Author Topic: Who plays their Genos  (Read 9668 times)

Offline Oldden

Who plays their Genos
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
Hi,
Hands up, how many people sit down and just play their Genos's. Everybody seems to be adding new voices, styles , registrations and getting it to work over wifi. It used to be you bought your keyboard, dug out your music books and just played. Or am I just getting old and perhaps it's all too complicated now.
Oldden

Offline alans

Re: Who plays their Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:06:47 PM »
Hi Oldden

Well I for one have been playing my Genos,and a very enjoyable experience is is too.It is very simplistic to say "just sit down and play" when it is a new keyboard,there is a certain amount of "learning " involved to find ones way around, but that is all part of the experience.I,for one have not loaded in new voices or or styles,apart from what was transfered from my T5 and the Yamaha bonus playlist,it is as it came  out of the box.

A happy Genos player 😁😁

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »
I play it. I had it up and running, with my T4 registrations transferred and my sheet music displaying on the iPad, within 30 minutes.

Yes, there are new features and new setups to explore, but the reason to have the instrument is to play it.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Hi Oldden,

After I received my Genos, I hooked it up and started playing with all of its Preset voices and styles immediately.  Since I did not own a Tyros model, I did not have any burden in transferring Tyros music finder and registrations to Genos.

Then from this forum, I started to see questions popping up about transfer of music finder, registrations, new playlist files, USB drive assignment etc.  That was when I started to learn that there are some legacy but useful goodies, plus new features that can be used on Genos for enhancement and convenience during performance.  I do not mind learning these new concepts, and as a result play Genos a bit less in order to improve for the future.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Oldden

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, is it worth learning all in intricacies of your new keyboard before plunging into something new in case somethings which are already there are overlooked.
Oldden

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
I buy my keyboards to play them but I also like to make them my own by tweaking certain things. I like setting up my own registrations using my own combination of sound mixes and also adjusting styles for certain songs. It is all part of the fun.

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies, is it worth learning all in intricacies of your new keyboard before plunging into something new in case somethings which are already there are overlooked.

Hi Oldden --

I think there are as many learning styles as there are individual people. That was a big lesson as a parent.  :) Our son and I couldn't be more different than the way we approach a new toy, system, whatever.

All the best to ya -- pj

Offline Oldden

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »
Hi,
I am in my seventies, my daughter is in her fifties, then I have grandchildren and greatgrandchildren and they all seen to have different values in both ways learning and things they need to learn. To me I find it becomes harder to learn new ways of thinking . Myself If I want to play "rocking around the Christmas tree" for example I press a suitable style and off I go. I'm not sure I want to learn the finer points of the operating system, I just want to sit down after I learn the keyboard system as I bought it, and play.
Oldden

Offline Bob88

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
   After a rocky beginning, I am becoming more and more comfortable with my Genos.    Hopefully we will soon  see some new Fred Smith videos.  Bob

Offline markstyles

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 11:58:40 PM »
I tend to read up on them, try out things, etc. But I also spend some of that time just playing.. 

I prefer to just play with hardware/software, and figure it out myself.. I keep a list of things I'm not getting. and on the 'study' days, I look into them..

We all learn a lot just by playing and having fun..  but we also need to set aside some  time to read up and study, the esoteric functions and points of an instrument as complex as the Genes..

I suspect we all approach our new instruments, in slightly different ways..  Of course we got a great site here, where we learn things by others posts..

Marcus

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 12:19:50 AM »
I will play mine next year, when I actually get one. No problem, learning a lot now from this forum and everyone else's experiences.

A lot of my Tyros 5 custom work and registrations are integrated with various purchased expansion packs, which the Genos versions are still in the process in getting upgraded in the coming months by Yamaha.

I will spend the first weeks upgrading my Tyros 5 voice registrations, styles, multipads, and MIDIs, then learning as much as possible to the full potential of all the Genos features, editors and functions.

Interested now in working with REX files and the Genos YEM, now that a lot of the Tyros 5 memory limitations were addressed with the new Genos platform.

Lastly, going to try more serious arrangements, vocals and recordings. The Genos now has some very high studio quality sound.

Regards, Marcus 

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 12:47:26 AM »
I do a combination of playing, experimenting and setting up the keyboard.  The first day I got the Genos I played it most of the evening, but when I found a style or voice I liked I saved it. I've got some Christmas gigs upcoming, I deicded with the Genos to start fresh and using registrations/playlist feature for those gigs   I'm ready to go with the Genos I've got 70 registrations in place and all are in a playlist.   I've spent some very late nights playing I've probably only got 5 hours sleep each of the last 3 nights but enjoying every minute playing.    I'm really blown away by how easily Genos integrates with Songbook plus puling up lead sheets via registrations.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

DavidB

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
I play mine a lot. I moved across some custom styles and my registrations on the first day I had it, set up the pedals and have only played it since. Other than making a few adjustments from time to time, I hardly spend any time at all worrying about getting styles from here there and everywhere. I may be the odd one out but each time I've bought a new keyboard it's the quality of the new styles that help convince me. The old styles (apart from custom ones to be reworked) can stay right where they were with the instrument they came from.

