Author Topic: a new Genos in design ?  (Read 19206 times)

Seagull29

a new Genos in design ?
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:16 PM »
Hi,
Some "indiscreet" words of  demonstrators of Genos in France suggest that "Genos 2" is already in design since 6 months !  Yamaha makes us a remake of the series "Tyros" with Genos! Case to follow in 2 or 3 years!   :o ;D

Offline MBedesem

Re: a new Genos in design ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
Oh No!

I am not fully recovered by all the Genos speculation, criticism and false hopes!

Regards,

Michael

Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
This to me would not make any sense and I would not believe anything unless directly from Yamaha.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
Oh, man, I love tech like crazy, but this is waaaaaaaay too soon.  :)

-- pj

Seagull29

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
Hi, 
I agree but when T5 arrived in 2013, Genos was in design since 2011 ! This was confirmed by a serious demonstrator when he presented Tyros 5 ! For Yamaha, time is money and they must keep the first place ! :-\

Offline Del B

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 04:05:40 PM »
I don't think it's too soon, the Yamaha Corporation are looking at the next 15-20 years and how they are going to keep on top of their game, if they don't then they will end up like Technics and diminish. I very much doubt that a demonstrator would reveal what Yamaha  are upto although some of the demonstrators are on the development team. The Genos is now out there and  now Yamaha just need to keep software updaated and produce the expansion packs for the Genos to create more revenue whilst the development team can concentrate of their next flagship of either PSR Series or/and the Genos 2.

Seagull29

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
I very much doubt that a demonstrator would reveal what Yamaha  are upto although some of the demonstrators are on the development team.

Of course but I'm living in France and the demonstrators are not in the developpment team. Genos was designed in England and, as you know, French people is la little bit "rebel" and often indiscreet !  ;D

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
Oh, man, I love tech like crazy, but this is waaaaaaaay too soon.  :)

OK, let me clarify -- it's way too soon to get into the discussion of Genos 2 here:D  :D Man, we are worn out.

Yamaha have a product roadmap 5 to 10 years out. That's what good companies do. Not really news.

I'm still waiting for the next boat to arrive with G (v1).  :D

Have a good weekend and don't forget to play -- pj
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:19:37 PM by pjd »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
Development on new models will not start until they see how the present one is being accepted and which direction the next one should take. Don't believe anyone who says they have inside information because they usually don't. They all know the penalty for leaking things and would not risk there jobs.

Seagull29

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Hi Eileen, may be you're right in USA but in France, it's not the same.
And remember T5, when this model has been on market on 2013, Genos was in design since 2011. And the demonstrator told us about Genos (but he did'nt know the name yet) in december 2013. This boy always works for Yamaha and is in the staff of Yamaha France !
And France is only 4,2% of Yamaha market, not very important.

Offline Oldden

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »
Hi,
Yes there will be a Genos 2, and then a Genos 3 followed by a Genos 4. There's will be new PSR's , new korgs, new Roland's. It's all a question of how long you want to wait, there will always be a better keyboard, car, TV you name it. Should you wait?. It makes more sense to me to buy the best you can afford now, enjoy it, you are only here once. As far as I know.
Oldden

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »
Yes Oldden I fully agree. Genos is a lovely keyboard.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
Genos is fantastic.
Hopefully, there will be a Genos 2, one day, even more fantastic.

And I'm very happy  ;D

Superjuan

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »
Instead of making a Genos 2, Yamaha should spend more time debugging The Genos and making more. In the USA there is a waiting for them. They don’t stay on the stores.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 09:50:03 PM »
Believe it or not but Genos is not full of bugs. I have been using mine now for a few weeks and for me it is fine. We must remember that this is a new keyboard and there are different ways of doing things with the touch screen. Once you get used to it its a doddle.

Offline Denn

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
I've said it before- Play the thing and not worry about what maybe. Wonder how many have had Tyros or PSR and really got everything out of them? It is a musical instrument for making music not something to grizzle about what it can or can't do or what it should or should not do. I have had my T4 now for 5 years and I am STILL learning what it can do. Sorry, I don't mean to upset anyone, just my thoughts. I think I said the same about the T5 before it came out. Still love my T4. Regards, den.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:47:51 PM by Denn »
Love knitting dolls

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 02:25:26 AM »
If true, Great news !   that means that Yamaha is working for future and better keyboards.

For the time being, i am enjoying Genos and getting ready to sell T5.    If/when new Yamaha Genos 2 is out for sale, will consider at that time.

thanks for the news.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Bachus

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 04:30:50 AM »
2022 at earliest...2021

What more would a typical arranger player want thats not in the Genos?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 04:41:38 AM »

What more would a typical arranger player want thats not in the Genos?

