Author Topic: how do I copy usb user drive?  (Read 10160 times)

ekurburski

how do I copy usb user drive?
« on: December 05, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
removed usb stick from 3000 and inserted into computer to copy over to computer.  computer doesn't see the stick.  tried different computer.  same thing.  Usb stick I purchased from PSR Tutorial works fine.  What am I doing wrong?

Earl

Offline travlin-easy

Re: how do I copy usb user drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
Earl, you may have a defective USB stick - they do go bad sometimes. I've had it happen.

Now, can you put the USB stick in your PSR-3000 and read it? If so, then the PC should recognize it. If not, it is dead.

When you put the USB stick in your PC, you will have to wait a couple minutes for your PC to recognize it. Depending upon how much information you copied onto the USB drive, this could take up to 5 minutes. When the drive is recognized, a window should appear on the PC screen asking what you wish to do.

Hope this helps,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
Gary, the stick I'm trying to copy is the one with the 3000.  Of course it works fine in the kb.  I just pull it out and try to insert in computer and nothing shows up  Thought it would be a good idea to back up the stuff that you had on the stick when I got it.

Earl

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »
Earl, I should have told you about sticks in general - the keyboard must be turned off before removing the stick, or it WILL be damaged. Same with the PC. The PC has a feature on the lower right hand corner of the PC display in Windows where there is a small, upward arrow. When clicked, it will open a winder showing the USB drive. You must click that icon in order to safely remove the USB drive, or it will be damaged.

You may try turning off the PC, then reboot with the drive inserted and see if the PC recognizes it using this method.

Hope if work, but if it does not, here is a link for you to download the entire contents of my USB drive, which is pretty much the same as the one I sent you with the keyboard. https://app.box.com/s/6hygtzvckdnm3e2fbfc7

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:01:49 AM »
You know Gary, I have seen that about sticks and have never paid any attention to it in all these years and have never had a problem with the sticks in the past.  Oh well, maybe this time but the kb was off when I removed it.  I have tried booting the computer with stick inserted but it just not seeing it.  Will play with it some more tomorrow but imagine I'm going to have to copy from your box account.  And of course that brings up the question.  is the first file USB 2015 with the 7500 files the copy of the usb drive?  Also, are all of the styles you have on this account sff1 or will I need to figure out which are which and convert sff2 files to sff1 to work on the 3000?  Boy you have a lot of stuff there! BTW, I went ahead and set a box account .  Looks likeI really didn't need to but i did anyway.

Earl
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:30:24 AM by ekurburski »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:55:04 AM »
Hi Earl,

when your USB stick works fine with the PSR-3000, but does NOT show up in Windows Explorer, it could be that Windows cannot assign a Drive Letter to the USB stick, automatically.

I recommend to open Windows Disk Management Window: Press [Windows key] + [R] (to open the "Run" dialog), type diskmgmt.msc and press [Enter].

THEN connect your USB stick to the PC. After a few moments, an additional Drive (e. g. "Disk 1" or "Disk 2") should be shown that eventually has NO DRIVE LETTER.

IF this is the matter, you can RIGHT-click into the right side of this additional Drive (below the BLUE line) and assign an unused Drive Letter (e. g. "U") to it.

Then you can close the Disk Management Window, and with a little luck, the USB Drive should be shown up in Windows Explorer. :)

Best Regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:09:59 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 12:25:50 PM »
Did you try all the usb ports in your computer?
I recommend you to use a port which comes directly from the PC Motherboards - in the back of the PC.
Front usb ports can cause drive faults because of loose connections.

Also, even if the drive opens, some viruses can hide the file and folders in it and make it look like an empty drive.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:27:03 PM by s_cristi »
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
Earl, all of those styles will probably work in the PSR-3000. I haven't checked lately, but pretty sure they all are compatible.

There is so much on that drive that it will take years to go through all of it, but it took years to get it to that point as well.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:37 PM »
dled Garys USb disk from box account to two usb sticks.  Havent tried them in the kb yet but will. 

New question.  As I'm browsing around I see there are the main onboard styles, user styles and disk styles.  Which ones are on the stick?  Can I see haw much space I have availabe on the stick on the kb or only when on the kb? 

Earl

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »
Hi Earl,

did you try my suggestion above (to look into Windows Disk Management for the "lost" USB Drive)?

Best Regards
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

ekurburski

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
overover
not being smart but yes, no, maybe.  I pulled it out and tried it but didn't really understand what its saying.  will try again tomorrow and over weekend.

Earl

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:31:29 PM »
dled Garys USb disk from box account to two usb sticks.  Havent tried them in the kb yet but will. 

New question.  As I'm browsing around I see there are the main onboard styles, user styles and disk styles.  Which ones are on the stick?  Can I see haw much space I have availabe on the stick on the kb or only when on the kb? 

Earl

On your keyboard, "main onboard styles" are called Presets. You will see a PRESET tab at the top of your display
All other styles are called "user styles" because some user made them. If they're in your User drive, you'll see the USER tab highlighted at the top.
If they're on "the stick", the keyboard calls this drive USB1.

Styles take up so little space, you will never run out of room on any of today's USB sticks. But if you really want to know the space available, look under Function>Utility.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan