Genos (12 Boards) > Genos - General

Real Leslie

(1/4) > >>

Toplayer2:
Hi,

Has anyone tried to use a real Leslie with Genos or other Yamaha keyboard?  To my ears, the DSP simulations are all incredibly fake sounding.

Thanks,
Joe

Marcus:
On my Tyros 5, I mostly use Rotary Speaker 5, which is quite acceptable to me. The slow/fast speeds and acceleration curves are pretty accurate and authentic sounding to me with this particular DSP.

I have used both a model 147 (tube amp) and Pro 900 (solid state) Leslie speakers with my Tyros 3 and Tyros 4 with the organ voice channeled through the Sub outputs. Both speakers heavy as ****, glad to part ways with them. Nice parked in the rec room at home, but too cumbersome to handle and transport as a musician ages into retirement.

Yes, definitely gave a more authentic sound as apposed to the rotary DSPs, but it depends on the individual. I have a Hammond/Leslie organist background, so I know exactly how that combination should sound, but presently running left and right light-weight powered speaker to the rotary DSPs on my Tyros. You can edit/adjust the rotary DSP plus tweak settings in the Mixing Console to fine tune the characteristics you want out of the rotary speaker/organ voice effect to suit one's taste. Okay, it would be a compromised method to get the Leslie effect, but using the effect in an arranger/style mix while you are playing, most listeners wouldn't notice.

If you want real authentic solo organ and authentic Leslie effect, you may have to lean towards an actual rotating speaker horn or a real Leslie. Again, my real Leslie days are gone and personally I am more than satisfied with the Tyros/Genos organ voices and Leslie effects. Supposedly a new Leslie and distortion effect on the Genos that I need to check out. Also a new Real Reverb DSP that might work well with the organ Leslie voices and effects.

Check out (46:00 - 1:12:36) in this Peter Baartmans demo, solo organ and organ with a style right after. Authentic enough for me.
Yamaha Genos Premiere mit Peter Baartmans - 06.12.2017 - 18:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVq81hUkoEk

Marcus

pjd:

--- Quote from: Toplayer2 on December 12, 2017, 04:03:07 PM ---Has anyone tried to use a real Leslie with Genos or other Yamaha keyboard?  To my ears, the DSP simulations are all incredibly fake sounding.

--- End quote ---

Hi Joe --

Haven't tried a real Leslie or even a Vent, but the factory DSP settings need serious tweaking. I like a slow ramp up and down in addition to slower horn/rotor speeds. Yamaha voices the rotor speed way too fast.

With some tweaking, I can get it to be acceptable. Like Marcus, there ain't no way I can physically manage a real Leslie anymore for gigging.

All the best -- pj

Flemming:
Hey Joe.
Your right - the Leslie right out of the box are not impressing! But you can do a lot of tweaking in the direction you like.

I play in a band for fun with Hammond XC3 with a Leslie 860, and that sound you will newer get :-)

For my daily-job I play (until now) Tyros 5 with a NEO ventilator II, that sound you won't get either :-)

But you can get close! Actually I've decided to play Genos without the NEO, because I by tweaking the build in Leslie in Genos, I can get so close, that it works OK - at least for 99,9% of the audience I play for.

Try to check out some of the Leslie variations - and do experiments with the settings. It is hard to give you exact advises because this is very individual, speed, acceleration, angle and so on.

I find some of the alternative Leslies better, but they miss the drive-function - even though it is very week, it is there. But you can try to put on an extra effect in with a light distortion. For some kind of music it will be usable.

Best regards
Flemming

Toplayer2:
Thank you for your replies Marcus, Paul, and Flemming. I will try tweaking the DSP settings.

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version