Author Topic: Transfer .RGT files into Genos Yamaha not recognizing  (Read 337 times)

Offline apples23

Transfer .RGT files into Genos Yamaha not recognizing
« on: April 10, 2024, 03:15:25 PM »
Hello hope everyone is having a good week so far. My Uncle asked me some help with transferring some piano files from his buddy, Dave, in Peru. I am working with two thumb drives. "PNY 128GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive" and  "PNY 64GB USB 3.2 Flash Drive" using a Lenovo laptop with Windows 11 OS. Dave asked my Uncle to send over InstrumentInfo.n27 with the 2.0 Thumb Drive, while Dave sent back two .CPI files through MEGA, the files were able to transfer over to his Yamaha Genos navigating with Menu -> Menu2 -> Expansion -> Pack Installation and was able to move the information and work with it.

Dave then sent .RGT files compressed with Winrar for my Uncle to use. Dave recommended for my Uncle to buy a 3.2 USB Drive rather than use the 2.0 Drive, so he did. I unpacked the .RGT files with Winrar and initially extracted them over into the 3.2 Drive. After ejecting the Drive, then plugging into his Genos, navigating with Menu -> Menu2 -> Expansion -> Pack Installation.. the piano's menu recognized that the thumb drive was plugged and listed, but not recognizing the .RGT files within the thumb drive showing a blank menu.

Couple of things I tried to resolve the issue;
  • I decided to delete the .CPI data he was using and thought the piano's storage was full, nothing there.
  • I then decided to move 2 copies of the .CPI files into the 3.2 thumb drive to see if the piano would recognize them and it did not, leaving me to thinking of formatting that thumb drive through the piano, so I did; wiped the data, formatted, extracted again, but even then the piano did not recognize the .CPI data, causing me to switch back to the 2.0 thumb drive.
  • Using the 2.0 thumb drive, this time extracted and moved the .RGT files into a folder within the thumb drive and again with no folder, plugged it in and while the Yamaha Genos recognized the folder.. it did not recognize .RGT files being stored within.

Couple of issues that I didn't see at first or could've prevented; formatting both thumb drives, not familiarizing myself with the file types, and understanding menu2's pack installation. I don't play the piano and the file types so far listed have been new to me and still don't understand what they do after finding a chart explaining what they are for. I did a simple google search to see if it was mandatory to format thumb drives, I've always heard yes and no, so I did not. I did find out however the Yamaha Genos could format them(?) through Menu -> Menu2 -> Utility -> Storage. Are there other ways to transfer over data from a thumb drive rather than Menu 2's Pack Installation? A simple drag/copy/send to and move?

After finding a forum post on here, https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=61613.0 talking about .RGT files it led me downloading Murray Best's Registration Manager and some understanding that the sent .RGT could've been from a different piano entirely. My Uncle reasoned with me that the data sent over from Dave is from a Yamaha piano that the data should still be matching even with a different model. I understand what he is trying to say here categorizing it as a family, but still at a loss with what I've been doing so far. I watched a video on batch editing(?) hoping a conversion from the unknown piano source into Genos would solve the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57Dzq_b0IQ

I am trying to understand if at the 00:15 mark of the video, "Select a folder with Registrations that have USER content." Does this refer to a file location/path? I created two folders one with the original .RGT files, "old genos" and the conversion folder "new genos." After selecting both source/target directory I "Convert Banks." Compared to the video there is no loading in between with the green bar signifying it in the video.

The results in Attachment;

I "Exit" and  check through my file explorer to find no new conversions in the "new genos" folder. I then decide to load up on .RGT file into the "Load Registration Bank" and then "Edit Registration" only to get a processing error.

Offline overover

Re: Transfer .RGT files into Genos Yamaha not recognizing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 03:39:55 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial forum, apples23!

Are you sure you opened the Registration Bank Selection display on Genos (by touching the Registration section on the Home display or pressing the Regist Bank -/+ buttons at the same time)? Only there you can see Registration Bank files (.RGT).

If you are in the "wrong" File Selection display (e.g. Style, Song or Voice), you will see all folders on the USB stick, but not the .RGT files they contain.

In the Pack Installation display you won't see any .RGT Registration Bank files either, but only Pack Installation files (.CPI/.PPI and .CQI/.PQI).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 03:48:42 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: apples23

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 03:44:58 PM »
"Select a folder which has user content" just means select the folder that has your ,rgt files.

The conversion process is straightforward. Select the source folder, then the destination folder.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 03:55:09 PM »
I don't think these registrations have anything to do with expansion packs. Just copy the file with them in onto USB. Put it into Genos and now press Regist at the top of the page. You should now find them.

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 04:35:34 PM »
Hi Apples23

The Expansion CPI files you refer to are CPI files so they will not be accepted by the Genos. They will only work on the Keyboard that the InstrumentID file refers to.

The registration files maybe from a piano that is not compatible with the Genos. Depending on which Genos your uncle has will depend on whether Murray Best program will convert them. Murray is working on a Genos 2 version of his program. Send him an Email and he will clarify things for you.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline apples23

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 05:09:46 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial forum, apples23!

