 'The West Side Story' (recorded with 6 4K camera's each, editing in 720P so I can zoom in and pan and switch camera's in post). when that project is finished (should be somewhere in January/February) I will start writing  Genicons (you see, it even has a name already  ;) ).

B.R.
  Bert.

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
This is really a great application. Thank you so much!

Now, I wonder if there exists an application that - in a similar way - can check all of Genos and its connected USB's for styles? Or - perhaps only - the USB's?

Best greetings

Torben

Hi

Try "PSR Style Database" software at http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/psd/psdmain.htm

Jørgen

PS:
Has been around for ages...  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:30:34 PM by Jørgen »
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

lacobo

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
Hi Jørgen,

For me the 'looks and presentation' of a tool are as important as the working of it. Hence the looks of StyleFinder.
So, yes, there might be tools out there that could do the sorting etc. But the looks... that's another story.

Bert.

Offline torben

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
Thanks Jørgen!  :) I have also been around for ages ...  :-X

Hilsner

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
Hi Bert

Right, you win in 'looks and presentation'...

But I prefer 'features and customization' for managing my huge style collection...

Best wishes

Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline zionip

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »
For me the 'looks and presentation' of a tool are as important as the working of it. Hence the looks of StyleFinder.
So, yes, there might be tools out there that could do the sorting etc. But the looks... that's another story.

Hi Bert,

For Genos internal styles, your StyleFinder program is very useful with excellent look and presentation, very helpful in exploring Genos preset styles.  Your program changed my initial thoughts of the use of external display for Genos to incorporate the use of a Windows device, in addition to the VGA output of Genos:

Peter Wierzba's PSR Style Database program is very effective Yamaha style management tool with simple table based presentation, easy recursive browsing of user stored style files, and it works with external style players to make it more useful.

Thanks,
Paul

lacobo

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
Thanks Paul!. I didn't realize it while making it, but now I have a Windows 10 tablet I find the touch-friendliness of the interface very practical. I'll keep that in mind when I'm going to make Genicons somewhere in February.

Of course there are more useful style programs. And that's a good thing! The more the merrier  :)

Yamaha is planning a 'very big' firmware update at the end of January. The File Access function seems to return (put your own files behind the default Style category buttons). Maybe a search and sort function as well. Who knows.

Bert.

Offline GrantB

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
Hi Bert,

Windows 10 won't allow me to run the exe file even as administrator, it is being blocked by Windows Smart Defender. Anyone know a way around this problem?

Cheers

Grant

lacobo

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
Hi Grant,

Found an online article how to over-rule the Windows Defender Smartscreen:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3197443/windows/how-to-get-past-windows-defender-smartscreen-in-windows-10.html

B.R.
   Bert.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, GrantB

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Hi

A well known problem... Read close to the bottom of page: http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

Jørgen
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, GrantB

Offline GrantB

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
Hi Bert,

Fixed, thanks for the information and what a great piece of very useful software that looks pretty cool to boot.

Cheers

Grant

lacobo

Re: StyleFinder V1.2 Zoomable! (Windows Dot.Net)
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
One last update before I start with my video-editing again:

It's now possible to enlarge StyleFinder up to 4 times it's original size!
On a 1920x1200 screen with 125% scaling the thing fills the entire screen!
The radio-buttons didn't respond nicely to the scaling, so now there are buttons as well.

One disadvantage: To make sure StyleFinder runs on as many Windows systems as possible, I had to let go the exact look of the Style category buttons (because of the Font's). But that was a small price to pay I assume.

Links are in the Starting-topic.

B.R.
    Bert.

Offline Duffy

Re: StyleFinder V1.2.1 Zoomable! (Windows Dot.Net)
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
Thank you Bert,
Your Style Finder is so much appreciated and I shall now keep an eye out for any new software you write.
Thanks for both your talent and your generosity.
Tony

Offline Tyroslover

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2020, 07:16:59 PM »
Thanks for Style finder I find it a great help.

Bachus

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 07:49:44 PM »
I missed out on this...

Yamaha should have a look at this and add this to the genos in the next patch...

Sadly i dont use pc..
So its no help to me..
However very very usefull i guess for pc users..

Offline hans1966

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2020, 01:41:16 AM »
Great, Lacobo. A question would it be possible to create a similar software for SX900 / 700 ?. Thanks in advance. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline frozzers

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »
Also, Bert, if you could add the new Genos Superior Pack styles to the program, that would be great.

Cheers

Chris

lacobo

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
Nice that my little program is still going strong  :)

To answer a few questions:
This is all about the internal styles of Genos, and because (sadly) the  Superior Pack isn't integrated into the firmware (hint to Yamaha), I can't add it to this setup.
I might add an option for the Superior pack via some sort of extension page. When I have some spare time I'll have a look.
I could create this because I have the Genos @ home, I don't have an PSR-SX900 or SX700 so that's not easy too.

B.R.
  Bert

Offline valimaties

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2020, 08:03:10 PM »
Hi Iacobo.

Instead of hard-code styles in your program, make an "instrument" file (ini, xml, txt, csv, whatever you want) and make a button to import extra content from users. In this way your software will be accessible by everyone, and when I say accessible, that means everyone can create themselves their files with their custom packs styles, and so on. You only will add some flags to the new path you have to load in your table of content ;)

Make a pattern file, a structure and everyone must follow that structure to be able to load their custom packs styles in your program.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

lacobo

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
That seems doable. Thank for the idea Vali.

B.R.
  Bert.

Offline overover

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
That seems doable. Thank for the idea Vali.

B.R.
  Bert.

Hi Bert,

I looked at the first version (1.0) of your "Genos StyleFinder" program again: There you used an external database file (.mdb), which could be edited if necessary. But for a "normal" user, it is not that easy to edit the three tables contained in the .mdb with e.g. MS Access.

I think, ideally the "Style Definition" file (for additional Styles to be entered by the user) should have a simpler file format like .csv, .tsv or .txt.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:43:22 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

lacobo

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
Hi Chris,

Yes, I will add a txt input method somewhere in the future.
Will then make some example files from/for packs that I own.

B.R.
  Bert