Author Topic: First 24 Hours With My New Genos  (Read 14235 times)

gerarde

First 24 Hours With My New Genos
« on: November 17, 2017, 12:21:19 AM »
For weeks I was bugging Frank at Audioworksct as to when my Genos would be in.
On Monday it was shipped.
I git it yesterday.
WOW!!!!
Finally, the balance between instruments is spot on.
When you hear a song the first 2 things you hear is bass and drums up front.
In the past when I had a Tyros 5-76 and still have my S970 for sale, the balance was never quite there.
The drums and bass were more subdued.
I think Yamaha remixed all the styles.
One of the most important improvements, which lends itself to the balance is the new REVO drums!
They are fantastic.
The sound quality of all the style and voices is much, much improved.
I still have my S970, and it does not even come close, playing the same styles on both machines.

Songbook+ works great with no midi setup whatsoever!
Only problem with that is I can only use the USB to Host cable, can't get the WIRELESS LAN to work yet, I put in a ticket for a solution.

Another caveat, PSR S970 registrations will not load on the Genos.
You can rebuild them to convert to a TYROS 5 style, but when you have 350 or 400 registrations, it will take a long time.
It has been easier to create the registrations one at a time and I can make changes to the instrumentation as I see fit.
I created a couple of registration banks saving just voices on buttons 2 to 10, and then based on the type of song I am saving to a registration, I call up the voice bank for COUNTRY, or BIG BAND, or whatever, setup the style, tempo, transpose, variation, etc., and save it to button one.
When I saved the voice banks, I only checked off voice to save in the registration.
When I save the song style, I save almost all the parameters.
It is an easy way to have 9 additional sounds available.

Also, finally I can adjust the slow fast and fast slow for the Rotary speaker.
Bot is that nice!
Much closer to a B3 now!
Which leads me to saving favorite voices.
You can save any preset voice to FAVORITES, but not a modified preset voice.

Playlists will come in handy when playing out.
I can create sets 1,2, 3, etc. in their own playlist, instead of hunting around for a registration.
I will have about 400 songs and I need to call them up quickly, down time is bad when you are playing live!!!
The sample playlists that you can download are really good for giving you ideas as to what song might go with a style.

If anybody lives near Rochester, NY, come on down and give the Genos a try before you buy.....
And I have Frank's phone number too.....
P.S. I am selling my PSR S970 for $1300 shipping included to mainland USA!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:23:31 AM by gerard »

Offline travlin-easy

Re: First 24 Hours With My New Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »
I knew you would be having lots of fun at this point, and enduring lots of sleepless nights.

Congratulations,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Gloria

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 01:11:50 AM »
Gerad, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW GENOS!  When I first heard it over my cheap computer speakers, I thought
WOW!  Couldn't find any dealers in Phoenix, Az. population 650 thousand; so I was ready to step up to from my PSR910 to a 970.  Now I'm back dreaming of the Genos!  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Gloria   
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

gerarde

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 01:18:57 AM »
Thank you Gloria.
I went from a Tyros 5-76 to a PSRS970 and found with the new sound chip it had some better features than the Tyros.
But, I think Yamaha changed the name of their flagship model to Genos because of the total sound changes and improvements.
If there is one or 2 words to describe a Genos it would be spacious and clarity.
The Resonator guitars are outstanding and come in handy because I do a lot of country music.

Gerard

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:43:34 AM »
Gerard,

Thank you for your review and experience with the Genos so far.   I was at Frank’s store yesterday and was WOWED by the Genos!  I too went from a T5-76 to Pa4x 76, missed Yamaha so I got myself an s970.  The s970 is a great board but now I seem to have been bitten by a nasty bug called “Genos.”   Got Christmas gigs coming up and now isn’t the time to start selling boards that I’ve got all set up to perform with.  But Genos is on the burner that’s for sure.   Keep the reports coming/
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Ed B

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 02:47:10 AM »
Congratulations Gerard on the new keyboard and thanks for outlining your experience so far. Look forward to hearing more as you progress.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Online EileenL

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
Hi Gerard
  Pleased you are enjoying your keyboard. No need now for wireless dongles as this now is all on the keyboard.

CalUKGR

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »
Hi Gerard
  Pleased you are enjoying your keyboard. No need now for wireless dongles as this now is all on the keyboard.

