Author Topic: Help needed to back up Tyros 5 hard drive to PC  (Read 12103 times)

Offline MINKYCATS

Help needed to back up Tyros 5 hard drive to PC
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
Hi guys and gals

I’m having trouble trying to back up my Tyros 5 hard drive to my Windows 7 PC and am hoping someone will be kind enough to help.

So far, I have managed to connect the Tyros 5 to the PC using the A - B type Printer Cable. If I then hold the Musicfinder button and switch the keyboard on the Workstation shows up.

If I click on the Workstation icon there is a magenta coloured disc shown.

At this point I get stuck. Exactly what do I need to do next.

There appears to be no files in that folder.

The instruction to copy files to the pc means nothing to me and I can’t work out how to do it.

What I really need is an idiots step by step list of instructions  on how to proceed.

I have no doubt that, as always, help will be on the way fairly soon from you wonderful and clever guys and gals.

I do feel like an idiot asking such questions but I am just totally at a loss on how to proceed.

Help and advice will be much appreciated.

Trevor ((MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Re: Help needed to back up Tyros 5 hard drive to PC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
Hello Mynkycats,

The easiest way is to disassemble the Tyros 5's hard drive (3 screws on the right below the Tyros 5) then pull the drawer gently, unplug the USB plug to release the cradle completely from the Tyros and plug it on the PC as an external drive.

See in French : https://app.box.com/file/17792199312

It's much faster.

Then we reinstall it.

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:04:31 PM by Jean-Pierre 33 »

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:12:08 PM »
Hi Jean-Pierre33,

Thank you for your advice and suggestion to remove the hard drive from the Tyros etc. I have no doubt that this is a good way to copy the hard drive but I wouldn’t feel confident enough to actually dismantle the keyboard to access the hard drive.

I am really looking for a way to backup the hard drive without undoing any screws and taking things out.

Best wishes

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »
Hi This is how I did mine and it worked fine preserving all my links.

I know some of you have had problems doing this in the past. If like me you have a lot of articles saved to your hard drive and have collected them over the years the last thing you want to happen is to lose them. Hard Drives are fairly reliable but there is always that one time, or you may format by accident.
Firstly you will need a cable with USB(A) one end and USB(B) the other. In other words a printer cable. Connect up and have your computer switched on and your Keyboard switched Off. At this point I would suggest you switch of your modem, anti-virus and screen savers. This prevents any interference with the file transfer. Now, holding down the Music Finder Button switch keyboard on. In a few seconds your keyboard screen will show you it is connected. Now go to your computer and you will see Tyros5 HDD. Right click this and from the drop down menu select "Copy". Next thing to do is select your" C " drive root directory. Right click and from the drop down menu select "Paste”. According to how much information you are saving this may take several hours. This is well worth the time as, in case of problems with the keyboard Hard Drive you have all your hard work saved.
Now that you have a backup of your Tyros 5 and you want to install it to your new USB stick
Go to the device that the backup of T5 is located on, navigate to the folder which will be listed as TYROS5HDD showing on the left hand side of the computer screen, you need to click on this folder to expand it and on the right hand side will be a list of all the folders and files contained therein.
Select the very first folder, hold the shift key down on the computer keyboard and scroll right down to the very last folder still holding the shift key down, click on the last file using the left button of the mouse and then release the shift key and mouse button, all the files and folders will be highlighted in blue, now right click with the mouse on any part that is blue and from the drop down menu select COPY,
Go to your USB stick and Press Paste
When finished remove the keyboard from the computer in the usual manner by use of the “Safely remove hard ware “ icon.
Now switch your modem back on, antivirus and screen savers.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:50:55 PM »
Hi Eileen,

A big Thank You for your instructions. It is the first time that I have seen such a step by step guide in detail.

I’m now feeling that I might just crack this by following your guide.

Thanks again and I better get off to work on that.

Kind regards

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »
Trevor,

I use a similar system to Eileen, but with more shortcuts.

1. I back up my T4 hard drive regularly and have never had a problem with interference from other devices, to I've never had to switch off modems, screen savers, anti-virus, etc.
2. I use Ctrl-A to select all files rather than her click on the top, scroll to the bottom and shift-click method.
3. I drag the files from their window to the backup folder, which to me is easier than copy and paste.

