Author Topic: Wish- ability to use mega voices as a lead voice  (Read 6865 times)

Offline markstyles

Wish- ability to use mega voices as a lead voice
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:09:36 AM »
Mega voices are designed to be played by the Styles, or a DAW, with modified velocities. Trying to accurately play the mega voices by hand is almost impossible, because velocity will increase loudness, then at some point, trigger a new sample, then again adjusting volume.

I don't think it would be hard to for Yamaha to write some code, that would allow a slider, to move between the different samples, and ignore the volume changes of the sample This would make the mega voice, able to be played live.. 

I have recorded hand playing mega voices, then fixing velocities, to get a very usuable result.  It would be an extra feature for the Genos.

Offline pjd

Re: Wish- ability to use mega voices as a lead voice
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 02:45:45 AM »
Hi Mark --

I agree.

One of the electronic projects on my to-do list is a MIDI event processor that receives MIDI from a Genos (or other Mega Voice equipped Yamaha keyboard) and sends MIDI back to the keyboard. The processor implements key switching like one would find in a software virtual instrument. So, the keys in the lower octave, for example, would enable articulations instead of playing musical notes.

I think there is a lot to be tried along these lines. I built an Arduino MIDI processor that automates guitar pitch bends. One button press and the script on the Arduino sends a pre-canned sequence of MIDI pitch bend events. Perfect bends every time.

As more people learn to code for themselves, I hope that manufacturers add a scripting/coding capability to their keyboard products. Korg has taken one step in this direction with the Prologue and its oscillator application program interface (API).

All the best -- pj