Author Topic: Genos and the best Daw  (Read 31927 times)

Offline Oldden

Re: Genos and the best Daw
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »
Hi pjs,
I had SOL2 running on my Windows 10 laptop a while ago, I got it from a link on XGWORKS user group and It ran fine. It's a shame Yamaha never got to develop it or sell it in Europe. Entering chords and styles on a grid was a doddle and when recording and playing back anything it never lost a control code. Happy Days.
Oldden

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
Come on Joe
If you want to keep up with the tech ,you have to go Win 10 and a decent multicore computer these days.
I am 66 now and I will keep up when computers go Quantum leaping or It maybe me Quantum Leaping instead!! Who Knows!! ;D

Another Sonar Refugee!! :-[
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:00:33 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »
John,

It will be a long time before I move to Windows 10 (Only when I'm forced to).

I know some people don't care about their privacy... but I'm not one of them.  That's why I don't use Google Chrome either.

I've considered staying the XP as a dedicated MIDI machine (and not going online)

BTW... I sold 3 Atari TT030 machines to pay for my S970. Now I'm running my Atari software with an emulator on Win 7.  There are some unique MIDI applications that have never been produced for the PC or Mac.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:36:05 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »
I try to stay anonymous by joining the masses Joe ;) Feeding them so much data together with the rest of the world that they get overwhelmed :p It's imo the only way to stay as anonymus as possible if you still want to stay on the internet :)
I do get why you do/try it though.

Did you already have a go at the challenge of converting/adjusting Genos EDM styles? I leave those alone in my conversions. Don;t have a clue about EDM ;ike Jan and you do.

kind regards,
Peter 8)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »

I am 66 now and Inside 30 years I will not be here .
So what If the Internet is looking!!
As long as your bank accounts are safe and you are well protected.
As long as we use technology for tools only, nothing to worry about.

There Is smart meters now that can tell when your home or not , I phones which send info back to the government.
Even through the Tv s now things are watching you and your habits to send you what they think you like.
Who knows what else.
It all comes down to "WHAT IF" :o ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
Cubase  Elements is the way to go!!! 8) for the moment

How do we not know that someone might pick up Sonar and release It cheaper.
Sonar of course will work for a good while. Even Mixcraft may have a hand In It . Nobody knows yet but daw companies are scrabbling to get new customers at half price.
I still think It is best to hold back for a year as new offers will surface and Elements will best to get used to Cubase as they might go bust!! who Knows!! What If :P ;D
There is a Sonar gap to be filled by a shrewd business man or Ex Sonar programmers

One Daw closes another Daw will open!! 8)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:21:11 PM by ugawoga »

Tyros Trax

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
Band In a Box 2018 version has just arrived as well by PG Music-Canada. If you are not familiar with Band in a Box and their "Real Tracks," check out some demo videos on YouTube. The RealTracks are equivalent to Yamaha's SA Voices which have been recorded by professional musicians in studios.

IMO, Biab is the best DAW for making professional backing tracks / recordings with. I have been using it since we've had the internet.

Trax

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
Why buy Band In a box ,when you have a Genos in a trunk??? ;D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2017, 10:22:38 PM »
Peter,

I don't have any Genos EDM styles to work on.  Where do I find them?  I would love to have all the Genos dance styles and... those many Genos Multi Pad banks.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 10:25:09 PM »
Just use one finger and keep pecking away like a chicken

Instant EDM. All you need is a singer that can go Moo Moo Mooo!!
You will have a top ten hit!! :o 8)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2017, 10:27:16 PM »
John,

From your many comments about EDM... it appears you do not know or understand EDM... because you have a bias toward it.  Do realize that the music YOU like... others may not like and maybe think the same about it as you do EDM?

???

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:51:50 AM by Joe H »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
It Is better also with a bit of filter cutoff and resonance. Poshes it all up a bit with a wow and zing.

Cannot get Into Edm Joe, but I have to realize that we are all different!!  PEACE!! Man!! or Dude!! ;D

Ozric Tentacles are great at experimental music and they are also melodic, so was Jarre , but he has lost it now making that last album.
Electronic music that tells stories is the way to go for me
Great example Is Bo Hannsson Lord of the Rings (1972) and he only did all that with basic synths
To me also the 80s had better synth music and Situation Canadian remix Is unbelievable with Alison Moyet and Vince Clerk on the keys
Nice perky numbers by Trans X living on Video at least was happy stuff.
From the 90s onwards the decline started in music as all that counts is money and how fast they can churn repetitive music out ,such as EDM and Rap and not forgetting those moo moo singers and men with girlie voices!
 Blame Simon Cowell for todays rubbish!!BUT__ he is a Millionaire-- He is not daft!! 8)

Anyone like that tune  "I saw a UFO ,but nobody believes me"!! Nice perky synth and very catchy and reasonably good singing.

