Author Topic: Saving Registrations on a CVP 709  (Read 9148 times)

Acr

Saving Registrations on a CVP 709
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
Hi all,
As a new member and a new owner of a 709, I've been trying to get my head round the incredible versatility of this instrument. Help from members of this Forum has been unbelievable and I am extreme grateful for the support. I am neither  a professional arranger or musician but I can get a lot of pleasure (as I am now retired) from accompanying some of the wonderful backing orchestrations on my 709. My earlier days as an amateur and "not very good" pianist is helping me and with a little practice every day, my skills (if you can call them that) are improving.
On the subject of Registrations, as I said, with real assistance from you members, I can now find the way to save my settings on the 8 memory buttons. What I have done is saved 8 tunes, each with 4 styles, to the 8 memory buttons and I have then saved the 8 tunes to a bank. To date I have created 24 tunes, on 3 banks. I notice that when I look at different UTUBE videos on the subject, the musician has only 1 tune with 8 arrangements on each bank. I didnt think I really needed to do this as I prefer to be able to quickly access the songs I want to play. What I really fail to understand is how you quickly get from one bank to another. The + and - buttons by the memory button don't seem to allow me to do this and for me to change say from Bank 1 to Bank 3 is a real fiddle. Any tips on a short cut to this would be welcome.
My best regards
Tony

Offline tangothomas

Re: Saving Registrations on a CVP 709
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
Doesn’t the display work. You get everything sorted in alfabetical order. Just scroll and click!

Acr

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
Thanks for that but I'm not clear on what you mean with the display. I know that the display in Music Finder can be sorted ai los of ways but my problem is getting into one of the banks in the Memory section. Cheers, Tony

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:54 PM »
Well,  navigating the CVP is not always easy. But with practice and by reading the manuals you will find a way that suits you.

Here I describe my workflow;

By pressing the two registration bank buttons simultaneously (+ & -) you get to Registration Bank Select. You are in the User area which means you save everything internally.

First I create a registration bank that I name A Blank. That means that it will stay on top of all future registrations. It is Orange and to the upper Left.
I use this bank everytime I want to save something straight from Music Finder.

Lets say I want to create a bank that contains 8 Jobim tunes so I search for Wave, Desafinado, Girl from Ipanema, Meditation etc. Then I save those by pressing Memory and button 1, Memory and button 2 and so on. The leds now turn green one after another.

You don´t have to fill every bank - you can have just one or two tunes in a bank if you like before you save.
When you save the bank and want to name it Jobim you press the hard disc icon at the bottom of the screen and you get two choices  Cancel or Save Here. You press Save Here.

Now the ”typewriter” window opens and you delete A Blank in the text field and type Jobim. Press OK. And you are done.
A Blank is now empty and ready for the next set of songs.

If you leave the registration area and play your jobim registrations or shut off the CVP you have to do the same maneuver again
Press the two registration bank buttons simultaneously (+ & -) you get to Registration Bank Select again. Pick A Blank. Search Music Finder for the songs you want to save.

Lets say you want to make a registration that contains Cha Cha Chas.  Follow the procedure above once more. And lets assume you will create registrations for Rumba, and Beguine and Samba. Then you will create a folder which you can name Latin and store all your Latin-registrations in there.
This is a must if you make a lot of Registrations, Big Band, Film, Pop and so on. It´s easier to navigate. The folders will be on top of your other Registrations just so you know.

So when you want to access Bossa Nova you just point your finger on that line on the display and the songs are set up in your memory bank.

The way I described working with Registrations means that you make them from Music Finder with the presets that are made by Yamaha and you use their choice of Voices and Styles. Of course you can build your own arrangements or change a guitar to an Organ in a registration if you like. But you can only change one voice out of four. You can not change two or three voices and they are saved.

But if you make a registration for only one song you can use all eight buttons to store whatever you want.
If you save a lot of songs like this it will be a long alfabetical list and you can use the data wheel to go up and down when you search for a particular song. Thats what I meant by using the display to get a song real quick.

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:34:53 AM by tangothomas »

Acr

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »
That's been a great help. I will have a go at following your procedures and let you know how it goes.
Many thanks. Very much appreciated.

Acr

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
Got it! With your help I could see where I was going wrong. Thanks for making it so clear.
Cheers
Tony

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
Good to hear. And don’t forget to save you registration to a USB-stick now and then.

I often change one setting in a MF-file and save that so I have direct access to 5 different voices. A bunch of the MF-regs you download from Yamahas homepage is terrible and I wonder if the creators have some hearing problems.

I assume you know that a lot of the styles here on psrtutorial created for other kbs can be used in your CVP. So download the sets you want ant tweak to your liking.

Acr

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
Brilliant. I will take your advice. I'm now really getting a lot of satisfaction now that I can manage my registrations.
Many thanks
Tony

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
Acr!

Perhaps you already have 70-80 songs you play regulary on your CVP.

I assume you know this so see it as a reminder;

If you are using Music Finder a lot you can save the songs you like as favorites. The star in the upper right corner now becomes the shortcut. That way you can chose songs quickly because they come in alfabetical order. And the Data wheel also works finding files fast.

Acr

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »
Yes TT I did discover the favorite stars in Music Finder and you're right, it's a great facility. Your earlier advice on how you go about organizing the banks of registrations really helped me to speed up my task.
Thanks again
Tony