Author Topic: Cakewalk Instrument Defintions for Genos  (Read 6722 times)

pvk

Cakewalk Instrument Defintions for Genos
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
Any news on that?

Jeff Hollande

Re: Cakewalk Instrument Defintions for Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:20:10 AM »
Hi,

Since Cakewalk/Sonar is no longer available for updates, I wonder if any volunteers are still interested in making the *.ini for the Genos.  ???

We may hope and pray another manufacturer will continue Cakewalk/Sonar but ... it looks like there ain't much interest though. :'(

If I were you I should focus on Cubase in the near future.
Since 2002 Cubase ( Steinberg ) is owned ( 100% ) by Yamaha.

Take care,

Jeff 

pvk

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for Your reply.
I don't think You are 100% right about that.

The Sonar software isn't useless just because Gibson closed the further updating. Thousands of users are working with the software.
So when using the software for MIDI it will still do the work in many years to come.
Think about it, the updating of DAW`s are mostly on the audio part, and not so much about MIDI editing tools, they are quite basic.
I am using Sonar Professional on a daily basis in my MIDI studio, and have done so since early 90S. I have no plans to skip the program for the MIDI programming.

For the use with Yamaha Genos i hope someone will make the Cakewalk Instrument Definition file.
I would even pay someone to make it, because it just makes sound changes more creative, instead of changing sound with MSB/LSB/PC.
I am daily checking: http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=81&Itemid=58
and http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/ins_files.htm

I have been on Cubase and ProTools, but none of them matches the midi workflow in Sonar.
I guess that it will not be taken over by another manufacturer because of legal issues, and not because no one has an interest in it.

Regards
PVK
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:45:48 PM by pvk »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
Hi PVK,

Sonar Platinum is also my favourite DAW, my # 1 and I may hope Sonar will find a company and will receive the support it deserves.

It has never been clear to me why Roland ever sold this great tool. Maybe Cakewalk did not bring the profit Roland were expecting ? We do not know.

BTW Roland even made hardware for Cakewalk.

We all knew Cakewalk was not the right partner for Gibson.

Again, I may seriously hope Cakewalk will meet the right partner but it will be hard to find, I guess, due to all legal obligations and other problems we do not know ( yet ).

After a period of 15 years we do not know if Yamaha are so happy with Steinberg ( Cubase ) either.

Since Yamaha ended XGWorks in 2002, ( a huge mistake IMHO ) we never received a DAW really suitable for Yamaha's arranger keyboards.

For many, many years thousands of Yamaha's arranger kb customers are begging Steinberg/Yamaha to produce a typical Yamaha arranger kb DAW but up to now it looks like they never offered us what we need, want even when we are ready to pay for that program.

How many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry ?
( Bob Dylan ).

Cross my fingers ! 🍀

Jeff, The Hopeful
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:53:52 PM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
I have been using Sonar for 15~20 years and like it.
I subscribed to the unlimited version to support it, already thinking this offer announced the end.

How much money are we willing to pay for the maintenance of a software that already proposes all we can expect ? ...

Unless there is an hardware evolution that enforces a major software adaptation, for me, there is nothing more to add in the DAW core software. And it's a very ponctual work that requires to keep competencies on a very technical software => very expensive.

And for plugins, there are signal processing competencies, I don't think DAW core software developers have.

pvk

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
When i wrote: "I would even pay someone to make it"

I was talking about the Sonar (Cakewalk) Definition file for Yamaha Genos.
Not the maintenance of the software.

Heiko

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 05:17:53 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Joe H