And more amazingly, it actually works now. My Genos has kept perfect internet time via its always-online wifi from the moment I first connected it up. My Tyros 5 couldn't ever hold a connection, let alone give me the time of day!

gerarde

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
I can't get the Genos to connect to Songbook+ via wireless lan but it works with the
USB to Host cable.

Gerard

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
I can't get the Genos to connect to Songbook+ via wireless lan but it works with the
USB to Host cable.

Gerard

How involved is it to set your lead sheets to work with the Genos? I understand it's easier than the old method used on Tyros.  Having a cable to connect isn't the worse thing in the world, that's how I connect my Pa4x to my Android tablet and Mobile Sheets Pro.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline JohnH

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
THANKS for your GENOS report-------I also have a 970---some questions-----I have a USB stick with ALL my set-ups--if i plug the usb into the Genos----will they pop up & work-----also i play gigs & carry my 970 around in a cloth bag with a shoulder strap---according to the specs, the Genos is only 3 1/2 pounds more----is that true---have you tried any of the vocal harmony --is it better than the 970-----i sing about 1/3 of my songs & use about 4 of the vocal harmony----on my 970---I also use the Bose LT1 compact & assume that will be sufficient to reproduce all the improved sounds---keep us informed about your -impressions of the Genos---------THANKS --JohnH from Michigan

Offline zionip

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 04:45:56 PM »
USB to Host cable.

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Please note that SongBook+ accepts MIDI control through MIDI devices, including MIDI devices connected through USB (which you did using Apple Camera kit with an optional powered USB hub), MIDI ports (such as the use of IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2 with a powered USB hub), and bluetooth MIDI.  Therefore, you cannot expect to connect Genos to Songbook+ through wireless LAN connections.  The wireless LAN connection is for Yamaha applications like YEM, not SongBook+.

According to Page 7 of the following Yamaha iPhone/iPad Connection Manual, you can connect the Genos wirelessly through the optional wireless MIDI adapter MD-BT01:
https://usa.yamaha.coMD-BT01m/files/download/other_assets/6/725646/iphone_ipad_connect_en_i0.pdf

Information on MD-BT01:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

Photo showing MD-BT01 in use with my Genos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rp1EjgtOez1eJqaz2

On Genos, there is no options in the menu to turn on MD-BT01.  The MD-BT01 works on its own by drawing power from the MIDI out port of Genos, and starts to function on its own, with a red LED on the side connected to the MIDI out port of Genos that shows that it is functioning.

On the iPad side, the built-in Bluetooth section does not detect MD-BT01 automatically.  I had to use Korg's free iOS app "BLE-MIDI" to connect the iPad to the MD-BT01.

Photo showing MD-BT01 connected for SongBook+:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvymDW3xc00MJPT83

Paul
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:53:03 PM by zionip »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

gerarde

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »
JohnH----
None of the registrations from the 970 will work on the Genos.
I did a printout of them in REGISTRATION MANAGER and use the printout to create registrations on the Genos.
I have done about 70 so far out of 400.
The vocal harmony did not improve any but does give you more settings.

Paul---
There is a manual to show how to connect the Genos with Songbook+ using the WIRELESS LAN.
But it does not work.
I want to do it that way so I can charge my iPad while I play.
http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_Genos_SongBook.pdf

Gerard

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
Hi Gerard,

Please note that SongBook+ accepts MIDI control through MIDI devices, including MIDI devices connected through USB (which you did using Apple Camera kit with an optional powered USB hub), MIDI ports (such as the use of IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2 with a powered USB hub), and bluetooth MIDI.  Therefore, you cannot expect to connect Genos to Songbook+ through wireless LAN connections.  The wireless LAN connection is for Yamaha applications like YEM, not SongBook+.

According to Page 7 of the following Yamaha iPhone/iPad Connection Manual, you can connect the Genos wirelessly through the optional wireless MIDI adapter MD-BT01:
https://usa.yamaha.coMD-BT01m/files/download/other_assets/6/725646/iphone_ipad_connect_en_i0.pdf

Information on MD-BT01:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

Photo showing MD-BT01 in use with my Genos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rp1EjgtOez1eJqaz2

On Genos, there is no options in the menu to turn on MD-BT01.  The MD-BT01 works on its own by drawing power from the MIDI out port of Genos, and starts to function on its own, with a red LED on the side connected to the MIDI out port of Genos that shows that it is functioning.

