Author Topic: Genos "Live Control" section is not opened for new threads, so...  (Read 8753 times)

Offline valimaties

Hi all.
Tonight I remarked a thing is not very good about Live Control Sliders. A big BUG....

For Slider 9, assigned as KBD level volume, (Left, and those 3 Rights parts) if we have initially different volumes on those parts, when we use that slider, to increase or decrease volume of all parts in the same time, it will reset all parts volume to the same value... :(

Youtube Video
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:34:13 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

SeaGtGruff

Re: Genos "Live Control" section is not opened for new threads, so...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
This sounds familiar, and then I realized it reminds me of some discussions about the Live Control knobs on the PSR-S970/770/670. Don't those models behave in a similar manner if you use their Live Control knobs to adjust the overall balance between their Keyboard parts and their Style parts, or something like that?

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »
This sounds familiar, and then I realized it reminds me of some discussions about the Live Control knobs on the PSR-S970/770/670. Don't those models behave in a similar manner if you use their Live Control knobs to adjust the overall balance between their Keyboard parts and their Style parts, or something like that?

I don't know Michael, I didn't own a PSR ....

On Tyros 5, the Assignable slider had by default Keyboard Volume. This behavior did not happened on T5...

Vali Maties - Genos

tyrosman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »
i see you are having fun ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
Hi all.
Tonight I remarked a thing is not very good about Live Control Sliders. A big BUG....

For Slider 9, assigned as KBD level volume, (Left, and those 3 Rights parts) if we have initially different volumes on those parts, when we use that slider, to increase or decrease volume of all parts in the same time, it will reset all parts volume to the same value... :(

Youtube Video

That makes that slider useless for the keyboard volumes, all the carefully balanced sounds we take ages to achieve are destroyed by moving that slider  :O !!!  As if the usual jump in volumes on first moving the slider would not be enough to resist using it in the first place.
Are you sure this did not happen with Ty5? I remember something odd happening with the keyboard slider which put me off using it. I find it difficult to understand how Tyros5 would have had "sophisticated electronics" to give proportional volume changes to the 4 keyboard voices, which Genos  now does not have.
John
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:45:29 PM by jwyvern »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
On Tyros 5 I remember Volumes on Right Parts was not movable when Assign Slider was moved. In the top of display it was a label where it appears the Keyboard volume, and only that was increased or decreased, so I think there was like a General volume of right parts. Like in a mixer, I have 8 channels for microphones or lines, and a Main Volume. Main Volume will changes volumes on every channel, but increasing or decreasing the existing level, not reset to louder, because that's what is happening on Genos, when you move that slider, it will set all volumes to louder of them...

@tyrosman: yes, very :( when you found bugs over bugs, and missing over missing, you don't have anymore fun... :(

but is an awesome keyboard (after they will resolve bugs and add missing features from T5 :))) )

PS: Anyone has 1.02 firmware installed?! It is the same behaviour on that firmware or something happens to this last firmware?!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:44:15 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Online EileenL

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »
If you read the manual you will see these sliders are assignable so are different to Tyros 5.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »
I don't know Michael, I didn't own a PSR ....

I had a look in the PSR-S970 manual, and I think what I was remembering is the option to use Live Control knob 1 to balance the sound between R1 and R2, so it isn't the same thing.

pvk

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
Is it possible to assign other controllers to the sliders than the one in "Live Control" Slider menu?
I would like a CC11 on one of the sliders, and not the volume (CC07).

Offline valimaties

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
If you read the manual you will see these sliders are assignable so are different to Tyros 5.

No is not different at all. Why? Because on T5 also Assign slider is the same (as deffinition -assign) as those from Genos. Genos has 9 assignable sliders and Tyros only one. That is the only difference, as deffinition.
The behaviour is different, IMO, because they assign VOLUMES of those parts and not Expression of those Parts. That is the difference, and YES, in this case the Volume assignable is useless. :(

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
You could be right that the slider should work on expression, that should preserve the relative volumes of the 4 keyboard sounds while bringing the overall level down.
In which case the Genos setup might be a simple mistake made in software easily rectifiable in a future update. 
John

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
Everyone keeps mentioning that bug fixes are resolvable by software patches. That may be true, but my experience has been that most companies, especially Yamaha, seldom fix anything that's "annoying." They fix things that completely make one part of the keyboard not work at all. I would never hold my breath waiting for ANY company to send through real significant software "fixes." They never seem to listen to users about annoyances.

Case in point: the PSR 3000 used a dark blue background with red fonts for a part of the display. Everyone complained bitterly about that. I'm sure it could have been fixed with a simple software patch in the font-color code. Yamaha did nothing. It would have cost them pennies to fix it and send the patch to all clients. What good is a display that's very difficult to read?? Yamaha didn't care.

Just my two cents worth.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Online EileenL

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
As I see it page B will give you all the settings to adjust all parts and style. When you have them where you want them if you need an overall increase in volume use the Volume knob. A lot of us would set up our registration banks to suit this way.

tyrosman

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
i can not wait till next year as every one knowes Yamaha will be on top of these bugs and they will be sorted in updates