Author Topic: Piano touch  (Read 7268 times)

Offline Fred Smith

Piano touch
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
I'm trying to get a piano voice that I can play like a piano, where I can vary the touch.

But I can't seem to get touch sensitivity to work. The volume is the same regardless of my touch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Re: Piano touch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
Fred, you are from Canada and you have a Genos :o ? Where the h*** did you acquire that? I, like every other Canadian, has been told to wait until February!!!!

Please enlighten me. Thanks...

- Lee

P.S. I'd help you with your question if Canada had the **** Genos, which you appear to have already!!! Very curious.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
I'm trying to get a piano voice that I can play like a piano, where I can vary the touch.

But I can't seem to get touch sensitivity to work. The volume is the same regardless of my touch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred

Hi Fred,

Did you change the Touch Sensitivity of the piano voices?

Menu -> Menu2 -> Voice Edit -> Common:
The default setting of the CFX ConcertGrand is:
Volume:  119
Touch Sensitivity
     Depth  64
     Offset  64

I changed it to the following so the piano sounds a lot softer with lighter touches:
    Depth   70
    Offset   48

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:48:57 PM by zionip »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:54:01 PM »
Fred, you are from Canada and you have a Genos :o ? Where the h*** did you acquire that? I, like every other Canadian, has been told to wait until February!!!!

One of the benefits of being a snowbird, Lee.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
I changed it to the following so the piano sounds a lot softer with lighter touches:
    Depth   70
    Offset   48

Thanks, Paul. That helps. I was making dramatic changes to these number rather than these more subtle ones.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:15:23 AM »
Thanks, Paul. That helps. I was making dramatic changes to these number rather than these more subtle ones.

Fred

Great to hear, Fred.  I tried the dramatic changes but found the subtler ones make more sense.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:16:36 AM by zionip »

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »
Figures, Fred. You had to go to the good old U.S. of Trump to acquire a Genos that should have been CONCURRENTLY released in Canada!!!!!!!!!!

I can only hope Yamaha is monitoring this site and reacts to my disgust on how poorly they treat us Canadians. As unaccustomed I am to being treated like dirt under the Yamaha corporate fingernails, I do apologize to the OP and others on this site for throwing this topic off course :).

What was the question? Oh ya, piano touch. I'll contribute in about 6 months when most of your warrantees are 50 percent done and mine is just starting!!!!!!!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Marcus

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 01:19:42 AM »
Also important to set the Genos Touch Response level to your liking as well.

Setting the Touch Response of the Keyboard
Touch Response determines how the sound responds to your playing strength. The selected Touch Response type
becomes the common setting for all Voices.
You can make the settings on the display called up via [MENU]  [Keyboard/Joystick]  [Keyboard].

Marcus

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 05:09:46 AM »
I thought most Canadians were snowbirds. I met several while living aboard my sailboat in the Florida Keys. They were all headed for the Bahamas in February and March, when I was headed back north to Maryland. Nice folks!

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Thanks Gary. I too have met several U.S. folk and have enjoyed the same.

I think our generation (personally I'm holding at 64) are slowing down the trek south because of the prohibitive cost of health care. Our system (OHIP) will only foot a certain amount of the bill. After that, we're on our own. Most Canadians refuse to pay $600 for a hospital pillow, never mind the mega-thousands for a simple appendix removal (LOL)!!

Oh-oh, we've drifted off topic again :-[ .

jgriffin

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Hey Marcus....I set these to HEAVY because I am accustomed to playing with weighted keys (that's actually what I prefer).  Are there any of the others settings related to these options that I should try as well?  Is HEAVY actually right for me since I tend to play with a heavier touch?  What is the "Fixed Velocity" about?  Thanks for your help.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
Janet, fixed velocity makes each key sound with the same volume, regardless of how soft or hard you hit the keys. If you were raised playing a piano, the hard setting is likely best. Remember, these keys aren't dampened as well as the electric or real, fully weighted keys. You can damage them if you hit too hard :).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:20:43 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Marcus

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »
Hey Marcus....I set these to HEAVY because I am accustomed to playing with weighted keys (that's actually what I prefer).  Are there any of the others settings related to these options that I should try as well?  Is HEAVY actually right for me since I tend to play with a heavier touch?  What is the "Fixed Velocity" about?  Thanks for your help.

These are your global settings, so your touch setting is going to affect all the touch sensitive voices you play. I assume the " heavy" setting, because that's how you prefer to play the piano voices on your Genos. If this setting doesn't throw off your preferred touch sensitivity to other voice types, then by all means leave your preference at the "heavy" setting.

One can also fine tune touch sensitivity to an individual voice within the Voice Set parameters and save that custom voice or save to a registration. I have to be careful commenting too much before I actual try out a Genos, because I am basing my experiences from a Tyros 5 perspective and I may of overlooked new changes on the Genos.

Marcus