Author Topic: Happy with my T4 to T5/76 trade-up...  (Read 10712 times)

Offline Will49

Happy with my T4 to T5/76 trade-up...
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

During my time of owning all Tyros models from the very first one up to T4, I’ve posted here on PSR Tutorial boards a few times over the years. However, I now introduce myself for the first time as a happy owner of a used Tyros 5/76-note keyboard! Whilst Genos is undoubtedly a very good keyboard, it has some features that I would hardly use. And I don't feel it has a big enough improvement (over the T5) in the styles and features that are of interest to me. Consequently, I didn't consider it to be worth all that vast amount of money that would have been needed on top of my T4 to get one!

So, as recently stated on the Genos board, I made my mind up to move up in steps, i.e: a used T5/76 for now, and maybe (and that's a big 'maybe'!) move up to a used Genos in about 18-24 months. Initially, I considered Tyros Tipster's deal of £949 with my T4 for a used T5/76 but that didn't happen in the end... long story! I then contacted other dealers: One was asking in excess of £1,300 (can't remember the exact figure) with my T4. One or two others never came back to me, and the chap at A&C Hamilton was gobsmacked when he heard what Tyros Tipster's T4 to T5/76 deal entailed. He said: "...the figures just don't add up", and assured me that no other dealer in the country could come anywhere close! Almost giving up, I e-mailed Bonners Music - despite not feeling optimistic for even a reply to be honest. So imagine my surprise when I had an e-mail back from Amanda Jones at Bonners... and even a bigger surprise when I came to the part of her e-mail that said they could match Tyros Tipsters! I was also reassured that it would be an immaculate T5/76, and that it included free delivery and collection of my T4... which all took place last Tuesday (5 December)!

It arrived in its original box as promised, and opening the box revealed that it was snuggly packaged in the proper polystyrene bits and wrapped in that white covering sheet. But as I am extremely OCD with my keyboards (as my wife will testify!), I unwrapped it with a certain level of trepidation about what I was going to find once I got it totally unpacked! Needless to say, therefore, how relieved I was to see that it was as immaculate as promised… complete with the plastic screen protector still on the screen! I thoroughly examined it from every angle and am pleased to say that I could not find a single fingerprint or anything else anywhere that would tell it apart from a brand new one!

My message to owners of Tyros(1) to Tyros 4 who might be reading this board with the view of changing up to a T5/76, is this:
Go for it, I highly recommend it! At first, you will find a lot of styles and some features from previous Tyroses are still there in the T5, and that's something I already knew anyway (and not a bad thing really), but there is MUCH, MUCH more to the T5/76 and I am happy that I took the plunge (I am currently exploring the Ensemble feature)! I am also very happy to highly recommend Bonners Music. If you give them a bell, ask for Tom Parsons or Amanda Jones. I conclude by saying that, for a home player like me, I think the T5/76 is a fantastic arranger!

Kind regards,
Will

The following users thanked this post: gary3917

Offline Telmo

Re: Happy with my T4 to T5/76 trade-up...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »
Congratulations Will,
Surely you will have a lot of fun with your little toy, Tyros 5. And remember, if you want to give it a Genos sound flavour, you can try this EQ Settings:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41147.msg322965.html#msg322965
What's more, you can even try some of Genos styles on your Tyros-5 like this dude here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E96V0w0YZFs&feature=youtu.be
Happy playing.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Offline Will49

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »
Hi Telmo,

Many thanks for replying, and for offering advice concerning EQ settings for my T5. I'm currently not at my keyboard, but will certainly try this next time I turn it on!

One thing that did notice when I first turned my T5 on after unpacking, and connecting up to my Hi-Fi, was that its overall volume level was much lower than it was on the T4 that I had before it - despite the volume knobs of both T5 and the Hi-Fi being exactly in the same position that I always used for the T4. Anyone else noticed this? Anyhow, perhaps the advice on EQ that you have just offered will remedy this?

Kind regards,
Will

Offline Del B

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
Hi Will
Yes the EQ settings will remedy the volume issue and you will probably have to turn the volume knob down when you have made the adjustment, I used have my volume turned fully up now it is set to around 65-70%
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:46:28 AM by Del B »

Offline Will49

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
Thank you Del B. I shall certainly be trying this! 😊

Kind regards,
Will

Offline alans

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Hi Will

I'm really pleased it came good for you,I'm sure you will be very happy with  the T5-76,lovely great sounding keyboard.
Yes,the overall volume can sound quite low ,I found that when I got my T5,but as others have suggested ,go into the master settings in the mixer and have a play with the EQ and Compressor settings,this makes a lot of difference,I used to have my volume set no higher than about 11 o'clock on the volume control and that was plenty for me.Save it as a user setting
 BTW I'm still playing around with mine on the Genos,quite a bit to experiment with yet 😃😃 but slowly getting there.

