Author Topic: Right then, I think I've made my mind up...  (Read 9985 times)

Offline Will49

Right then, I think I've made my mind up...
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've no doubt Genos is good... well, I suppose it has to be as all the Tyroses before it (especially the later ones) were already superb arrangers! But for what I do, I can't really justify parting with almost £3,000.00 on top of my T4! So, the route I'm currently toying with is to move up to a used Tyros 5. According to a leaflet from one Yamaha dealer (who, sadly, is currently receiving some bad press in another thread here 😕), a used T5 76-note would set me back £2,499.00. Alternatively, my T4 and £949.00 on top. Going by that latter option, they are allowing £1,550.00 for my T4... is that good..what do others here think? If it is, then I might go fo it, enjoy it for about 18 months or so, then do the same again and trade up for a used Genos.

Kind regards,
Will

agoldstraw

Re: Right then, I think I've made my mind up...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
I must admit, I've toyed with this strategy myself – and that sounds a decent p/ex price for your T4, to be fair – it's £50 more than I paid for mine second hand in a private user sale only a few months ago.

The following users thanked this post: Will49

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
Is a T5 so much better than a T4 ?

Jeff

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »
Hi Will.

Good for you, and very smart thinking.
You've now got me thinking again.
Dang, just when I thought I had it all figured out.

In 18 months you might only have to add another £1000,
on top of the £949 you will have to pay now, to trade in your T5 for a Genos.
That means that you still come out a winner.

Oh man, I am going to be thrashing the life out of a Genos next week.
But I like your way of thinking there.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Offline alans

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
Hi Will

I bought my Genos from the shop that can't be mentioned 😄😄 Although I have to endorse what others say about them,I was fairly satisfied with the deal I got, it seems to me you are on the right track with your T4 trade-in toT5 76,it might even be the one I traded in .
Whatever you decide I wish you all the best and I'm sure will enjoy the T5-76

Best wishes

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

lacobo

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 01:11:22 PM »

Yes it is! Organworld, better DSP's, no waiting for the installed Expansions, better looks. etc.

Bert.

Offline Will49

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
...it seems to me you are on the right track with your T4 trade-in toT5 76,it might even be the one I traded in.
Hi Alan,

Well, not knowing how well a used instrument has been looked after is something that concerns me to be honest. As a non-gigging person, and someone who (according to my wife!) is very OCD where keyboards are concerned, I would obviously be very excited if I could guarantee that a used T5 has come from a similar previous owner. But that's what every sales person is going to say I suppose... regardless of whether the thing has been out of the house more times than a rabbit from its burrow!! 😅

Kind regards,
Will
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:40:01 PM by Will49 »

Offline alans

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »
Hi Alan,

Well, not knowing how well a used instrument has been looked after is something that concerns me to be honest. As a non-gigging person, and someone who (according to my wife!) is very OCD where keyboards are concerned, I would obviously be very excited if I could guarantee that a used T5 has come from a similar previous owner. But that's what every sales person is going to say I suppose... regardless of whether the thing has been out of the house more times than a rabbit from its burrow!! 😅

Kind regards,
Will

Hi Will

I dont know if it is possible to chose a particular traded in T5-76 but I  can assure you mine was in as new   condition and was only moved once from new from its position in the room,and was always covered,plus I left in a 512mb expansion card and a genuine cover for the keyboard

It may be possible for me to try to get the serial number from the Yamaha registration website,would you like me to have a look.

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline Will49

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
It may be possible for me to try to get the serial number from the Yamaha registration website,would you like me to have a look.
That would be fantastic Alan... if not too much trouble for you of course! 😊

Many thanks,
Will

Offline alans

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
OK Will

I will PM you if it is poss

Alan

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 03:33:59 PM »
Save your poor o'l  back Will
Go for a brand new Genos It will be worth It
The Tyros 5 is way too heavy as the casing does bow In the middle a bit with the weight.
I have done my groin In and back moving that Tyros 5 76 key out of my room into the car .
The Genos is light as a feather compared to that
The Tyros Is like carrying a medicine ball around "The pain "!!oh the pain"
Have you tried heading one of those Into a football net!! ;D your get alzheimer's. :-X :o
You won't have a mind to make up! ;D ::)

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:37:42 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline sooty8

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
Will49.

I have sent you a private message, the info can not be put on this forum, I have just purchased a Tyros 5 from these people.

The cheapest in the UK at the moment.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline Will49

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »
Save your poor o'l  back Will
The Tyros 5 is way too heavy...
Hi John,

Thanks for your concern about my lumbar region… and a rather amusing post overall! ;D However, as someone who started off on organs many moons ago (the largest of which was a beautiful 3-manual beast that required four men [as well as the removing of door casings right down to the brickwork] in order to manoeuvre it into our front room), I can assure you that the weight and size of a Tyros 5’s is of no concern whatsoever to me! In fact, as far as looks are concerned (for me as a non-gigging person), the bigger the better… and I’ll tell you a little story:
One of our neighbours used to pop in quite frequently when I had organs, then moved down South to live. We hadn’t seen her for years until earlier this year when she came back to the area for a little holiday, and to visit old friends. One of the main recollections of visiting our house she had was that there was always an organ of some description there… now replaced by a portable keyboard! :o The look of disbelief on her face said it all, then her remark came: “What possessed you to get rid of those fabulous-looking instruments you used to have? They were so impressive and made you look as if you were on the flight deck of Concorde… now you look as if you are sitting in front of a toy”!! I bent over backwards trying to explain that the technology inside the “toy” is now far more advance than the organs I used to have… to which she fervently insisted: “…but it still looks like a toy by comparison”! Hmmm, where appearance alone is concerned, I reckon she was spot on! ;)

