Author Topic: 2 days in and latest impression  (Read 10021 times)

Mikey

2 days in and latest impression
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
Ok had for 2 days now and used non stop.

Have to be totally honest and say I am NOT impressed.
I really miss my Tyros5 which is away for repair and can't wait to get it back.
Not sure whether to return this or not?
Only plays music and styles from unreliable flash drives and not from hard drive, music finder missing, most styles and voices sound the same as my tyros 5, takes longer to get where you want on screen.

I'm really considering purchasing a spare tyros 5 instead.

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Marcus

Re: 2 days in and latest impression
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
Sorry to hear your disappointment with your Genos. Are not not flash drives more reliable then external hard drives anyway? You could of just transferred your files to the Genos User Drive if you were concerned with flash drives.

Ironic how most people were pushing for a touch screen in the lastest Tyros upgrade model. Of course menus would have to replace buttons. One just has to get used to the different interface. I am actually a button person, but I will adapt to the touch screen. At least it is huge and less chance of wearing out navigation buttons.

Here I am anxious in anticipation in getting my Genos next month and you are anxious to unload yours. To each his own, but certainly the Tyros 5 is a great arranger. Wish you the best result.

Marcus

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
Most USB sticks are very reliable and as you place a USB under Genos to act as another hard drive you do not get ware and tare of pulling it in and out. The internal memory is not going to let you down like a Hard Drive might as there are no working parts. As for the voices they sound a lot better and more alive. The new revo drums are a lovely addition. The Playlist function is so much better than music finder and is what everyone has been asking for for a long time. You can load your music finder from Tyros and Genos will convert it to Playlist.
   I think you must give yourself time to really appreciate what you have.

gerarde

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »
The hard drive on the Genos is a Solid State hard drive 58 gb in size.
You say it only plays styles from the USB drive.
If you are able to play a PRESET style, you are playing from the hard drive.

Musicfinder is replaced with PLAYLIST and is much better.
I had a TYROS 5-76 and a PSR S970 and found the sounds were much better on the Genos.
That is subjective to ones ear though.

And I find it easier to get around to what I want on the screen once I got used to the Genos.

Gerard

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
Have to be totally honest and say I am NOT impressed.
I really miss my Tyros5 which is away for repair and can't wait to get it back.
Not sure whether to return this or not?
Only plays music and styles from unreliable flash drives and not from hard drive, music finder missing, most styles and voices sound the same as my tyros 5, takes longer to get where you want on screen.

While I share your concerns about the touch screen menus, in fact, the Genos plays music and styles from the solid state User drive as well, which because it has no moving parts is much more reliable than a hard drive.

And I loved the irony of complaining about an "unreliable" keyboard which is working, while longing for the "reliable" one which is "away for repair".

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »
I have a friend who has had his Genos for a few weeks but kept his Tyros 5 to sell latter. He did the right thing and did not play his Tyros 5 while getting used to Genos. He is now ready to sell his Tyros 5 to a friend so thought he would have one last go and noticed how flat it sounded. The one thing you have to do is give yourself time and read up the manuals if you need to. In no time you will be quite comfortable using your new keyboard.

Mikey

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:05:55 PM »
Noted thanks
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:07:17 PM by Mikey »

Mikey

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
While I share your concerns about the touch screen menus, in fact, the Genos plays music and styles from the solid state User drive as well, which because it has no moving parts is much more reliable than a hard drive.

And I loved the irony of complaining about an "unreliable" keyboard which is working, while longing for the "reliable" one which is "away for repair".

Fred

If you try read this again properly, you'll see I said unreliable flash drives NOT keyboard. 
Please. Read carefully before commenting. 
Flash drives are unreliable. 
You cannot play mp3 files from internal drive, yes you can play internal styles preinstalled. 

Also even after playlist  converted,  yamaha have told me I have to move all my files to the exact same position and tell the playlist where the songs are.

This will take hours. 
N.b. Yamaha support are NOT up to date on the operations of the new genos they told me. 
End of rant.

