Author Topic: Import samples in Psr  (Read 5785 times)

Kareem

Import samples in Psr
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
Hello the community, i will soon buy a psr670 or 770 and i need to know how it works to put own soundfont samples in it.
I think with yem software you make a pack where you put the samples in. my question is how many maximum voices you can put in the psr ? or how many empty user voices there is in the psr670 ?  maybe there is more user voices in the 770 because of more memeory?
Thank you for some info about this and sorry for my bad english.

Offline DerekA

Re: Import samples in Psr
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
It's not like say the E series where each voice has a numbered slot, and there are only a certain number of slots. On PSR / Tyros / Genos, voices are stored as files and folders in an operating system so there is no restriction on the total number (apart from max number of files per folder).

The restriction is in the total size of the sample memory. So the number you can pack in is totally dependent on the size of the individual samples.

Genos

Kareem

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »
Thank you DerekA
so for exemple i have a folder of 30 mo size with 50 synthesizer sounds, i can make a pack in the yem and i can play the 50 sounds in Psr 670 ?

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:55:14 AM »
Hi Kareem,

• PSR-S670 has only (approx.) 32 MB of Expansion Wave Memory,
• PSR-S770 (approx.) 160 MB and
• PSR-S970 (approx.) 512 MB.

The Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) supports up to 128 Packs. Each Pack can contain up to 128 Custom Normal Voices PLUS up to 128 Custom Drum Voices (simultaneously).

This means that the theoretical maximum are 128 * 128 = 16384 Custom Normal Voices PLUS 128 * 128 = 16384 Custom Drum Voices (a total of 32,768 Custom Voices). ;)

BUT of course it depends on the total Memory size of the particular instrument, how many Custom Voices can be installed.

Best Regards,
Chris

P.S.
As mentioned above, the S670's Expansion Memory is very small. In addition, the S670 has no Display-Buttons (A - J) for a quick operation. Therefore, I recommend you to choose the S770 as a minimum (better S970 :) ).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:06:50 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 12:34:19 PM »
So for exemple i have a folder of 30 mo size with 50 synthesizer sounds, i can make a pack in the yem and i can play the 50 sounds in Psr 670 ?

YEM stores the wave data in its own internal format. You can't guarantee the actual size of the YEM pack based n the soundfont / WAV sizes. So it's possible that your 30MB soundfont will fit on the S670, and it's possible it won't.

But with YEM you can pick and choose which voices to export to the keyboard installation pack. So if you loaded a (say) 40MB soundfont into YEM, and it was too big to fit on the S670, you can deselect the voices you don't want until the pack will fit. YEM displays a small indicator to show the size of the installation pack based on your current voice selections.
Genos

Kareem

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
Thank you overover and DerekA, the good info is that we can put many many sounds in the psr.
My samples are very small but i will wait to have more money to buy the psr770 for more sounds in the yem and also the screen and xtra buttons for control.
thanks to you two and until next time, for sure i will need your help again!