On the iPad side, the built-in Bluetooth section does not detect MD-BT01 automatically.  I had to use Korg's free iOS app "BLE-MIDI" to connect the iPad to the MD-BT01.

Photo showing MD-BT01 connected for SongBook+:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hvymDW3xc00MJPT83

Paul,

Thanks so much for this information. Very helpful.

My Genos is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Best Thanksgiving present ever.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
Paul---
There is a manual to show how to connect the Genos with Songbook+ using the WIRELESS LAN.
But it does not work.
http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_Genos_SongBook.pdf

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Using the wireless LAN for Songbook+ and Genos connection is nice.  Did you contact the publisher of the manual to get any help in making it work for you?

Following the procedure of the manual, I immediately noticed that since the Songbook+ wireless LAN connection to the Genos requires the wireless LAN of the Genos to be configured as Access Point mode, this connection became private network connection, meaning that once the iPad is connected to the Genos, the iPad losses all normal Internet connections.  Doing so I felt like I was isolated from the rest of the world while playing with Genos and Songbook+.  I would prefer leaving the wireless LAN of Genos at Infrastructure mode, and having the iPad with full Internet access all the time.

I think the MD-BT01 bluetooth MIDI connection method is more practical, allowing Songbook+ connection to the Genos, while the iPad still has normal internet connection - the catch is extra money to spend.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:39:35 PM by zionip »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Paul,

Thanks so much for this information. Very helpful.

My Genos is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Best Thanksgiving present ever.

Fred

Hi Fred,

You're welcome.  Congrats on your Genos!

Paul

Offline zionip

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

I almost missed your point "I want to do it that way so I can charge my iPad while I play.".

Actually with the following Apple MK0W2AM/A Lightning To USB Camera Adapter (this one is USB 3.0), connect the Lightning cable to your iPad, connect the USB 3.0 port of the adapter directly to Genos, or to a powered USB hub so you can connect one of its USB ports to the Genos, another to external display etc, and you still can charge your iPad through the Lightning port of the Apple camera adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM

The slightly less expensive Apple lightning to USB camera adapter does not have the extra lightning port to allow you to charge your iPad and use USB connection simultaneously:
https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-to-USB-Camera-Adapter/dp/B014VGHG0U/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510942225&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=apple+lightning+to+USB+camer+adapter

The use of the Yamaha MD-BT01 also allows you to charge your iPad while you play, but it is almost twice the cost of the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:05:12 PM by zionip »

gerarde

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
Hi Paul,
I contacted the publisher.
I am waiting to hear back from them.
I only use the iPad for songbook+.
So, it would be great to have it charging all the time and let the wireless connect to the Genos.
My iPad uses the old connector not the lightning one.

Gerard
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:03:52 PM by gerard »

Offline zionip

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
Hi Paul,
I contacted the publisher.
I am waiting to hear back from them.
I only use the iPad for songbook+.
So, it would be great to have it charging all the time and let the wireless connect to the Genos.
My iPad uses the old connector not the lightning one.

Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for explaining.

Let us know if the publisher of the manual can help resolving your issue.

Paul

Offline zionip

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 04:44:05 AM »
Hi Gerard,

Thanks to Bill (wdhorner), your Songbook+ connection through wireless LAN is resolved.

I posted the following message in the Genos SongBook+ discussion area:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41177.msg323811.html#msg323811

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:45:33 AM by zionip »

Tyros309

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 01:25:49 AM »
I don't know how Frank does it but he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse so my genos is on the way,,,,i just hope the keyboard gets here b 4 the snow dose...Ray

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 01:41:28 AM »
I don't know how Frank does it but he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse so my genos is on the way,,,,i just hope the keyboard gets here b 4 the snow dose...Ray
He’s the best been buying from him since 2007.   Ray are you the Ray from Cranston?

