Author Topic: First few days of owning a Genos  (Read 5001 times)

AndrewKeyz

First few days of owning a Genos
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
I've had my Genos for the last couple of days. My first proper arranger keyboard since given up my old Technics KN1000 years ago.

First observations:

• Wow, I didn't realise the screen was THAT big! It's almost like an iPad on its own. Impressive.
  • The overall sound quality is excellent. I got some new JBL speakers instead of the stock ones, think it was a good move
  • Mostly the reeds and horns seem to be ultra realistic. The articulation is like magic at times.
  • Guitars are good. Pianos good. Strings seem a bit underwhelming from what I've used considering the rest of the tones are so good but haven't tried much so far.. I'm sure there is more use there if combined with a pad or so.
  • The styles are amazing and very inspiring. Some box you in a bit to play just one particular song but the fact there is so much available and potential for adding more styles is incredible. I need to figure out how that works and if it is even possible to add Tyros styles and if they sound good?
  • The multipads are incredibly useful and fun. I love adding some "oohs" and "aahs" which progressively get more dense during a song.
  • The freeplay styles are superb and very suitable to Christmas carols and musical stuff. I wouldn't mind having more free play styles.

Found myself playing a 2 hour version of Purple Rain and just kept on improvising and changing things up. Very inspiring.
I'm already getting my hands on some of the sheet music/chords of the song styles in the Genos as I really want to play them (I wanna Dance with Somebody / Summer of 69)
Ordered the Les Miz piano book.

Amazing machine. Will hopefully increase my ability with it every day of use.
It's expensive but worth the money and nothing quite like it I reckon.

If I can play it for 4 years until there is a Genos II and continue to get so much fun out of it then it's cheap!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:56:20 AM by AndrewKeyz »

The following users thanked this post: michael

Offline voodoo

Re: First few days of owning a Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
Thank you for this interesting report. My experience is very similar.

Which JBL speakers do you use? The LSR 305? I plan to buy these.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »
AndrewKeyz I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying your new Genos and for interesting and useful report of your first impressions.

Congratulations. Enjoy it.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
Pleased to hear you are enjoying your Genos. Styles from previous Yamaha keyboards will work and sound fine.
So will registrations and Multi Pads.

AndrewKeyz

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
Thank you for this interesting report. My experience is very similar.

Which JBL speakers do you use? The LSR 305? I plan to buy these.

Uli

Yes Indeed those ones! I got them in white and they look quite nice and sound great.
I was going to get the matching JBL 10 inch subwoofer maybe next year but to be honest I'm not sure it is really necessary!

AndrewKeyz

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
Pleased to hear you are enjoying your Genos. Styles from previous Yamaha keyboards will work and sound fine.
So will registrations and Multi Pads.

Thanks Eileen. I will have a look into that for sure. Many great sounding Tyros 5 styles out there from what I've heard.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
Yes Indeed those ones! I got them in white and they look quite nice and sound great.
I was going to get the matching JBL 10 inch subwoofer maybe next year but to be honest I'm not sure it is really necessary!

Thank you for this feedback. This confirms me to do it the same way.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

tyrosman

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
me also i cant wait to get min next year im holding off  till the Rush is over and the Packs are all converted :)