Are you sure you opened the Registration Bank Selection display on Genos (by touching the Registration section on the Home display or pressing the Regist Bank -/+ buttons at the same time)? Only there you can see Registration Bank files (.RGT).

If you are in the "wrong" File Selection display (e.g. Style, Song or Voice), you will see all folders on the USB stick, but not the .RGT files they contain.

In the Pack Installation display you won't see any .RGT Registration Bank files either, but only Pack Installation files (.CPI/.PPI and .CQI/.PQI).

Best regards,
Chris

Hello thank you for your response. Yes I notice now on the Yamaha Genos display screen with the Regis Section on the top of screen, was my User error my bad. I now see the files listed from the thumb drive. When I do click on it however, I received a pop up with "data has not been loaded properly/data not properly loaded." Would navigating through the Menu's; Regis Bank Info/Regis Bank Edit will be able circumvent the error popup or help in anyway or is it just to display general information? With the .RGT files are they supposed to be exactly..? Samples/recorded audios/piano styles?

I came across this post and seems sort of relevant and will try it soon. https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,68341.msg515569.html#msg515569

I don't think these registrations have anything to do with expansion packs. Just copy the file with them in onto USB. Put it into Genos and now press Regist at the top of the page. You should now find them.

Yeah.. i didn't notice it was more simple than it should've been with my user error not noticing to link the words together. I came across now with an error when selecting the information through the Regis, "data has not been loaded properly/data not properly loaded." feeling a bit better. Thank you for your response.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 05:44:11 PM »
Hi apples23,

A single registration, i.e. the content of a single Registration Memory button (1 - 10), is, so to speak, a snapshot of the panel settings at the time this registration was created. A Registration Bank file (.RGT) contains up to 10 such individual registrations. When creating a registration (called "memorizing") you can specify which parameter groups are saved ("memorized") in the registration.

When you later call up the registration (after loading the relevant Registration Bank file), only the previously memorized parameters are changed. All other currently set parameters remain unchanged.

Example: If only the VOICE box was ticked when creating it, only the RIGHT VOICE settings will later be changed by this registration, but NOT the current STYLE and LEFT VOICE settings.

Registrations do NOT contain Samples or Audio files, only Panel settings and possibly LINKS that load external files such as User/Expansion Styles, MIDI files, Audio files, Multi Pad Bank files or Text files.

The error message "Data has not been loaded properly/data not properly loaded" indicates that these Registration Bank files (.RGT) do not come from a Genos1, but from a model whose registration files are not compatible with the Genos. These are, for example, the PSR-SX models, as they only were introduced AFTER the Genos. However, with Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager (at least V5.3), such .RGT files can usually be converted for use with the Genos.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 05:47:28 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Peppexpo, apples23

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 07:16:35 PM »
I think you may be not understanding that .rgt files contain no voices or styles. They are essentially a set of pointers, and maybe effects applied,  to these files on whatever instrument tgey came from. To get a voice you have to transfer a voice, either with the registration or from an identical instrument so that the same voices exist as on your instrument.
And incidentally transferring a voice between different instruments may not work either.
Mike

Offline apples23

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 01:24:56 AM »
"Select a folder which has user content" just means select the folder that has your ,rgt files.

The conversion process is straightforward. Select the source folder, then the destination folder.

Cheers,
Fred

Hello Fred,

Yes, I ran into an issue with the batch conversion for some reason and decided to reread the blurb/summary of Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager and downloaded the updated 5.3 version and was able to successfully convert from the unknown piano .rgt files to be able to use/read within the Yamaha Genos.

Hi apples23,

A single registration, i.e. the content of a single Registration Memory button (1 - 10), is, so to speak, a snapshot of the panel settings at the time this registration was created. A Registration Bank file (.RGT) contains up to 10 such individual registrations. When creating a registration (called "memorizing") you can specify which parameter groups are saved ("memorized") in the registration.

When you later call up the registration (after loading the relevant Registration Bank file), only the previously memorized parameters are changed. All other currently set parameters remain unchanged.

Example: If only the VOICE box was ticked when creating it, only the RIGHT VOICE settings will later be changed by this registration, but NOT the current STYLE and LEFT VOICE settings.

Registrations do NOT contain Samples or Audio files, only Panel settings and possibly LINKS that load external files such as User/Expansion Styles, MIDI files, Audio files, Multi Pad Bank files or Text files.

The error message "Data has not been loaded properly/data not properly loaded" indicates that these Registration Bank files (.RGT) do not come from a Genos1, but from a model whose registration files are not compatible with the Genos. These are, for example, the PSR-SX models, as they only were introduced AFTER the Genos. However, with Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager (at least V5.3), such .RGT files can usually be converted for use with the Genos.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Your explanation of why and what is was very helpful and gave me a better understanding and being able to explain it to my uncle. I was able to knock the error message right off with downloading the 5.3 update* for Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager that I didn't see initially. I don't know if that was the block preventing me to complete the conversion batch .rgt files within the Yamaha Genos, but was able to successfully to convert them and transfer the updated files. Thank you very much.