Author Topic: Three small things I wish my Genos did...  (Read 591 times)

Offline CalUKGR

Three small things I wish my Genos did...
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
Just a few minor annoyances...

1. Chord Tutor: The Genos has a page dedicated to this, which is all very nice, but all it does is show you preset chord shapes. What I really want - on that page - is a real-time translation of whatever chord shape I'm making, so I can identify what kind of crazy augmented-9th-sus-whatever it is that I've stumbled across. This happens so often - I make a shape, sort of have a vague idea what it might be, but I'd really like to pin it down with a real-time on-screen translation. And yes, I know that on the main page it will tell you this - but only when you're playing along to a style. I spend most of my time not playing with styles, but just writing and trying to create with a simple piano, so I won't get that real-time feedback when not playing along to a style.

2. Text Viewer: Yep, very nice, but where's the real-time text-input? It's not as if the Genos doesn't have a shiny new virtual QWERTY keyboard (cos it does!). Firmware update, Yamaha - please! When I'm composing I'd really like to be able to store chord progressions/lyrics/song notes in a handy on-screen file without having to load in a .txt file from my PC. Some PC sequencers have this 'memo' function where you can store song-related notes and info inside the sequence.

3. No Cubase Genos voice bank list yet - Yamaha: Fix this, please! Hurry up!

If I'm wrong and just don't understand what I'm talking about, please correct me!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:38:11 PM by CalUKGR »
Yamaha Genos | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Re: Three small things I wish my Genos did...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
Hi,

A style does not need to be running.  As long ad the ACMP button is engaged, interpreted chords are displayed on the home screen.

Joe
Yamaha Genos  |  Yamaha CP4  |  Hauptwerk / Paramount  |  Band-In-A-Box Audiophile Edition

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Hi
The voice bank list is of utmost importance as I wa sconsidering Cubase Elements
I have Sonar Platinum and I had all sorts of niggles with midi ,not vst though.
For that I would need a Genos Ins file.
Ok Yamaha Christmas is supposed to be coming,so tell Santa to get his skates on.
I do think that Yamaha have really messed us about.They should of had all things In place before releasing the Genos.
But It is done now.
Workarounds for now and hope!! :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:59:38 AM by ugawoga »

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
Just a few minor annoyances...

2. Text Viewer: Yep, very nice, but where's the real-time text-input? It's not as if the Genos doesn't have a shiny new virtual QWERTY keyboard (cos it does!). Firmware update, Yamaha - please! When I'm composing I'd really like to be able to store chord progressions/lyrics/song notes in a handy on-screen file without having to load in a .txt file from my PC. Some PC sequencers have this 'memo' function where you can store song-related notes and info inside the sequence.

Agree. The text display option is poorly implemented and unchanged from previous generations. It can't even handle TAB character conversion or wrap lines that exceed the screen width. Almost useless.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
Hi,

A style does not need to be running.  As long ad the ACMP button is engaged, interpreted chords are displayed on the home screen.

Joe

And the other thing you can do is set the style volume to zero. Agree about the text files, though.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline rbackes

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:23:48 AM »
Hi,

just an idea: Switch on Acc., assign your piano voice to LEFT, and adjust the octave setting of LEFT. Then you should have a full piano with Chord recognition.

Rainer

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:11:00 AM »
Hi John,

For many years, like you, I am a Cakewalk/Sonar user and I like this DAW very much.

I absolutely do not like or want to discourage you but I honestly believe Cubase might be a much better option for Genos users than Sonar.

A Genos app would be helpful, for Ipad users only, I am afraid.
I cannot believe Yamaha are developing a win app ... maybe an additional Android version in the near future ?

I am almost convinced Steinberg ( Cubase ) is capable to develop a special Genos DAW ( soon ? ).
Cross my fingers ... hope Yamaha and Steinberg will hear my voice.  ::)

In my heart I had hoped Yamaha should have offered a free LE version to all Genos owners ... but one never knows. ::)

As far as Sonar Platinum is concerned I modestly think this DAW will not make your Genos dreams come true ( in the short-term ) ... sorry. I hope I am wrong.
I am afraid the new Genos drums sounds might be a serious problem for Sonar, even when somebody is making the new instrument ini list ... if that might happen. :-\ 

Take care !

Jeff, The Hopeful
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:19:09 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
Hi,

Joe

Joe, it's not true. I have literally just tried tried this. The ACMP button is lit, and no real-time chords are displayed on the screen when I play. I have 'AI Full Keyboard' active, btw, too.

I really don't know why Yamaha couldn't have built realtime chord reading into their Chord Tutor page (as an option), instead of the lifeless, fixed chord shapes they've opted for. We know the Genos can recognise chords, so it's just a firmware update away from reach. Something that will inform you about every inversion of a chosen chord and perhaps even suggest complimentary chords to work with.
Yamaha Genos | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 02:03:38 AM »
Joe, it's not true. I have literally just tried tried this. The ACMP button is lit, and no real-time chords are displayed on the screen when I play. I have 'AI Full Keyboard' active

So why not continuously run a style in the background with style volume at zero (as suggested above). The chords display in Tyros5 with that setup and Genos is unlikely to be any different.  ;)
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:14:24 AM »
Hi Jeff

Cubase Elements Is only 80 in uk and that may be the best option for the Genos. It is a pity things are not universal with Sonar Platinum.
Oh well Sonar will be the best for vst and Cubase Elements for the Genos
Steinburg need to get the Instrument bank list into Cubase pretty soon.
Yamaha seem to be dragging their heels with everything around the Genos.
You would have thought everything would be in place upon release of the Genos and pack coversions etc.
For the cost of the keyboard , it is not good planning as they have had four years to get up to speed.
Everything today revolves around quick profits and not customer care.
Also born to live and taxed to death!! ;D :-[
Fancy putting In such updates like audio recording at a late stage,well behind the plan.
The Genos sounds great and we will all have to be drip fed and patient. "the pain, Oh the pain"!!!4500 remember Yamaha!!.
Not a sum to be sniffed at for most .

