Author Topic: Genos: Magic or Me??  (Read 3732 times)

Offline rattley

Genos: Magic or Me??
« on: December 25, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »
I have had my Genos several weeks now. Since day one I truly believe I play and sound better on Genos than Tyros 5.  I have mentioned the rougher key surface on Genos. My fingers seem to just land on the keys better without sliding around hitting wrong notes.  Whatever the factory key touch settings are work fine for me. The super articulation voices take minimal effort from me to sound more realistic.  The changes in these voices seem to happen almost magically regardless of what I play. I finally "discovered" the big band styles in the jazz folder (go figure).  The revo drums really shine in these styles. They sound so natural and live and are mixed in at the right volume levels.  One thing I have found odd.  Some of the intros and endings use Genos exclusive voices in the melody part but not the backing track. It also isn't a voice from the OTS.  It was odd to hear that beautiful flugelhorn in an ending when my song didn't have a flugelhorn anywhere else in it.

I have also started nosing around with the mixer settings. The channel settings for the style parts intrigued me. I was surprised to see so many megavoices being used. I expected more of Genos's exclusive voices to be used instead. I wonder.....Are these the same megavoices that have been around or are they custom made for Genos? My next Genos journey will be to explore how all the DSP's work. It looks pretty extensive with lots of layers. I'm still a bit intimidated by all the assignable knobs and sliders and have left them alone so far. Before Genos launched there was much speculation on its capabilities as a synthesizer...........even comparing it to a Montage.  I remember reading one of Bachus's  posts saying Genos fell short on this. Is anyone using Genos for sound creation? This is another area I hope to explore too. I've always found sound creation/construction fascinating.  I use FL Studio and Reason on my computer for that now.

Clearly there is some magic in Genos.  Perhaps some in me too?  Having an instrument you love to play makes you play more.  I count my blessings for being able to have one now!   -charley

Marcus

Re: Genos: Magic or Me??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 01:05:44 AM »
I have had my Genos several weeks now. Since day one I truly believe I play and sound better on Genos than Tyros 5.  I have mentioned the rougher key surface on Genos. My fingers seem to just land on the keys better without sliding around hitting wrong notes.  Whatever the factory key touch settings are work fine for me. The super articulation voices take minimal effort from me to sound more realistic.  The changes in these voices seem to happen almost magically regardless of what I play. I finally "discovered" the big band styles in the jazz folder (go figure).  The revo drums really shine in these styles. They sound so natural and live and are mixed in at the right volume levels.  One thing I have found odd.  Some of the intros and endings use Genos exclusive voices in the melody part but not the backing track. It also isn't a voice from the OTS.  It was odd to hear that beautiful flugelhorn in an ending when my song didn't have a flugelhorn anywhere else in it.

I have also started nosing around with the mixer settings. The channel settings for the style parts intrigued me. I was surprised to see so many megavoices being used. I expected more of Genos's exclusive voices to be used instead. I wonder.....Are these the same megavoices that have been around or are they custom made for Genos? My next Genos journey will be to explore how all the DSP's work. It looks pretty extensive with lots of layers. I'm still a bit intimidated by all the assignable knobs and sliders and have left them alone so far. Before Genos launched there was much speculation on its capabilities as a synthesizer...........even comparing it to a Montage.  I remember reading one of Bachus's  posts saying Genos fell short on this. Is anyone using Genos for sound creation? This is another area I hope to explore too. I've always found sound creation/construction fascinating.  I use FL Studio and Reason on my computer for that now.

Clearly there is some magic in Genos.  Perhaps some in me too?  Having an instrument you love to play makes you play more.  I count my blessings for being able to have one now!   -charley
Hi Charley
I would have to agree with your assignment, although I have had minimal use with mine over the past few days. The key's surface and slightly heavier feel of the Genos keybed is fantastic. Everything speaks more sound quality and instrument realism. The Revo drum kits in the Jazz and Big Band are outstanding. I am really excited to delve deeper into this arranger into the coming weeks. So much to go over and a lot of upgrading work needed for my previous Tyros 5 custom work and registrations.

I purchased Reason 10 myself just to explore REX2 files that I can incorporate into multipads and style creation. I have used Recycle in the past, but the more comprehensive Reason 10 package can still accommodate all my REX file needs, plus tons of other features and apps. I am also interested to see if my previous Tyros 5 audio multipads can somehow be made into a multi-looped REX 2 multipad file that can easily sync and follow tempo changes of a style or MIDI. A lot of enjoyable work and fun into the future. This pro arranger does certainly deliver.   

All the best this Holiday Season and coming New Year for all,
Marcus

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 02:30:11 AM »
Charlie, sounds as if you are having too much fun for an old man. ;)

Merry Christmas, old friend,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline rattley

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 03:41:28 AM »
Thank you Gary.  A most Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Carol. -charley