Author Topic: How do I change the default vocal harmony settings?  (Read 11339 times)

Offline StuartR

How do I change the default vocal harmony settings?
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
I presume this is possible but can't seem to find how/where to do it. I know I can save this and much more in a registration but in this case is rather change the default and only modify registrations for vocal harmony exceptions.

Will the Parameter lock work to keep a selected harmony setting?

Any help here would be appreciated. I can't seem to save a modified vocal harmony setting in my registrations. Is this supported?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:09:33 PM by StuartR »

Kaarlo von Freymann

Re: How do I change the default vocal harmony settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 02:51:12 AM »
I presume this is possible but can't seem to find how/where to do it. I know I can save this and much more in a registration but in this case is rather change the default and only modify registrations for vocal harmony exceptions.

Will the Parameter lock work to keep a selected harmony setting?

Any help here would be appreciated. I can't seem to save a modified vocal harmony setting in my registrations. Is this supported?

I believe many are having your problem. I for one have been fighting with it for weeks.  It may not be the correct term but I call settings you want to be  set for once and then forgotten   "global settings" which word is used in military drone design which is my field.  I believe you are referring to the vocal harmony setting always returning to three part harmony which disturbs me as I want the setting to default to "Mary to Bob".  I have not been able to do that on parameter lock  so I have done it  - very inconvenient - on each registration button on every registration bank. I may be wrong, but it seems the designers have put all emphasis on the user being able to put everything in the registry, not to set up the instrument without the registry.  If the registry would work 100 % reliably one could accept the concept.  Unfortunately my experience with 2 Genos (to make sure the problems are not due to a Monday product) is the registry is reliable only with banks with uncomplicated settings. Eileen was so kind as to send me one of her fantastic registration, and yes, I could load and save it several times and it worked perfectly. But it had just one style with its 4 settings, no change in tempo,   etc.  My banks are very complicated,  and so far neither I or the YAMAHA importer has been able to make them reliable.  Posts usually finish with "hope this helps"  I do appreciate this does not help you. In case you have progressed, please let me know.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 03:49:25 AM »
I can't seem to save a modified vocal harmony setting in my registrations. Is this supported?

You need to create a User VH. Modify your settings from whatever Preset you want to start with, then Save the modified settings to a User VH

Now with this User VH loaded, memorize your registration, ensuring that Vocal Harmony/Mic Settings is checked.

Hope this helps,

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:51:06 AM »
My banks are very complicated,  and so far neither I or the YAMAHA importer has been able to make them reliable.  Posts usually finish with "hope this helps"  I do appreciate this does not help you. In case you have progressed, please let me know.

I too create complicated registrations, and they work 100% reliably for me. You should post your problem registrations so we can take a look at them for you.

Sorry for trying to help,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

DonM

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 06:12:18 AM »
I have not ready the Genos User Manual, because I don't have a Genos, but I would suggest every one read it.  The manuals are not the best in the world, but they have always contained most answers.  :)

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
I don't have a Genos keyboard but the S950, and I agree with Fred.

What he has described is exactly how I have all my VH setup and then connect them to a Registration, I have never had any issues. I do connect 2 completely different styles together (because of the tempo change). In this particular song's case, 6 of the registrations are used for moving through the song. The last 2 are set up for my singing, #7 is for singing solo with just Reverb and #8 is setup for adding in the Backup singer with Reverb as well. I can then jump back and forth between #7 and #8 mic setting no matter what part of the song I need to switch them.

I believe the Genos now has 10 registration buttons, which is even better. ;)
Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:03:48 AM by DrakeM »

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
Quote: How do I change the default vocal harmony settings?

Don't know if it is what you're looking for, but why not look into
page 72 ---> in the User Manual and see if you find something to use,
and page 113 ----> in the Reference Manual have some words about vocal harmony settings too.
Hope this is for any help.  8)

Edit:
Added link to manuals etc.
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:20:32 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
You need to create a User VH. Modify your settings from whatever Preset you want to start with, then Save the modified settings to a User VH

Now with this User VH loaded, memorize your registration, ensuring that Vocal Harmony/Mic Settings is checked.

Hope this helps,

Fred

I was hoping that whatever Vocal Harmony you last used would remain until explicitly changed. That's the way some other settings work, but not the vocal harmony. It always reverts back to "Standard". I'm well aware of the ability to set it in a registration.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
In this video recorded live, you will be able to see how I use registrations I can save anything in a registration set up to 10 different styles, it will retain the panel setup including speed of style, Harmony, key changes etc.

I would also recommend to use some vocal voices in the right or left hand, they are very effective when played together with the microphone harmony.

To have more flexibility I send the right hand, the microphone setting and the style to different output on the keyboard, to separate input on my mixer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0pS7-a7Ac