Best regards

Have a good Christmas to you and your family

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
Congratulations Will,
Surely you will have a lot of fun with your little toy, Tyros 5. And remember, if you want to give it a Genos sound flavour, you can try this EQ Settings:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41147.msg322965.html#msg322965
What's more, you can even try some of Genos styles on your Tyros-5 like this dude here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E96V0w0YZFs&feature=youtu.be
Happy playing.

Hi,Will
congrats on your tyros 5
Just want to say that these EQ settings gave my tyros 5 a face lift,, reclamation,, like geritol...
Hope you have a chance to try them out.

cheers
elaine

happy playing
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline sooty8

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
Hi Will

You got there in the end then, I was blown away with the sound coming from a S950 to a Tyros 5.
I am in the process  of Yamaha updating my expansion packs for the Tyros 5, Church Expansion pack fantastic sound.
I have just taken out the 1GB flash drive from the Tyros and sold it on e-bay, Got £100 for it, replaced it with a used 2GB flash drive 
I like plenty of memory, paid £175.00 for it.
I am still playing around  with my EQ settings and it is personal taste. I was unhappy with the strings on the Tyros, but having help on this forum about mixing legacy sounds with the tyros 5 string sounds I am pleased with the out come.
The volume control is about at 11 o' clock any higher I will get told off from the wife, it interferes with Coronation Street and Eastenders

My learning curve is greater than yours as you have come from a Tyros 4 but I know that I will get the support I need on this site if I have a problem.

Happy Christmas Will and Happy new year.

Steve.
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Will49

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »
I'm really pleased it came good for you,I'm sure you will be very happy with  the T5-76,lovely great sounding keyboard.
Yes,the overall volume can sound quite low ,I found that when I got my T5,but as others have suggested ,go into the master settings in the mixer and have a play with the EQ and Compressor settings,this makes a lot of difference… BTW I'm still playing around with mine on the Genos,quite a bit to experiment with yet 😃😃 but slowly getting there.
Have a good Christmas to you and your family
Thanks, Alan. Yes, seems to have turned out very well so far. I felt that I needed to come up a rung in the technology ladder really, and not to be left standing still whilst my T4 would have been slowly depreciating, and technology advancing so rapidly! I was already quite happy with my T4, so now that I still have some of the T4 in the T5/76, and a LOT MORE besides (as well as the longer keyboard obviously), I’m very happy with my decision. The EQ and Compressor department will be my first port of call next time I power it up. Glad to see that you are experimenting with your Genos… all part of the fun isn’t it!

A very Happy Christmas to you and your family too,
Will
congrats on your tyros 5
Just want to say that these EQ settings gave my tyros 5 a face lift,, reclamation,, like geritol...
Hope you have a chance to try them out.
Hi Elaine. Thank for your input. Like I’ve said to Alan above, the EQ setting will be my first stop next time I turn the T5 on! ;D

Kind regards,
Will
You got there in the end then, I was blown away with the sound coming from a S950 to a Tyros 5.
I was unhappy with the strings on the Tyros, but having help on this forum about mixing legacy sounds with the tyros 5 string sounds I am pleased with the out come.
The volume control is about at 11 o' clock any higher I will get told off from the wife, it interferes with Coronation Street and Eastenders.
Happy Christmas Will and Happy new year.
Hi Steve. Yes, got there in the end, haha! 8) Experimenting with the Strings is another thing that will be on the agenda with me as well. Good to see that going from a S950 to a T5 has blown you away, but a pair of headphones might be handy for when Corrie and Eastenders are on! ;D ;D

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too,
Will

Offline supersteve

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »
Hi Will
Glad you are happy with your Tyros 5, as daft as it sounds from your description it sounds very similar to the one I traded in for my Genos at Bonners , but it could be anyone's, but the serial number was BAVL ***62
If so it was only used in the house never gigged. it would be nice to think it has gone to a good home.

Steve

Offline Will49

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
Glad you are happy with your Tyros 5, as daft as it sounds from your description it sounds very similar to the one I traded in for my Genos at Bonners , but it could be anyone's, but the serial number was BAVL ***62 If so it was only used in the house never gigged. it would be nice to think it has gone to a good home.
Thank you for that Steve. It would be very nice if I was able to confirm that I've now got yours, but the serial number doesn't match I'm afraid. 😕 Whoever the previous owner was, I can assure him/her that their T5/76 has come to a very good home! 😊

Kind regards,
Will

Offline supersteve

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 10:56:40 PM »
Will
        I am sure you will appreciate it who ever was the the previous owner, enjoy i am sure You will. As much as I am enjoying the Genos.