I think the most requested feature (that would require a new model as opposed to just OS enhancements) would be seamless sound switching.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline metcam

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 05:15:08 AM »
Believe it or not but Genos is not full of bugs. I have been using mine now for a few weeks and for me it is fine. We must remember that this is a new keyboard and there are different ways of doing things with the touch screen. Once you get used to it its a doddle.

Amen!
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Bachus

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 05:28:51 AM »
I think the most requested feature (that would require a new model as opposed to just OS enhancements) would be seamless sound switching.

Fred

Nice feature... i think, it could be done with a OS upgrade, according to pjd the processor has enough power left... so if they kept the sss to the 4 main pannel voices and a single dsp effect/voice it could just as well work with this genos..

Altough it might be a considerable amount of work for the Yamaha programmers..  it should be possible with an OS upgrade... 

Why do you think this can’t be dome with the current hardware?

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 06:17:28 AM »
Of course development teams start work immediately on the next product. The typical corporate pattern is that some continue on support of the existing model and some begin work on the next. In fact, some may already be mapping out the next before the current model is even released. No great insight there.
By the way Seagull29, Eileen is very definitely not in the USA. I can’t believe she missed pointing that out herself! ;D
Mike

Offline andyg

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
I'm possibly (probably?) the only person on here who has been on the R&D teams designing organs, pianos, synths and keyboards.

Going back 40 years, when products had a shelf life of around 2 years, there were multiple teams working on new products. One team were working on finalising the 1978 prototype, another working on the 1979 models and another working on the new digital technology for introduction in 1981. And by that time another team was working on the V2 version of that digital system for 1984. By 1984 they'd started on the next generation digital system and so on.

Without giving too much away, nothing's really changed, apart from a dramatic drop in the number of makers and economic conditions combining to make the shelf life times longer - maybe 3 years for keyboards these days. So they do have a 'road map' of what's ahead, and you can be sure that they already know what will be around in two to three years time. And they'll take note of how current models sell, of course, as well as listening to what end users have to say. And they'll weigh everything up before deciding specifications.

One of the first things I was told in R&D was "Although YOU may think something's important, or even vital, it doesn't mean that it's important enough to go in! Your voice, though important, is just one of many and you may well be in a small minority. YOU must think of what goes into a product as being of the maximum benefit to the maximum number of customers." I often think of that when I read 'wish lists' on all forums! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline mikf

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
Exactly Andy. I never worked on keyboards or musical instruments, but led large development teams of up to 1000 engineers and scientists for over 30 years, and the protocol is the same. Some supporting current, some working on the next generation and some researching technology that might be years away from being in a commercial product.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 10:45:30 PM »
Hi mikf,
  If you look under my picture you will see I am from Essex in the UK.

Offline mikf

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 12:23:32 AM »
Eileen
I knew but I was referring to Seagull missing that and assuming you were in the USA.
Mike

Bachus

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 06:47:34 AM »
I'm possibly (probably?) the only person on here who has been on the R&D teams designing organs, pianos, synths and keyboards.

Going back 40 years, when products had a shelf life of around 2 years, there were multiple teams working on new products. One team were working on finalising the 1978 prototype, another working on the 1979 models and another working on the new digital technology for introduction in 1981. And by that time another team was working on the V2 version of that digital system for 1984. By 1984 they'd started on the next generation digital system and so on.

Without giving too much away, nothing's really changed, apart from a dramatic drop in the number of makers and economic conditions combining to make the shelf life times longer - maybe 3 years for keyboards these days. So they do have a 'road map' of what's ahead, and you can be sure that they already know what will be around in two to three years time. And they'll take note of how current models sell, of course, as well as listening to what end users have to say. And they'll weigh everything up before deciding specifications.

One of the first things I was told in R&D was "Although YOU may think something's important, or even vital, it doesn't mean that it's important enough to go in! Your voice, though important, is just one of many and you may well be in a small minority. YOU must think of what goes into a product as being of the maximum benefit to the maximum number of customers." I often think of that when I read 'wish lists' on all forums! :)

I have quite a lot of experience in development of high end electronics..and software... for naval purposes..

And times have changed, for most products there isnt a single development team anymore...  there is sepperate teams for hardware... and most of the time the software is semi module]ar, with different teams working on sepperate projects..  i am quite sure this is also the way yamaha works..

Finishing touch for an Arrnager key i suppose, the engineer team doing the final integration of all the sepperate parts into a final product, this is often the lead team..  and then there is the musical team that will bring new sounds.. amd another tea, for new styles...

What features make a final build, relies on several things, like stabillity, usefullness, reasources required.. and probably quite a few more along these lines...

One thing however never changed, development of Genos2 started before the release of the Genos...i dare bet my little pinky on that..