Sorry Joe , I am waffling now!! :P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:54:41 PM by ugawoga »

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:49 PM »
Joe H,

Check PM :)
Peter

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 11:54:48 PM »
I've got Virtual Machine running on my Win 7 x64 Professional.

Download and install Virtual PC
Download and install XP Mode (this is a 32 bit version)
Download and install 32 bit Yamaha MIDI driver while running XP Mode.

I'm using an old (Windows 98 version) MIDI editor for my Korg NS5R sound module... works like a charm

It's not for me anymore these days due to circumstances but I sure would love to (go back in time and) have another go at it at times. Nostalgia rules, not all old things are obsolete ;)

Peter

Tyros Trax

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
I thought for a second that you wanted to KNOW which DAW works BEST with the Genos, No?

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
Hi Christopher,
Thank you  for your instructions re connecting cubase to Genos which I have tried to do unsuccessfully. After ‘add external instrument’ and ‘associate midi device’ I don’t see the Genos link. I get either ‘no link’ or ‘create device’. Where have I gone wrong?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Alfred

Hi, sounds like you have not set up in MIDI Device Manager yet. Go to menu Studio, select More Options, select MIDI Device Manager, choose Install Device, select Tyros5 from the drop down list ( I know it's not the Genos Instrument Definition file but Cubase does not care and it will allow you select all the voices in the Genos that are the same as Tyros, until Yamaha come out with an updated file, or you can add the Genos voices to the file with a text editor. You can rename the file to Genos if you want ). Now for output select Digital Workstation-1 which should be your Genos, then close window. Now when you go to associate Midi Device you will be able to select, depending on what you called the file either Genos or Tyros5. Close then proceed as mentioned before. Hope that helps.

Christopher.
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2017, 05:54:04 AM »
It Is better also with a bit of filter cutoff and resonance. Poshes it all up a bit with a wow and zing.

Cannot get Into Edm Joe, but I have to realize that we are all different!!  PEACE!! Man!! or Dude!! ;D

Ozric Tentacles are great at experimental music and they are also melodic, so was Jarre , but he has lost it now making that last album.
Electronic music that tells stories is the way to go for me
Great example Is Bo Hannsson Lord of the Rings (1972) and he only did all that with basic synths
To me also the 80s had better synth music and Situation Canadian remix Is unbelievable with Alison Moyet and Vince Clerk on the keys
Nice perky numbers by Trans X living on Video at least was happy stuff.
From the 90s onwards the decline started in music as all that counts is money and how fast they can churn repetitive music out ,such as EDM and Rap and not forgetting those moo moo singers and men with girlie voices!
 Blame Simon Cowell for todays rubbish!!BUT__ he is a Millionaire-- He is not daft!! 8)

Anyone like that tune  "I saw a UFO ,but nobody believes me"!! Nice perky synth and very catchy and reasonably good singing.

Sorry Joe , I am waffling now!! :P

To each his own!

:)

Joe H

Offline maartenb

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHFfqLXd2w

Is this cubase now built for the Yamaha arranger/workstations or do you have to set up a template??

Hi John,

I've just watched that video for you.

You set up a template. Whatever you see in that video can be done with any DAW. (I have used the (almost) same setup with Reaper for my recording.)

The "Tyros style" track contains the notes of the keys you would press with your left hand when you play a style. The "Chord track" analyses the notes in that track and display a chord. This Chord Track therefore does nothing in controlling the Tyros. The notes in the Tyros Style track control the style.

So, the Cubase showed in that video has nothing that is especially made for arranger use.

Maarten
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:48:53 AM by maartenb »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »
H Maarten
So the guy has customised what he is doing.
I generall record a song and then import Into Sonar and It shows all tracks up.The editing is glitchy In Sonar .
I hope Cubase is better as Yamaha own the program
Funny thing when the style tracks that are In Sonar is, you get bits and pieces all over the place , like partial notes overlaying and filling In small spaces. Some longer than others.
It is what I call note flak which stops the styles from being clean.
It would be nice to drop a song Into a daw and just edit minor mistakes and also mix a few vst's in and master your track without glitches.
I've got enough ram and an I7 computer,so it should not be a problem really.
Totally annoyed about Sonar and the lifetime updates.Microsoft will come along with a few updates and Sonar wil get more glitchy and eventually fall over.
Love the genos so far and it is a little different to the tyros  as the sounds take a little getting used  and all the levels to correct adjustments.
I still find the kick drums in the styles to dominating and some really need backing off , so as not to clash with the bass.
It is all going to take a little mastering for perfection.