R

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
You certainly can play MP3 files from the internal 56Gb memory which now takes the place of the Hard Drive.
  As someone who has never used the music finder I can't comment on what you were told. I understood that you just saved your music finder file to USB and then went to the playlist section and loaded it into Genos which then makes a playlist for you. Have you tried this. If they were in order I would imagine they would remain that way. I have not heard any complaints about this as yet.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:16:18 PM »
Seems to me that the hard drive on the Tyros was the weakest part of the link so to speak.  And I listen to the complaints about the lack of a hard drive on the Genos.  We've never had a hard drive on the PSR S series and I find no problems with file management.

I think once folks get used to having no hard drive, you will see things differently. (better)

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
You cannot play mp3 files from internal drive, yes you can play internal styles preinstalled.

Also even after playlist  converted,  yamaha have told me I have to move all my files to the exact same position and tell the playlist where the songs are.

This will take hours.

1. I have no problems playing MP3 files from the User drive.
2. Yes, if you move your user files (styles, multipads, etc.) to the User drive, you need to update your registrations, but Murray Best's Registration Manager makes the process easy. It too me minutes, not "hours", to convert my 1438 registrations. And even if it did take "hours", what's that compared to a lifetime of enjoyment of the keyboard?

To me, there are lots of annoyances with the Genos, but the SSD User drive is not one of them. It's the keyboard's best feature, and well worth the time to take full advantage of it.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »
I think at the moment Fred the little annoyances are because we are finding we have to do some things differently but then this is Genos and not Tyros. We had to find our way round that and so we have to on this one. As with any new product there will be glitches and as they get reported to Yamaha they will be sorted as has always happened. Patience is all that is needed and frequent use of the new system. I am sure in a short while everyone will adapt to it and enjoy those gorgeous voices and styles. Even the third party styles come to life .

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:23 PM »
I believe the larger problem is most people, by and large, want their new keyboard to sound and behave like the old one did - Well, it just doesn't work that way. It's a new keyboard, not your old T-whatever or PSR-whatever, it's a Genos. There are lots of new features to explore, different ways of doing the same thing, often easier and faster, and lots of incredible new styles to audition and fit them into your performances. Unfortunately, most folks really don't take the needed time to thoroughly explore their new keyboards. I guess that's why we are always busy answering questions on this forum.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »

Musicfinder is replaced with PLAYLIST and is much better.
I had a TYROS 5-76 and a PSR S970 and found the sounds were much better on the Genos.
That is subjective to ones ear though.

And I find it easier to get around to what I want on the screen once I got used to the Genos.

Gerard

I’m in agreement with the above.  In my opinion the Genos is way ahead of the Tyros5 in sound. I left the T5 for a Pa4x and I could have easily passed on purchasing a Genos if they kept the old Music Finder in the form it was in.   Besides the Genos sounding so much better being able to add Registrations to a Playlist is the proverbial “goose that laid the golden egg.”   8)

There is a learning curve but that’s some of the fun.   Haven’t been to bed before 1:30 Am since getting the Genos, not sure if I’ll ever catch up on my sleep at this rate.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:05:44 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Ray

mikecruiser

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
When I received my Genos, I unpacked it, set it up and played it through the Genos speakers.  Hmmm!  Sounds okay, I thought. 
Unplugged the Genos speakers and then played it through my Rokit studio monitors.  Hmmm!  Sounds very good, I thought.
Then last Saturday, I had a gig and played it through my Lucas PA system. Wow!1. This sounds amazing, I thought.  It does!!

Offline Will49

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »
When I received my Genos, I unpacked it, set it up and played it through the Genos speakers.  Hmmm!  Sounds okay, I thought. 
...then played it through my Rokit studio monitors.  Hmmm!  Sounds very good, I thought.
...I had a gig and played it through my Lucas PA system. Wow! This sounds amazing, I thought. It does!!
It's obvious that speakers play a big part, whatever the instrument, and I imagine that perceiving a difference/improvement to the sound will happen when taking any keyboard from one set of speakers to another. A bit like photography... no point buying a very expensive DSLR body, then sticking a mediocre lens on the front of it!! 😉

Kind regards,
Will
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:05:19 AM by Will49 »