Author Topic: First Gig With Genos  (Read 23127 times)

Marcus

Re: First Gig With Genos
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
Hi Pianoman,

It looks like the JBL EON 515 is already discontinued by JBL.  The EON 615 is the current model at 17.69 kg (39 lbs) each.

Thanks,
Paul
Sorry, I didn't even realize there were new EON models and the 515 series was discontinued. I was aware of the JBL One. Love the fact that all the newer speaker systems are super light weight compared to years past. Best to try out whatever system you choice to buy or suits your circumstances.

Personally, for the solo performer, I lean towards the powered speaker configuration and go for more power (or extra overhead power). Better to back off a more powerful speaker and have nice clean sound than overdriving a smaller system with distortion/clipping and ultimately burning out.

Also, because in the case of these sophisticated arranger keyboards and stereo DSP processing, I always go the stereo route with the speaker system. So if I was myself to go with these smaller array speaker types, I would use them in pairs or perhaps there might be some self-contained left/right channel versions out by now. Of course different personal circumstances are going to dictate different priorities and tastes, but alway best to give a new system a test drive before hand.

Marcus

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
A pair of Yamaha DSR112 with a DSR118 sub may make you rethink what can be achieved with a keyboard rig and PA system especially considering the board demanding dynamics that any top arranger keyboard like the Genos will demand of a PA... so far after extensive testing of many brands this setup with my rig has not been surpassed at this price and I can only imagen that the Genos will shine in this setup well worth an audition if you are in the market for a new PA system this is excluding any outboards and mixer that i would inculde....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:26:18 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Marcus

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
A pair of Yamaha DSR112 with a DSR118 sub may make you rethink what can be achieved with a keyboard rig and PA system especially considering the board demanding dynamics that any top arranger keyboard like the Genos will demand of a PA... so far after extensive testing of many brands this setup with my rig has not been surpassed at this price and I can only imagen that the Genos will shine in this setup well worth an audition if you are in the market for a new PA system this is excluding any outboards and mixer that i would inculde....

Yes, a nice combination, the DSR112/DSR118 and down my line of thinking, light weight and extra power to spare. Getting a bit heavy and overkill for my situation, but that combination in a paired system with the Genos would sound stellar in any space.

Marcus 

Offline maartenb

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
A pair of Yamaha DSR112 with a DSR118 sub may make you rethink what can be achieved with a keyboard rig
So true!

To be honest, I don't gig, so have little experience. That said, I did listen to the Bose L1 compact. They look fabulous and are great for voice (speech). For music they can't convince me at all.

Another great option is Yamaha's DXR/DXS series. This used to be the top of the line powered Yamaha speakers. But the DSR11x series is newer.

Gary brought up the issue of sound spreading over a crowd. He wrote that with the Bose the sound level was the same everywhere in the room. I don't know how the DSR11x and DXR are doing in this regard. Maybe someone can comment on this?

Maarten

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »
Maarten, the Bose L1 Compact is fantastic for music. Keep in mind, though, it is much different than a conventional sound system, therefore, you must adjust your EQ settings differently than you would with a conventional system. When properly adjusted, you will hear sizzling highs that you will never hear with a conventional system, gut thumping lows from the sub and outstanding vocals. There's always something to learn with music, regardless of how old you are - I should know. At 77 I'm still learning, which I guess is a good thing. :)

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
Somthing else to consider is the Line6 Firehawk 1500... this is a Full Range Powered PA (stereo) in one box not a conventional guitar amp which at first glance it may appear to be... there are good reports coming from TOTL Arranger owners and keyboardists so far... I did have a quick try with the Montage in a music store and the results we're very promising so over the holiday period intend to take a closer look with more time on my hands... this I can see for small to medium venues where a bigger PA would not be needed or even a practice amp for that matter... this looks to be a very promising PA with a small foot print to check out ......(I may even try the Genos through the Firehawk 1500 if the store eventually get there demo unit in)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:58:42 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline maartenb

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
the Bose L1 Compact [..] is much different than a conventional sound system, therefore, you must adjust your EQ settings differently than you would with a conventional system.

Hi Gary,

Could you elaborate, please? In what way is it different (except for the placement and direction of the speakers)?

How should you EQ a Bose L1 Compact? Increase low and high frequencies and attenuate the middle frequencies?

Thanks!

Maarten

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »
The Bose L1 Compact is preset at the factory and there is no EQ adjustment on the Bose L1 Compact. Therefore, all of the effects are set on the arranger keyboard's global EQ settings and effects settings pages.