My backup system is therefore:
1. Power on keyboard while holding down the Music Finder button (my keyboard is always connected to my PC, but you might have to add this step).
2. Press OK to the message (this should come up immediately. If it doesn't, there's a problem with your connection to your PC).
3. Wait for File Manage to be loaded on your PC. This can take up to a minute, but no more. My PC always complains about the formatting of the Tyros hard drive, which I ignore. If File Manager doesn't autoload, then do it manually.
4. Click on Tyros hard drive (TYROS4HDD) in the left window of File Manager. This will display all your folders in the right window.
5. Press Ctrl-A. This will select all the files and folders.
6. Drag this selection to your backup folder.

The backup of my 13,000 files takes about 45 minutes. Your mileage may vary.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
Hi Fred,

Thank you for explaining your method in so much detail.

Looks as if it achieves the same objective as Eileen’s method but with slight variations.

I have plenty to work on now. Not feeling on top of the world today so this project will have to wait till tomorrow.

Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »
Good evening MynKitcats,

We do not disassemble the keyboard at all to extract the DD.

There are only 3 screws to remove once and for all in order to free the DD drawer which was perfectly designed by Yamaha to be removable.

Now, the other methods work but they are much slower and block the Tyros during the duplication. My solution allows you to play on the Tyros while the DD data is copied directly to your PC.

You choose.

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:03:31 AM by Jean-Pierre 33 »

Offline Ingar

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
In a few seconds your keyboard screen will show you it is connected.

I have to wait a while for that to happend. Maybe two, three minutes or so. Been that way with all my  Tyros 3, 4 and now 5.
Regards Ingar

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
I have to wait a while for that to happend. Maybe two, three minutes or so. Been that way with all my  Tyros 3, 4 and now 5.
Regards Ingar

Funny, the T1 was instant, but not the later versions.

Fortunately, the Genos is back to instant recognition

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
The T1 was indeed recognized almost instantly, The T4 took about a minute. The T5 can take up to 3 or 4 minutes before the pc recognizes it. If the Genos is recognized instantly as well then my guess is that the reason is the size ánd format of the disk space. It would explain why the Genos is reconized instantly again :)

I would go for either Eileen's or fred's method of backing up. They are basicly the same and more important, involve NO risk of damaging the connector/cable/hard disk/Tyros uh, or your back from crawling under the Tyros or turning it upside down ;)

Peter

Offline Ingar

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
Funny, the T1 was instant, but not the later versions.

Fortunately, the Genos is back to instant recognition

Fred
I bought an extra original HD drive for Tyros 5 on Ebay which is useful for storage .. Easy to swap them.
Regards Ingar

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
Thank you all for your advice.

I appreciate the advice of Jean-Pierre 33 but I would rather not interfere with the hard drive assembly. Knowing me I'd get into difficulties or damage something as Xeenix has pointed out.

Xeenix I am persevering with the instructions from Eileen and Fred at the moment but I cannot get my computer to recognise the keyboard. The Tyros 5 gives me the USB host screen Ok when I turn it on by holding down the Musicfinder button while I press the on switch. But the computer comes up with Error Code 43 which basically seems to indicate that either The Tyros 5 is not working properly (which cannot be the case). I did telephone Yamaha support but they just said that it should work and couldn't offer a solution.

Ingar It doesn't matter how long I wait the Tyros 5 HDD will not show up correctly on the PC. I like your idea of an extra original HD drive for Tyros 5 but I am not very technically minded on these things.

I am going to try uninstalling the device (keyboard) and start again. I may have better luck. Otherwise, I think I will have to abandon the idea.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
Trevor,

Reading through your reply I think the problem might not be with the Tyros 5 if your pc comes up with that error code. Did you try the easiest way of solving the problem by completely rebooting the pc (power down)? Sometimes if you try too many times connecting and disconnecting USB devices the pc will choke on it and will not recognize usb devices anymore until you have restarted the pc. Another option to try perhaps is checking if the USB cable is the problem by exchanging it with a different one (perhaps the usb printer cable if you have one or one from a nearby friend to test this). I think the Yamaha USB driver for the Tyros is for sending and receiving data midi only but I'm not entirely sure. Installing it however when you haven;t yet can't hurt.

