Author Topic: Can I use the on-board wi-fi to transfer files back and forth?  (Read 5163 times)

karmacomposer

Can I use the on-board wi-fi to transfer files back and forth?
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
I have the included wi-fi adapter plugged in and logged into my network.  It does not actually show up on my networked computers, but I can use wi-fi for Tyros 5 related stuff.

Since unplugging and plugging the usb thumb drive is a pain and not good for the thumb drive, I was wondering if I could use the wi-fi connection to transfer new styles and such to the Tyros and vice versa for backup reasons?

Is this possible? If so, how?

Offline Bill

Re: Can I use the on-board wi-fi to transfer files back and forth?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »
YES you can use the WIFI for transferring files etc.  The APP to use with the IPAD is MusicSoft Manager.

It is free and works very well.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
Just a note to say that while I was checking Yamaha's site the other day for a manual, I noticed that a new version of the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader (5.7.4, if I remember correctly) had just been posted the week before. I can't see anything different about it, at least nothing obvious in the GUI, but I assume it was updated in some fashion for the Genos.

karmacomposer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 06:09:36 AM »
And if I don'rt have an iPad?  I'm a Windows guy.

Mike

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »
On a Windows computer, use the Musicsoft Downloader program, available from Yamaha's web site:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/msd_win_kbd.html

On a Mac computer, use the MusicSoft Manager program, although I can't find a link to it right now.

On an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, use the MusicSoft Manager app, available from the App Store.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:59:23 AM by SeaGtGruff »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
In the past the Musicsoft program has been dedicated to moving music content and I never found a way to move voice files,  styles etc. in the slick way you might hope for between a connected keyboard and computer.
So I have stuck with physically transferring my working USB stick. (All my routine working files are on USB rather than HD in the past with Tyros and now the front USB drive on Genos so it's quick in spite of being disappointingly old fashioned)
Does anyone know if this has changed with the latest version? There's no indication from the description.
John
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:13:00 AM by jwyvern »

Offline frozzers

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
As far as I can tell, the latest PC version still only operates via USB cable.

I've got a Mac and I couldn't find a version for that. Even if there is one, there's probably not going to be a wireless option.

It's odd that Yamaha have produced an iPhone/iPad app for wireless transfer and not a similar option for a PC or a Mac when file storage is more obviously going to be on a computer. Dropbox is available through the app though so I can store my backups in there.

Chris