Therefore, if the venue requires more bass and less high frequency sounds, you must lower the bass using the keyboard's EQ settings 1 and 3. In order to raise the high EQ settings, such as those needed for guitars, high-hats, fiddle, etc..., EQs 4 and 5 on the keyboard must be raised until you achieve the desired effect. For mid range sounds, piano, pan flute, some brasses, EQ 3 is the setting that must be changed.

For vocals, if you are using the onboard vocal processor of the keyboard, the Vocal Settings page offers a 2 band EQ plus a host of effect settings at your disposal.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline mark fernando

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »
Hi,
I have Bose L1 compact and three 12" powered speakers(Yamaha DBR12, RCF, Alto) and Yamaha 500 W powered sub woofer. I use them for small gatherings/parties with my friends nothing professional. We play all kind of different music. I think you may not  get same dynamics and power if you use Bose L1 or Mau1 system for some type of music you play. Sound distribution and quality wise they are good but if you play for different crowd and different venues need always extra headroom. If crowd is young and noisy I do not take Bose system as I hardly hear anything I play. So most of time I ended up using powered speakers. for an example: need good dynamics and power to play reggae, Rock, Latin, EDM type of music.... If you use Bose or other small system they sound soft and will lack in mids and dynamics.   

Thanks

Mark       

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
Mark, the L1 Compact was never intended to large crowds. it works very, very well for groups up to 100 people and provides a full rage of sounds, including excellent mid range and low end, depending upon how the Global EQ of your keyboard is adjusted.

I have used the Bose L1 PAS system for very large, noisy crowds at outdoor venues and performed a lot of rock songs. The PAS System punches out 1,100-watts and has a 10-inch, long throw subwoofer and 24 speakers in the column. It also has a remote control with a three band EQ, plus a programmable EQ system that provides about 65 EQ settings for all environments.

The drawbacks with conventional sound systems are numerous, including horrible falloff, lack of horizontal dispersion, feedback and distortion at higher volumes.

As for not being able to hear what you are playing, the only way that could happen with the Bose is if the speakers were placed in front of you and not behind you as per the user manual. I have owned dozens of monster, conventional, sound systems, all of which required a monitor for the players. Never needed a monitor with the Bose - I heard the exact same volume the audience heard.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
Agreed, Gary.

Last summer, three of us (keys, bass, and drums) played a seniors picnic outside for 300 people. I used my two Compacts and added my 15 inch home-made sub to do the heavy bass lifting. I used the T5 for piano voices only, since we had a bass guitar player and drummer. I routed the bass guitar through a DI-->SoundCraft mixer-->Bose Compacts (for a little top end)-->Monitor out-->Behringer amp-->15 inch sub.

I agree, the Bose Compacts won't (nor were they designed for) play heavier bass for crowds that big, outside - but the vocals, keys, and upper range bass guitar cut through the afternoon air like a knife. The area was about 60 x 150 feet. I was pleased! I also know a good horn speaker will project very well, but the people up front get killed. We set up in a spot where there was a table about 20 feet away. We had no complaints about being loud, like we used to with the larger and heavier Yorkville gear.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
Abby, I have used the Bose L1 PAS and L1 Compact systems for more than a decade...................
In this part of the world, Bose has outstanding service, especially for those of us who are making a living as musical entertainers. Most of the time, if you have a problem, which I never had, but I know others that did, they overnighted a replacement system to them so they would not lose a work night. I know of no other company that would do that for an OMB entertainer.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

Gary is the best, as many here know.
As far as Bose service goes. Check this out. I have the 3000 dollar L1 model 2 system.
I had an issue with distortion.. the Bose L1 consists of 5 parts.. the amp/brain, 2 satellites, and a sub plus a tonematch mixer.
Bose sent me 4 of the five parts of the system immediately.
That means I had about 5500 dollars of Bose equipment on hand. They kindly, amazingly said, send back the original system.. I forgot their wording ( this was 3 years ago ) but the wording was casually put, like no urgency... complete unheard of trust!!

This service policy is unparalled in my long life in music biz. Bose service is top of the top.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

iain

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
I have 4 Bose 802s and drive them with a peavey 3000watt amp you could lift with one finger I tried the Bose L1 great on stage but back of even small hall no sound
always looking for light alternative speakers after 25 years still no match for 802s

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »
Did you use the Bose L1 Compact? If so, did you put in the extensions? Without the extensions it would not reach the far end of a small hall - with them in place, it will reach the end of a large hall, at least that has been my experience during the past decade.

All the best,

Gary :cool:
Love Those Yammies...

iain

« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
It was the first ones to come out I don’t know what compact means but it had speakers all the way up I was not impressed but I realised that things have moved on so looking for suggestions