I do plan to add a couple of conversion packs when they're converted for Genos but other than that I just want to play and attempt to make music. Some of the new instruments, the Flugelhorn for example, just blow me away in their quality. Unfortunately the pianos less so but I think that might be a speaker thing. Anyway, yes, I just play :)

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 09:28:36 AM »
It depends on my mood, and my goals.

Sometimes i can just sit and play along the lovely styles of my T5.
Other times i dive deep into the T5 to create a new performance.
Or do some recordings.

But when i receive my Genos, the first thing i will do is just sit and play for hours.
And hours, and days, and maybe even a whole week, just playing and enjoying whats there.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »
Myself If I want to play "rocking around the Christmas tree" for example I press a suitable style and off I go.

Oldden,

This is still possible with the Genos, of course! It's still a "plug-and-play" instrument, that sounds absolutely fantastic. It translates my intentions from my fingers very well to the sounds (better than the Tyros in my opinion).

And, if you want to delve in and change things, that's possible as well. But you don't have to if you don't want to.

Maarten

Offline valimaties

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
The sound from Genos is absolutely changed from Tyros5. Nothing sounds like Tyros 5, neither Legacy voices.
For me is not only sit and play, is more like "sit-tweek-play", but tweek means almost all my styles, because nothing sounds like Tyros 5 from my custom styles.
There are two things I can make:
1. Try to search good voices to fit to midi events (expression, aftertouch, etc) already in style parts channels...
2. Rewrite styles (entirely, or parts of them) with Genos factory voices.

I knew thats will happening... that is the first thing I though when I want to buy it so earlier...

Bellow sounds, it is the new phisical and software configuration of keyboard (buttons position, touch screen, sliders and knobs with their assignments, new registrations operation and playlist feature, etc) that will have to learn because definitely is a quitely different from earlier models. For someone who doesn't have Tyros is better because they learn from the beggining, they don't have to compare with T5 or T4 or earlier  :) For me there are things I love and others, who have been changed I don't like...

Regards..

Vali Maties - Genos

Lloyd E

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
Playing the Genos is what it's all about. Some buy a keyboard to see how many things they can do with it and
spend most of their time in the menus. I am along in years and I love to just play. I have always thought that
was the real reason to buy and own a keyboard. Lloyd

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Hi

I cannot wait to get into the Genos,  but ever since last week collecting it, I have been down with the most dibilitaing cold ever. forever  coughing  ughhh!! Hate It !! :-[
Aches and pains all over. Hope next week to get some milage In.
At least I will be ok for Christmas. :)
john
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline valimaties

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
Playing the Genos is what it's all about. Some buy a keyboard to see how many things they can do with it and
spend most of their time in the menus. I am along in years and I love to just play. I have always thought that
was the real reason to buy and own a keyboard. Lloyd

There are some users from some (universal) countries which have luck. Like USA (with country music or Pop, Soul, R&B, Dance, etc) or european Nord countries like Germany or other. Yamaha already include in its boards styles made for known songs from that countries, so you can use a keyboard to play when you buy it, directly, only sit and play.
There are also some countries, like mine, Romania, or others, like India, etc, which none of all brands includes styles for those countries's music. So we have to make it. To make styles for our music we have to "open piece by piece" the software of the keyboard, to found what functions help us to make those styles sound better.

You lucky guys... :P

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline manuel

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
I play my Genos all the time, and like Eileen, I make my own registrations, many I imported from my Tyros5, BUT, I have gone through each one to either replace sounds, and or make modifications like volume balances, EQ, FX, etc....I basically never use the OTS or the MDF or Playlist, I like to do my own choice of sounds that could be single layer or split..now, that I have 76 keys. I also modify some voices, perhaps a little more Release, or filter, etc...And also customize the styles I use by changing little volumes, EQ, Pan, or Instruments, or mute parts, either preset or song styles.

I will do some experimenting with the Playlist to see how can I use it of if is a function I would care to use.

I already installed ALL my premium Packs, plus all the expansion Packs I have from the PSR S970 and one that I made myself. Everything works like a charm....!!!
The best part is that with all the Expansion Packs I have installed, I still have almost 60% of the Flash memory available.....Amazing !!!!

My 2 Cents

Manuel

My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
Manuel,

You may want to experiment with the Playlist feature.   I’ve set registrations up bu then I put them in a Playlist and they can be put in any order you choose.  Playlist makes registrations all the more powerful than they already are. I just finished my latest group of Christmas registrations for an upcoming all Christmas music gig. 
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline manuel

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 07:35:37 PM »

Hi Stephen

I will try today !!!
Thanks for the tip

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel