Author Topic: "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"  (Read 24536 times)

DavidB

Re: "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
My Genos in the UK on which the power save functions work perfectly has wireless lan enabled all the time.

Sorry, but sounds like another dead end.

It'll be interesting if we ever get to the bottom of this :)

Online jwyvern

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
The auto power off which I consider to be functioning OK on my Genos appears to be somewhat smarter than just "turn off the power after 30, 60 etc. minutes of inactivity".  I noticed it did not turn off recently after I had left it for a period with the style assembly page displayed. After I changed it to the home page it then did shut off after a further 30mins. So if the Genos is left in a condition where it might "think" data could be lost it will stay connected.
Something to be borne in mind perhaps if the auto power off appears to be "not working".

With apologies for yet another extension to this lengthy thread ::).
John
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:30:17 PM by jwyvern »

Offline zionip

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
The auto power off which I consider to be functioning OK on my Genos appears to be somewhat smarter than just "turn off the power after 30, 60 etc. minutes of inactivity".  I noticed it did not turn off recently after I had left it for a period with the style assembly page displayed. After I changed it to the home page it then did shut off after a further 30mins. So if the Genos is left in a condition where it might "think" data could be lost it will stay connected.
Something to be borne in mind perhaps when considering whether the auto power off is working or not.
John

Hi John,

Very good observation.

I actually also thought of this and purposely left my Genos at its home screen to test its behaviors with the "Auto Power Off" option turned on.  The result is the same, at firmware 1.10, my Genos continues to ignore the "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" options.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline EileenL

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
Well John mine still dose not work anyway I try it but it dose not bother me because I would never use it.
  How ever it should work for anyone who dose use it.

Offline BartW

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »
This feature does not work for me either. Latest firmware. I tried 10min/60min option and this did not work either. If Yamaha is reading this, they should fix this in the next firmware update.

Online jwyvern

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »
Well John mine still dose not work anyway I try it but it dose not bother me because I would never use it.
  How ever it should work for anyone who dose use it.

Yes Eileen, I'll probably disable it soon, once I get sufficiently irritated by it going off at the "wrong"  times (as I did on Tyros in the past). Low level of tolerance here ;) ;) ;)

John

Offline alans

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »
Just read this on synthzone forum

A Genos owner had his keyboard auto off whilst transferring files and it corrupted the user memory,he said it had to be repaired by Yamaha, he got his money back

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/441832/A_warning_to_all_Yamaha_Genos_#Post441832

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline StuartR

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »

A Genos owner had his keyboard auto off whilst transferring files and it corrupted the user memory,he said it had to be repaired by Yamaha, he got his money back

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/441832/A_warning_to_all_Yamaha_Genos_#Post441832

Alan
According to the OP, the internal SSD drive of the Genos got corrupted when the keyboard shut itself off during a file transfer. What he could have tried before returning it and getting his money back was to connect the genius to a PC/laptop in shortage mode and use Windows CHKDSK to repair the drive. I suspect it would have worked just fine. I've run CHKDSK on the Genos SSD with no problems.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:55:05 PM by StuartR »

Offline zionip

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2017, 10:02:51 PM »

Alan

Thanks Alan for the discussion link.

I read through the whole thread, and am glad that I disabled these Auto Power features from day one I received the keyboard, but then these features never worked on mine anyway.

Paul

Offline alans

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi Paul

I was a bit disturbed by this report,especially as he  was in the process of important file transfers,I think I read that  this shut down behaviour should not not happen when using the Genos ,only after a set period of being idle,maybe we should all disable this function as a precaution until it is confirmed by Yamaha that this feature has been thoroughly tested/upgrade on variations of all models ie. operating voltages and firmware versions

StuartR

I am not sure how many would want to try what you suggest,but thanks anyway.

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »
There were also a few people that suggested this was user error and he was not pressing the right section before searching for his files.

Online jwyvern

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
It's very easy to think you are copying files on the keyboard then find that apparently only the folders are copied and the files are missing. Firstly the keyboard has to be in Style mode for copying style files, then in Voice mode for voices  etc. etc. If you don't remember to do that first the files really won't be there. And if you want to view them to check,  you have to be in the appropriate modes again or they won't apparently be there even though they could be. There are plenty of opportunities for misunderstanding in normal use, without the need to invoke corruption or auto power off issues.
John