Kind regards,
Will

Offline Will49

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
This is what I said here on 27th November…..
Hi everyone, I've no doubt Genos is good... well, I suppose it has to be as all the Tyroses before it (especially the later ones) were already superb arrangers! But for what I do, I can't really justify parting with almost £3,000.00 on top of my T4! So, the route I'm currently toying with is to move up to a used Tyros 5.
And since then, a deal was done and I’m now a happy owner of a mint condition T5/76! As it’s obviously no longer a Genos-related topic, you can (should you want to, of course) see how it all went, including a few well-deserved words of recommendation for Bonners Music from me, over here on the T5 board:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41793.msg329056.html#msg329056

Kind regards,
Will

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »
Will, when I reach this dilemma, I take the amount of money it's going to cost me and amortize it over the estimated lifespan of the keyboard. In my case, I am a gigging musician who relies on my music for a wee supplement to my self-made pension. (I'm not a wealthy Canadian union worker with incredible benefits and guaranteed pension plan.) Investing in new gear is a non-issue when you make money with it. If you're a "living room" player, you are in a class where there is no monetary return.

Having said that, I assume 3,000 pounds (where the **** is the British pound symbol on this site??!!) is a lot of money. If you keep the Genos for five years, that's 60 months or 50 pounds per month. Can you afford the initial investment and the ultimate loss of 50 pounds per month? If so, go for the Genos. Only you know your personal finances.

I ran a very successful business for 25 years. During that time, there were things I wanted to buy that were not in the "Necessity" column. I always asked myself:
  • Will this item prevent me from providing for my family?
  • Will this item compromise my ability to contribute to my own pension plan?
  • Will this item prevent me from paying down debt like the mortgage and credit card?

If all three answers were "No," then I bought it. Moral: life is too **** short to nickel and dime (insert equivalent British currency here) yourself to the grave. That's my two cents worth. (Do you Brits still use cents? We don't). Hope this helps...best on your decision my friend.

- Lee
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 10:03:12 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 11:15:11 PM »
This is what I said here on 27th November…..And since then, a deal was done and I’m now a happy owner of a mint condition T5/76! As it’s obviously no longer a Genos-related topic, you can (should you want to, of course) see how it all went, including a few well-deserved words of recommendation for Bonners Music from me, over here on the T5 board:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41793.msg329056.html#msg329056

Kind regards,
Will

Hi Will,

Congrats on your purchase of a Tyros 5 - 76!

Paul

Offline Will49

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 12:04:35 AM »
In my case, I am a gigging musician who relies on my music for a wee supplement to my self-made pension. Investing in new gear is a non-issue when you make money with it. If you're a "living room" player, you are in a class where there is no monetary return.
Hello Lee. Yes, I am very much in the latter category, i.e. a "living room" player... so no monetary return I'm afraid. I had also looked at what advantages Genos have over the T5. And (for what I need out of a keyboard) I didn't think those advantages were sufficient to justify the huge expenditure - my mint T4 plus almost £3,000 (or GBP)!!  Thanks for sharing that detailed analysis though!

Kind regards,

Will
P.S. Money doesn't stay with me long enough for me to get properly acquainted with it I'm afraid, but I can cofirm that we don't use cents! 😀

Offline Will49

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
Hi Will, Congrats on your purchase of a Tyros 5 - 76!
Hello, and many thanks Paul, It has been a busy week with other things here I'm afraid. But from what I've seen and heard so far, I reckon T5 has more than enough for my playing ability for a very long time! 😉

Kind regards,

Wil

Offline zionip

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 12:31:19 AM »
Hi Will,

An advantage of Tyros5 over Genos is dedicated buttons for easier live control.  The touch screen of Genos is intuitive, but with it a single dedicated button click now becomes multiple touches at different layers of menus.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: Will49, bluali

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 01:05:24 AM »
Glad to help, Will. You're right - I forgot to consider what exactly you use your keyboard for. You make perfect sense :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Will49

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 04:58:02 AM »
An advantage of Tyros5 over Genos is dedicated buttons for easier live control. The touch screen of Genos is intuitive, but with it a single dedicated button click now becomes multiple touches at different layers of menus.
Hi Paul, I never really thought of that... thanks for pointing it out.

Kind regards,
Will

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 06:25:44 AM »

Jeff

If you are in the market for a 76 key arranger, then the T4 is not an option.

On top of that my favorite features of the T5 are not on the T4.
And thats the ensemble voices and the Euro organ.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »
Hi Spirit,

The newest models will always offer extra and improved features. See  the Genos e.g.
All depends on the personal needs, wishes, dreams and budget of the individual enduser.
New models will never improve our playing skills though, IMHO.

In the past we bought musical instruments for the rest of our life but technology
changed our perception completely.

For me the sound quality is the most important issue to buy an upgrade or another arranger.

Jeff

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
..... (where the **** is the British pound symbol on this site??!!) .....

Here you are Sir, I have a lot of those symbols as well as other currency at my PC keyboard.
All for free, you can save for later use. ;)  ;D

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
$$$   €€€€
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
Thanks GC :)! Will you send a bunch more after I run out - say, enough to buy a Genos??
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:40:54 PM by Lee Batchelor »