I even put the wifi and music stand brackets in there little bags.😀

Steve

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »
Hey Will,

Happy for ya! The T5 is a magnificent arranger that wil get you through many cold, rainy, boring days :P
Give yourself some time to get used to it when coming from a T4 (been there, done that) You wil really start to enjoy the switch. EQ setting sliders wil tell you the truth each time ;) Set them to some sort of smiley face and start fine tuning :)

cheers,
Peter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:21:51 PM by XeeniX »

karmacomposer

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 04:01:58 PM »
Congrats on your T5!  I, too, recently became a Tyros 5 owner.  However, I am CONVINCED that although the seller claimed the T5 76 Key to be used but in mint condition, it came packaged as new!  This thing has never been touched by human hands and was packaged as if it came straight from the factory.  I got the deal of the century for this, IMHO, new T5 76 key with dust cover and the Yamaha speaker system with subwoofer (sounds incredible) for $3,000 plus $50 shipping USD.  I have not yet seen a deal that good on a highly USED T5 61 or 76 key.

I'm loving this thing!

As soon as I buy a 2GB expansion board for it, I am going to test out all of my sf2 files (supposed to work on Tyros and Genos keyboards) and see how they sound.  You can see/hear my products at www.supersynths.com

Mike

Offline Will49

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »
Congrats on your T5!  I, too, recently became a Tyros 5 owner.  However, I am CONVINCED that although the seller claimed the T5 76 Key to be used but in mint condition, it came packaged as new!  This thing has never been touched by human hands and was packaged as if it came straight from the factory.
Thanks Mike, I'm pleased to hear that you also got an immaculate one. That's how mine was...couldn't believe it when I actually finished unpacking, put it on a table under bright lights, and couldn't find anything different about it than if I had just unpacked a brand new one from the factory! Mind you, my T4 went back like that too; I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference between it and a new one. Seems that there are quite a few of us OCD keyboardists out there then! ;D ;D

Kind regards,
Will

Offline Will49

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for all your replies and advice on tweaking the EQ settings. I've only been able to spend a few minutes of experimenting so far, and very pleased to say that just a few increments make a lot of difference... WOW! :o I found also that turning the compressor alone up to just 3 makes a significance improvement to the overall volume. :D

Thanks again and Best Wishes for an excellent Christmas,
Will

agoldstraw

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
Hi Will
Glad you are happy with your Tyros 5, as daft as it sounds from your description it sounds very similar to the one I traded in for my Genos at Bonners , but it could be anyone's, but the serial number was BAVL ***62
If so it was only used in the house never gigged. it would be nice to think it has gone to a good home.

Steve

Hey Steve, I just bought that very keyboard! :)

Looking forward to it arriving.

Regards,

Aidan
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:31:18 PM by agoldstraw »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
Congrats, Guys !👍👍👍

Enjoy your new toys. 😄
Jeff

Offline ton37

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
Hi Will, enjoy your new T5-76! I also bought a mint-keyboard for a good price. The seller told me that for each scratch I could find he reduces the price with €50 for each scratch. I didn't found a single one, allthought I tried secretly with my nails but just cut them short  >:(;D ;D( (thats what keyboardists do).
As I am a 100% homeplayer the weight was not a issue for me to buy a T5-76. There were less T5-61 and most T5-76 were trade in. I'm glad I decided for the larger one. On the top-right side there is plenty room, so I have made a kind of shelf above the T5, on which my (computer)keyboard and mouse lies. Can now easily reach the keyboard + keyboard&mouse, when I'm in front of my computermonitors ;).
Happy keyboarding.. regards Ton.
My best regards,
Ton

agoldstraw

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff – as for weight, I don't think it's going to be an issue as I regularly gig with a Yamaha CP4 stage piano which is about a kilo heavier. But I will be getting a wheeled bag for it – looks like there is one of Thomann's Soundwear range which fits – in which case, it's a no brainer as I already have one of these for both my CP4 and Kurzweil PC361 and the quality is second to none.

Offline Will49

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
Hi Will, enjoy your new T5-76! I also bought a mint-keyboard for a good price.
Thanks Ton. Pleased to see that you got a mint condition one too... hope you have lots of enjoyment with it! :)

Kind regards,
Will