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:17:39 AM by ugawoga »

Online DavidB

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:10 AM »
Joe, it's not true. I have literally just tried tried this. The ACMP button is lit, and no real-time chords are displayed on the screen when I play. I have 'AI Full Keyboard' active, btw, too.

I really don't know why Yamaha couldn't have built realtime chord reading into their Chord Tutor page (as an option), instead of the lifeless, fixed chord shapes they've opted for. We know the Genos can recognise chords, so it's just a firmware update away from reach. Something that will inform you about every inversion of a chosen chord and perhaps even suggest complimentary chords to work with.

This is because you have it set to AI Full Keyboard. As such there is no ACMP section (other than the full keyboard). I agree it's odd behaviour but it was exactly the same on Tyros 4 and 5. Put it in AI Fingered mode of example and chords played in the ACMP are displayed whether a style is playing or not (providing the ACMP is active).

I'm not sure I agree on suggesting complimentary chords. Perhaps I've misunderstood in which case I apologise up front, but that sounds like you expect Genos to teach you about music and how to play it? I think there are better resources to do this surely?

Regards,

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 02:23:32 AM »
Hi dave

A Complete Keyboard Player Chord Book Is a good thing to purchase or print a  chord sheet off the Internet.
I think you have to practice chords or you keep forgetting them and a glance at a chord book re-jogs your memory.
Eventually they stay in the brainbox.

AtB
John

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:29:37 AM »
This is because you have it set to AI Full Keyboard. As such there is no ACMP section (other than the full keyboard). I agree it's odd behaviour but it was exactly the same on Tyros 4 and 5. Put it in AI Fingered mode of example and chords played in the ACMP are displayed whether a style is playing or not (providing the ACMP is active).

I'm not sure I agree on suggesting complimentary chords. Perhaps I've misunderstood in which case I apologise up front, but that sounds like you expect Genos to teach you about music and how to play it? I think there are better resources to do this surely?

Regards,

Yes, if I put the Genos back into 'AI keyboard' mode (basically, it just shows chords played on the left hand in the lower part of the keyboard) it does work - but that's not what I want. I want the Genos to tell me, real-time, wherever I am on the keyboard (not just the left hand) what chords I'm playing. I don't see why it shouldn't be able to do this (we have 'AI full keyboard', for goodness sakes). It's extremely frustrating.

The reason I'd like all this is because while I have a good grasp of 'everyday' chords and inversions, I'd really like to know more about the more unusual chords shapes and inversions (think jazz chords, etc). I've seen apps on PC which look at the chord you're playing and suggest interesting and unexpected alternatives/progressions based off of that. Some of these apps go into detail about how chords are related and why some choices are better than others in certain situations, etc...

I think it would be nice if, in the Chord Tutor, there was a second page - which would be the real-time input page - where you can just play your unknown chord and the Genos would suggest what it thinks it is you are playing, perhaps even suggesting the nearest-related actual chord to what it's seeing. That way we could either use page 1 to instantly find an actual chord or go to page 2 (if it existed) and see what we've got (or what the Genos thinks we've got). Sorry to bang on about this (I'll shut up now), but I do think it's a missed opportunity for the Genos to really become a learning tool for those who want to explore the wonders of chords, chord interrelationships and the myriad different ways they can be played.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:51:31 AM by CalUKGR »

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 02:44:41 AM »
Hi Jeff

Cubase Elements Is only 80 in uk and that may be the best option for the Genos. It is a pity things are not universal with Sonar Platinum.
Oh well Sonar will be the best for vst and Cubase Elements for the Genos
Steinburg need to get the Instrument bank list into Cubase pretty soon.
Yamaha seem to be dragging their heels with everything around the Genos.

Yes, I have to agree. It's frankly baffling why there isn't a Genos voice bank list for Cubase ready at launch for Cubase users (like me!) to import into our sequencer of choice. Cubase had a fantastic Tyros 5 voice list that I couldn't live without! Everything was easy - and you had the entire contents of the Tyros 5 instantly at your fingertips (very tidily and logically laid out) within Cubase and could control many parameters - per voice - via Cubase on a track-by-track basis.

Online pjd

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
Yes, I have to agree. It's frankly baffling why there isn't a Genos voice bank list for Cubase ready at launch for Cubase users (like me!) to import into our sequencer of choice.

I quite agree. When my former employer (AMD) launched a new processor, our development team had support for the new machine in our software tool on launch day. I had to grind out the processor-specific XML -- about the same length and complexity as the Cubase instrument file.

This isn't rocket science. Someone at Yamaha needs to make this a priority at Steinberg...

Apologies for carping, but cheesh -- pj