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
Hi
First 24 hours on the Genos is  "Where Is everything"!!! :P  Get me a neuofen!! ::)

I'm a poet and don't know It!!! ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline valimaties

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »
There is a lot of work on Genos OS till will be the keyboard which will give "a lots of fun"... it has a lot of bugs, not fun ;)
Yes, it has another sound, with new features, but some known ones lost from old model, very usefull...you give me something but take me at least you gived... not a good idea ;)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline panos

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »
Congrats to those who have the Genos and i wish you have lots of fun with it.
I see some negative posts from users on forum but I think that Genos is not a Tyros 6 neither an S990 or something.
It is a new product with different features.
Why everything should have been working the way that the older series worked?
It took Yamaha several models to get from Tyros 1 to Tyros 5 and all have been succesfull.
Genos may have bugs like everything new but those bugs can be fixed by the developers because it is a machine that uses a hardware and a software.
And as we know softwares can be updated.
Probably they just need some time to see how this new product can be more friendly and efficient for the user and make the appropriate changes to the instrument.

I am having my Psr for 3 years now and i am still learning how it works and what it can do.
In my previous keyboard all i had to do was selecting a style,a voice and play.
Couldn't do anything else!
Its not easy to drive a sports car because you know how to drive a familly car and you expect to win the next race.

Genos is made by Yamaha and I guess they still know how to make portable workstations,synths,pianos and motorcycles.

Best wishes to all for the new year!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:32:26 PM by panos »

Guitar_man

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »

Also, finally I can adjust the slow fast and fast slow for the Rotary speaker.
Bot is that nice!
Much closer to a B3 now!

Hi,

I'm new to forums and hope this is the way to reply?  I also have the great joy of owning a Genos but my great frustration is not being able to adjust the slow/fast speed of the rotors assignable button - as far as I can tell?  The speed of the rotors can be adjusted within many of the actual drawbar voices etc. but that I acnnot find a way of adjusting the rotor speeds for organs such as the Whiter Bars etc.
I would be delighted if someone can prove me wrong? 
Cheers,
Bob

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
There are some, like you mentioned, that are sampled as is, including the Leslie speaker. These are fixed.

Guitar_man

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Perhaps one of you nice new Genos owners can answer a question for this new Genos owner?!  The assignable sliders are great for remixing a style, say taking back everything but the bass line mid way through a song.  However, does anyone know if there is one simple thing that will revert everything back to the original mix?  Doing it with the sliders can be difficult and I can't help feeling there is a button or a menu option somewhere to do that?
By selecting a different style and then re-selecting the style you were actually using does the trick but if I were a live performer I would be wary of doing this in case of actually going on to a style I didn't want.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
Perhaps one of you nice new Genos owners can answer a question for this new Genos owner?!  The assignable sliders are great for remixing a style, say taking back everything but the bass line mid way through a song.  However, does anyone know if there is one simple thing that will revert everything back to the original mix?  Doing it with the sliders can be difficult and I can't help feeling there is a button or a menu option somewhere to do that?
By selecting a different style and then re-selecting the style you were actually using does the trick but if I were a live performer I would be wary of doing this in case of actually going on to a style I didn't want.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Just pressing the registration button containing your currently selected style should revert it back to the saved settings. You DO have it saved in s registration bank/button, right?

Online EileenL

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Yes it dose.

Guitar_man

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
Just pressing the registration button containing your currently selected style should revert it back to the saved settings. You DO have it saved in s registration bank/button, right?
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.
Funny you should mention that Stuart - no I haven't and you have managed to get me questioning the way I use registrations.  I'm a guitar playing songwriter who has managed to pick up sufficient keyboard ability to record songs and demos.  I have slowly managed to improve the keyboard quality as time has gone by and being retired now I have been fortunate enough to make it to a Genos from a T4 previously. 
Because I do a lot of improvisation to get inspiration, rather than saving every song to a registration, I tend to save voice combinations into registrations banks to suit certain styles of music, i.e. Rock, Orchestral etc and within those banks there will be the voice combinations I tend to use at least as a basis to start putting a song together.  So the Rock banks will have appropriate pianos, organs, guitar etc. for me to make a start on a song, likewise Orchestral with pianos, oboes etc.   Once I come across and/or amend voices that appeal or might be useful in the future, I then save them into a registration bank.

From what is being said, and from reading the manual, it is probably more common to save every song to a registration bank?  I can see many advantages from that, especially what is being said about being able to instantly revert to a saved style.  My initial instinct is that, as I wander around the various voices and styles getting ideas, I would be saving a heck of a lot of registrations, but then again - so what, they can be deleted.  Time to reappraise things!

Apologies for prattling on and thanks again for you help.  I'll be back!!

Bob

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »
Bob, registrations are a very, very powerful tool for songwriters. You can do so much with them to enhance your productions.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...