Author Topic: PSR-E433 Amplified Acoustic Guitar Sound  (Read 6145 times)

Offline SciNote

PSR-E433 Amplified Acoustic Guitar Sound
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
It has been said that the guitar sounds on the PSR-E4-series keyboards are, well, less than optimal.  So, I wanted to see if I could come up with something better.  I think this comes pretty close!  The sample I recorded here is actually two separate recordings which I blended together.  The first part has some Classic rock inspirations from Yes and Heart, and then I fade in some jazz/blues improv, and have a little fun with the pitch-bend wheel to try to add to the realism.

https://app.box.com/s/mtbrl42vsbnu2fr74kqo71qzo583f0o0

Here are the settings.  They should work on any PSR-E4-series keyboard with the two main sounds, but of course, the actual sound numbers may be different than what they are on the E433.

MAIN VOICE:
---------------
DynNyln (39)
Volume .......... 72
Octave ........... -1
Pan ............... 64
Reverb .......... 64
Chorus .......... 52
Attack ........... 64
Release ......... 64
CutOff ........... 80
Resonance ..... 64

DUAL VOICE
---------------
Jazz Gtr (43)
Volume .......... 80
Octave ........... -1
Pan ................ 64
Reverb ........... 64
Chorus ........... 52
Attack ............ 64
Release .......... 64
CutOff ............ 80
Resonance ...... 64

Reverb Setting: 03 (Hall3)
Chorus Setting: 3 (Flanger1)

In actuality, the CutOff setting was actually 79 when I recorded the samples, but I rounded to 80 here.  I doubt there would be an audible difference in the sound.

I did use a sustain pedal on parts of the Classic rock section.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:16:56 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

SeaGtGruff

Re: PSR-E433 Amplified Acoustic Guitar Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
I enjoyed that very much! The last two-fifths or so, when you started using the Pitch Bend Wheel, was especially guitar-like. :)

Offline SciNote

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
Thanks!  Yeah, with a sound like a guitar, since a guitarist will often bend the pitch when playing, using the pitch-bend wheel definitely adds to the realism.  Another thing that can make many tones sound more guitar-like is to simply play the notes E, A, D, G, B, and E in a quick, accumulating succession, because those are the notes of the six strings of a guitar.  And, that is what I do at the beginning of the recording!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

pquenin

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
Thank you for sharing this, I love Runabout by YES. I have the sound on the PSR-E453. Too bad that there is no modulation wheel, I think it's indispensable for guitar playing...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:55:36 AM by pquenin »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:31:28 PM »
Hi Bob,

Nice job and thanks for sharing your experiences with us. This sounds really far better than the default guitar sounds on the PSR E4xx. I’ll try that as soon as I get a portable keyboard again, either an used PSR E433 or new PSR E453.

Would you venture the same thing for electric guitar? These PSR E4xx are really missing a nice distorted electric guitar sound IMHO.

@pquenin : which parameter are you using the mod wheel for in a guitar sound? I thought the pitch bend wheel was sufficient. Also, can you not use the Live knobs to modulate the distorsion on the PSR E453?

Best Regards  to all,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

pquenin

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:57:14 AM »
@Vinciane : when you play a real guitar, you often bend the strings but also add some more subtil vibrato at the end of a music phrase or on some keynotes, and personally I love to bend and then add some vibrato just after.  You can simulate this with the pitch-bend wheel and modulation wheel (that most of the time control the vibrato depth) on a keyboard.

I have not tried to use the live knobs to modulate the distorsion, but it will not solve the lack of a modulation wheel.
I was a bit disappointed that Yamaha have not made it possible to control the modulation (CC01) with a live control knob.

I agree that the PSR-Exx are missing nice distorted electic guitar sounds, I have tried to stack diiferents sounds and use the DSP to elaborate a decent sound but I can achieve a good result. That's also why I am tempted by a PSR-S670 because I love playing electric guitar on the keyboard, and this keyboard have great distorted electic guitar sounds.