All the best
John

Jean Abdou

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
Just as you get your Genos and set it all up another bombshell arrives.
Someone has dropped an EMP warhead on Sonar Platinum. GIBSON!! Bang!! :o :-[ >:(

If you jump ship with a Sonar product, you can get a crossgrade, but having to learn a new pro daw will take another century.
Well for the home studio production with the Genos, It Is time to consider Cubase Elements at only £86 as this will be updated to have the Genos Instrument files and also compatible.
For people owning Sonar platinum considering a Crossgrade immediately, I would hold on.
Get Elements for now as Mixcraft may well take Sonar on and Mixcraft is so easy to get around at the moment for Vst, but not for midi. Also no Sys Ex. So a little wait there maybe.

I have looked at Cubase Elements 9  for the Genos and that would be great for the Genos and not so complicated as the pro version with all It's tweaky bits which runs into the thousands.
Does anyone know when the Instrument definition file will be  put out as an update  for the Genos??
The real limitation with Elements is 24 track and that is not so bad as you could turn a Genos song to wave and then add vst's if you wanted to. If you want to put In loads of orchestra instuments and articulations etc maybe the pro version is needed.
For me I am going for cubase Elements 9.5 as it will suit the Genos and use Mixcraft for vst
I have read also for people who do not want to lose some vst's from Sonar like Breverb etc ,you can approach the maker and get a vst version for a small fee. I will have to sift through my Sonar Instruments and effects.
Guess what there is a new word "Sonar Refugees"!!!what!! :o ;D
The only trouble with Cubase Is all the Dingles and Dongles!! ::) :P

All the best
John :)

None of the Yamaha products play nice with any DAWs when it comes to live performance. For that purpose, I would rather buy a dedicated MIDI controller with a fully programmable control surface. If you want to use it in the studio it's a different story though. Get a Montage instead of Genos.

Now if you want to just load VST and use DAW like a sounds module, in my humble opinion, Apple's MainStage is the only software you need (it's 40 bucks). Take a look at it! Unfortunately, you should have a mac or maybe a Hackintosh (which you legally cannot).

Cheers

pvk

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
Hi folks.

The Sonar software isn´t useless just because Gibson closed the further updating.
So when using the software for MIDI it will still do the work in many years to come.
Think about it, the updating of DAW`s are mostly on the audio part, and not so much about new editing tools.
I am using Sonar Professionel un a daily basis in my MIDI studio, and have done so since early 90´s. I have no plans to skip the program for the MIDI programming.

For the use with Yamaha Genos i hope someone will make the Cakewalk Instrument Definition file. I would even pay someone to make it, because it just makes soundchanges more creative, instead of changing sound with MSB/LSB/PC.
I am daily checking: http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=81&Itemid=58
and http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/ins_files.htm

Kind regards
PVK.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 11:10:55 AM »
When is Cubase going to do a Definition file ??

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Hi John,

As far as I know they are always made by volunteers.  ???

Jeff

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
Well Jeff . It looks like Cubase is the boy.
I really do not need a Pro version as Cubase Elements will deal with the Genos and of course your Tyros If you took the plunge.
Mixcraft will do the vst's
I will of course keep Sonar Platinum going for as long I can  and I can decide after using Elements whether to upgrade In a year or so.
That sounds the sensible thing to do here as someone may take over Sonar yet .Who Knows.

All the Best
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2017, 12:29:15 AM »
Hi
I eventually Settled on Cubase Elements to learn slowly It does have that sys ex to talk with the Genos. I will keep with Sonar until It goes bonk like Sg Gruff says!!.
Mixcraft does the vst side easily.
New computer coming on nicely but Sampletank 3.7 messed  the computer up until I uninstalled It
That Sampletank is a jinx for me.
Something corrupted my files and after a CMD sfc scannow, all back to normal now
So now got the Genos Into place and the vst's Fm8, Arturia synths and Syntronic. That will give me what I want  and I would love that M-Tron which I may get later( love those backward tapes).
I can get my room all cleaned up now and start!! "AT LAST"
I hope all this new changing over goes away for at least six years, because all that crawling about with leads under the desks and wires  gives you a few aches and pains.

Also Hope Swindon Town can win a few games In our rubbish English Division 2 league. They are like watching paint dry every match. Worse for me as I have a season ticket!!  "more pain"!!! :-X
Everywhere you can think on the pitch , but they cannot get that ball In the net. >:(

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:45:14 AM by ugawoga »