Author Topic: Yamaha Survey Time  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Keyboardist

Yamaha Survey Time
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
OK folks
Here is the Annual Yamaha Survey time !
Keeping with Yamaha only;Please list your best Yamaha arranger keyboard experience and least favorite yamaha boards that you owned; that didn't meet your expectations
Rated from 10 to 1 ; 10=Highest rating ;D   1= Poor >:(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:20:10 AM by Keyboardist »
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline PWB

Re: Yamaha Survey Time
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:01 PM »
As a beginner to arranger keyboards I purchased a PSR S970 about 18 months ago (I did not want to splash the cash on a Tyros at that stage as I was not sure that I would take to it)

I have been blown away by how good this keyboard is, and for the price it has to be a 10 out of 10 from me.

My only niggle is that as a 61 note keyboard I have had to adapt some of the chord positions that I play on the clavinova piano and will definately look to upgrade to a 76 note keyboard next - but after my experience with the PSR S970, this keyboard will most certainly be a Yamaha.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
My best Yamaha experience to date is owning the Genos. It is by far the best Yammy to date. I have had every keyboard since the 6700 which was a great keyboard for its time. Then went to the 7000, 8000, 9000 Pro, Tyros 1,2,3,4,5. Also 950 and 970 I have enjoyed every one.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:57:41 AM »
I, personally, have never disappointed by any Yamaha arranger keyboard, every!

Gary 8) 
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Ed B

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:09 AM »
Keyboardist
What useful purpose does this thread serve?
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:31:18 AM »
Ed
With all the arranger keyboards that people buy from Yamaha; opinions show what we really think of them down the line and got the most enjoyed experience that they have had from the best to the least.
People who also cant afford the most current board might get an idea from the comments of a past board owner enjoyed.
Every once in a while its good to take a look back at what brought us here today and why we buy these things in the first place.

Craig
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:33:46 AM by Keyboardist »
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:58:40 AM »
PSR S970...great keyboard for the $$$...only niggle, for me, is the keybed.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
Genos, the best yet

Cheers
Terry

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
Just getting Into the Genos and it Is far superior to the Tyros 5
Clarity and depth you name it it's got it 8)
The only downside it It is black and shows the dust more easily and the screen gets grubby little fingermarks all over It ;D
Still waiting for the  Tipsters dust covers :P
Get your screen clean with anti-static record cleaner!!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:38:59 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
Hi

In 33 years:
B 35 /  B 55N / PSR 6300 / PSR 620 / PSR 740 / Tyros 1 / PSR 3000 / Tyros 3 / PSR S750

In 2014 I decided to downsize... Built-in speakers and size matters... Even though 99% of my playing time is for fun... and at home...
Being a mediocre musician and a poor singer I have never used the vocal harmony in my previous keyboards, therefore I decided to go for a PSR S750.

And this suits me fine! Like all the previous models did!

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

ekurburski

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
Just got my used 3000 and it's the best yet.  Started with toys in the old 400 series with mini keys & thene went to psr 500, and 740.  Still have the 740 a I learn the 3000.

Earl

Offline SciNote

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 09:09:28 AM »
My progression of Yamaha arranger-type keyboards would be the PSR-500, PSR-510, PSR-520, and now the PSR-E433.  I am not counting the Yamaha D80 home organ and DX-7 synth I owned decades ago, as those are different categories of keyboards.

I actually sold the DX-7 synth to buy the PSR-500, which was the first home keyboard that I saw that I felt was superior to the DX-7 in many ways. And it was the first moderately priced keyboard that offered the ability to combine sounds, set the octave of each combined sound independently, add effects like reverb, and split the keyboard -- and do all this with a useable amount of polyphony.  It also offered a multi-track sequencer similar to that which is on the current PSR-E4-series, though with only about 3500 notes instead of about 19000.  It was a very good keyboard for its time, and if you find one in good shape for a good price today, it would still be a nice starter keyboard that would grow with you.

The PSR-510 was a kind of unique keyboard that added some features and sounds to the 500, including a rotary-encoder to set the parameters.  Strangely, however, Yamaha reduced the available memory for the onboard sequencer to about 1600 notes or so.

The PSR-520 brought the line to a new level, with a multi-feature LCD display screen, higher quality sounds, and DSP effects.  But, also strangely, Yamaha reduced the number of melody tracks for the onboard sequencer from 5 to 2, but I wasn't doing much recording at the time, so that didn't bother me much, then.  Also, while the 500 and 510 could combine two voices for the split/left side of the keyboard, the 520 (and, as far as I know, most successor keyboards) only provided one voice for the split/left side.

I got the 520 back in 1996, and I didn't get a new main keyboard again until 2013.  One reason was that most of the Yamaha keyboards in this price range after the PSR-5-series keyboards were discontinued only provided two registration buttons per bank, which to me, is very limited.  Only when I saw the PSR-E433, did I find that they finally included four registration buttons per bank again.

While the PSR-E433 does not have some of the features of the PSR-520, such as multi-pads and a variety of DSP effects, it does add features such as filter and envelope generator control, live control knobs, DJ patterns, arpeggios, and USB outputs.  I recommend it and any of its successors to anyone who wants a great sounding keyboard at a great price.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
 :)
Hello,

So far the best one is the s970,, have had the old psr640, the 3k, the s910.
Again the totl tyros 5 outdoes the previous, ty2, ty3,
Not counting the dgx650 as not classed as a keyboard per se.
Way down on the list about a 3 is the piagerro, nvp80,,76 keyboard.   Still have it and using as a teaching machine.
Although the Genos will top off in ratings, am not jumping on it this time around.  Hopefully, the next 970 will incorporate
some of the voices and styles.   Do not play anything else but Yammies.... :)

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes