Author Topic: Using external USB midi controller plugged into Genos  (Read 5185 times)

Offline markstyles

Using external USB midi controller plugged into Genos
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
I love my Genos.. However I also use it as a midi controller for some Kontakt libraries and virtual instruments.  There are some virtual instruments which make use of extensive CC events.  One company makes this great Tech Control Breath controller - a USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller 2 http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-bite-controller-2

From going thru the Genos manual, I don't see how it could accommodate an external Breath controller which used a USB connector..  The above controller puts out four streams of continuous CC events, to control a modeling technogy virtual instrument (SWAM, and Sample Modeling).  both are amazing real time processing virtual instruments, no samples used.   Am I missing something with Genos archecture for multiple external CC events coming in and merging with it's own kbd, and sliders? I'd rather add live CC event modification, than draw it in later..

I got a tech question into the manufacturer, that perhaps I could edit Logic Pro's environment, to read two USB midi controllers at once.. 

I asking here if anyone has any info about Genos capability in this area.. I'd appreciate it.

SeaGtGruff

Re: Using external USB midi controller plugged into Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »
I doubt you can just plug a USB MIDI controller into the Genos, but if you get a special USB-to-MIDI interface to convert the USB-MIDI controller's signals to MIDI, you should be able to connect it to a MIDI In port on the Genos, then I think it should be a simple matter of adjusting your MIDI Receive settings on the Genos. The type of interface I'm talking about is something like a Kenton MIDI USB Host MkII, Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI 2, Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI Router, or certain iConnectivity USB MIDI audio interfaces that have the ability to act as a USB Host.

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »
It's not a standalone solution like the Kenton, etc., but a Raspberry Pi can bridge 5-pin DIN MIDI with USB MIDI:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/send-midi-from-usb-b-to-5-pin/

This is more of a DIY solution and may not appeal to everyone.

-- pj

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Of course, if you're already connecting your keyboard and your controller to your computer anyway, then the least expensive solution would be to use a free utility program to route the controller's MIDI messages to the keyboard. On a Windows PC, you can use MIDI-OX. On a Mac, you can use MIDIrouter.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:57:10 AM »
Thanx guys