There are several other ways fixing this USB problem in Windows but instead of writing them all down here have a look at the link below. If you are not that familiar with windows device manager this article can help out since it has examples of how to check.

https://www.lifewire.com/43-errors-explained-2619238

hope it helps solving your T5 <--> PC problem,

Peter

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
I found you always need the latest drives which you can download from the Yamaha site. Check you are using the right kind of cable to.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »
Xeenix I thank you for your advice and I will try powering the PC down as you suggest. I’m getting a bit fed up with it now. I have tried setting a restore point for a week ago and the Tyros HDD does show up. But I can’t find a programme to open the .mfd folder to select the files. The problem is with the PC. It’s a Windows 7 32 bit system. I think it’s probably out of date and needs replacing.

I have checked the cable and tried using another one, Both are the A to B type printer cable and I’m using the USB to host socket on the rear of the Tyros 5.

Eileen I have checked on the cable and reinstalled the drivers but it’s made no difference. I am very grateful for your help.

I may try just copying the Musicfinder files to a USB stick using the keyboard itself.

Might be a good excuse to get a Genos and a new computer.

Kind regards

Trevor

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
I think you better give a rest for now because you are getting a little confusing there Trevor. What I understand from your last reply is:
1) You put windows back at a restore point from a week ago and now the Tyros shows up <- isn't that problem solved concerning the Tyros not showing up?
2) You only want to backup the MFD files on the Tyros hdd? <-- windows file explorer or in fact any file manager can find and copy *.mfd files back- and forward to your pc. These MFD files are very small if these files are the only files you are concerned with then copy them to your usb drive. You will be done in no-time, problem backing up solved as well.
4) Windows 7 is perfectly capable of handling this kind of connectivity between the Tyros and your pc. The only thing that is wrong is the operating system's status which is probably messed up over the years. A new installatuion of windows will solve the problem. Most pc's nowadays have a automatic restore option to the state your pc was when you first bought it.

But if you want and can spend some serious cash and looking for an adequate excuse to tell your family you really "need" to ... I can tell you on forehand that they will not go for it ;)  Still wishing you good luck though. We man need new toys every once in while :D

Peter

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »
Hi Xeenix,

I think you’re right. There are a couple of options you have outlined.

The main reason for wanting to back up the Tyros 5 hard drive is in case I buy a Genos, but as I say there are other ways to proceed without using the computer.

The Workstation did show up after the restore point was set but a subsequent try to get it to show up failed again with the Code 43 error.

Peter, I really appreciate the time and effort you have put in to help me try and reach a solution. I am 76 and I am lacking the patience to move forward with this at the moment. I think I would rather spend my time actually playing the Tyros as I get more pleasure from playing.

I’m pleased to say that my family would support any purchase I make at my time of life so we shall see what happens on that front.

A big thank you to all of you who have made valuable contributions to help solve my problem.

Trevor

The following users thanked this post: XeeniX

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 09:58:07 PM »
Trevor,

You are welcome and I fully understand the "sigh, enough of this .... " feeling :) Hope it all works out for you, with our without a Genos and/or new pc. Life's too short to stand still for too long while missing out on opportunities that can enrich that same life :)

regards,
Peter

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
You can not open MF files on the computer. They have to be loaded into the keyboard.to show.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
Eileen why not?

Tools like MusicFinder Manager and MusicFinder Viewer from Jørgen and Michael have absolutely no problem with opening/reading those MF files. Anyway, Trevor only wanted a copy and that shouldn't be a problem at all. Not very useful though I think having a copy of your Tyros MF file when planning to upgrade to a Genos. From what I understand the old MF is replaced by that Playlist function so not sure if it will be able to read the old MF format? If that is the case then you could still use them on the Genos. You would only have to use the "MusicFinder to Registration" function in Murray's registration manager and voilá all MF song entries in one click into either 8 songs per registration (10 slots not implemented yet in YRM)  or (even better) 1 song entry per registration handing you the option of building them to full registration banks with all your prefered song settings. The Genos playlist is capable of importing registrations right? You woudl end up with a nice full playlist with all your old MF settings :)

regards,
Peter

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
Eileen and Xeenix

Sorry I’m not able to comment. If I do get a Genos, which is quite likely, I shall start afresh I think.

Something to look forward to and keep my mind active.

I congratulate you Eileen on your quick adaption to your new  Genos and pleased to know you are enjoying it.

Trevor